Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:19 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,092 times

Advertisements

It also wouldn't hurt you to login to Job Service North Dakota and look through the williston job postings. You can search jobs by ZIP code. Williston is 58801 Good luck. Keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 12:12 PM

325 posts, read 863,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsfinest View Post
Honestly, what is the starting pay for someone who has never worked in the oil industry before? I'm going to be 27 and in good physical shape...I'm single with no strings attached looking to work long hard hours for the sake of saving for the future. I'm willing to drive from So Cal to the Bakken. What do you think?
I'm looking basically to do the same thing. I found an ad on craigslist with a recruiter but he basically just vets for the companies upfront and passes on the resume if he likes what he hears in the phone interview. The job itself (pump operator) is entry level starting at $19 an hour (after safety training). I looked on the web at the company and it all seems on the up and up.

But after talking with the recruiter I'm not sure I would take it anyway since its 4 days on and 3 days off. Plus when I asked about the hours it seems like they lean towards 12 hours shifts. This might sound crazy but that is not enough hours, LOL. I'm looking for 7/16's and something like 3 weeks on and one week off. The first job I found on craigslist was 16 days on (at 16 hours) and 4 days off. Now that is more to my liking.

I used to put in 96 hour weeks during the construction boom/bubble and that effort took me from a low paid laborer all the way to onsite project manager. Even at my lower wages I was out earning nearly everyone on the site by sheer virtue of the hours I put in.

My biggest concern BY FAR is the housing. If summer was approaching I wouldn't care and just take my chances. But having lived through a Russian winter and growing up in Michigan, cold winters are nothing to play around with without adequate shelter. My former boss has some friends who went to North Dakota and I have an email in to him inquiring as to what they did regarding housing.

In the meantime my research suggests man camps are expensive. Not only do I want to maximize my earnings but I want to maximize my savings as well. So being familiar with how indigenous tribes handled extreme cold conditions I decided that would be an inexpensive way to go. Complex snow structures won't work since, despite all the media hype, Minot and Williston are warmer at the moment than my own home town on the west coast where I barely need a light jacket. But tipis will work. They are excellent in extreme cold, bigger (if desired) than the typical man camp room, cost less than a month's rental at a man camp, and there is a company which specializes in making them.

I figure it will be easier and certainly cheaper to find a campground than to locate housing immediately. Since the one I am looking to buy can comfortably house 4-6 permanently, I may even rent out a "space" or two if I go that route.

By the way, if you might be interested in making that drive with a partner and looking for work together, let me know.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:57 PM

81 posts, read 202,744 times
Applying online wont do anything for you. Have to be here in person to get hired. I came from California 3 weeks ago. No experience and got a job that pays 25 hr. Sleeping in my car right now but found rent and moving in nov 1st. My point is the faster you come here the better

Old 10-15-2011, 11:25 PM

325 posts, read 863,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka03 View Post
Applying online wont do anything for you. Have to be here in person to get hired. I came from California 3 weeks ago. No experience and got a job that pays 25 hr. Sleeping in my car right now but found rent and moving in nov 1st. My point is the faster you come here the better
I'm definitely not applying online after reading quite a bit in this forum. I am just going to show up and go from there. So who is the new company you hired on with?

Old 10-16-2011, 12:16 AM

81 posts, read 202,744 times
Nabors drilling. Just waiting for the background that's all. Still working with the current company.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:23 PM

73 posts, read 202,958 times
Is it a entry level job or do you have experience in the oil game?

Old 10-16-2011, 08:21 PM

477 posts, read 1,506,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsfinest View Post
Is it a entry level job or do you have experience in the oil game?
They have entry level jobs and put you thru training before sending you on to the rig.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:26 AM

431 posts, read 1,605,968 times
Start with Job Service North Dakota to look for work. Also, MinotDailyNews.com | News, sports, business, jobs - Minot Daily News . There are a lot of entry level jobs. I know several people without any skills at all, being hired by oil, and now working. One has been a mortgage loan officer for years and is now a oil worker. Just keep applying until you find one. The lowest paying job that I know of is $17 per hour.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,125 times
So basicaally to get a job in willinston you would have to go in person you would get hired quicker? Please reply

Old 10-18-2011, 08:48 AM

36 posts, read 102,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick86 View Post
So basicaally to get a job in willinston you would have to go in person you would get hired quicker? Please reply
Seems so. I've called a few companies in the past couple of days, and my impression is that they're not too excited to be talking to you on the phone. One lady sounded like she wanted to get off as soon as humanly possible.

In this lies the conundrum. Everyone says to make sure you have housing lined up "before you come here," but you're not going to get any housing unless an employer can help you find it, or, once you're there and working, you make connections and network yourself a place to live. And you're not going to have an employer unless you show up in person, meaning that you'll roll in there without housing...

When i go back in a couple of weeks, I will be fully prepared to sleep in my Jeep during my job search. I think this is the way that most are going up there right now. Walmart parking lot seems to be the gypsy camp to set up in for now. Bathrooms and food inside. Read somewhere also that the Williston Community Center has showers available, not sure about that one though.

Good luck! From the amount of recent activity on this board, it seems there's quite a few of us looking to brave the cold in the coming weeks in order to make a play in (unfortunately) the last part of the country that a guy or girl can do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota