Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:46 AM

625 posts, read 1,882,651 times

Advertisements

One other thing most out-of-staters don't realize is that it takes a while for us to catch up on a lot of stuff as far as passing new laws and things like that.

According to our constitution, our legislature can only meet for 90 days EVERY 2 YEARS! And there are very few special sessions called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 04:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
It doesn't bare repeating. Sorry so few of you fine folks see fit to pay for your share of the economy where you are making enough money that you are willing to leave your family and friends and "start a new career" SO many folks talk about how sometimes boom towns become Ghost towns after a boom has dried up.....might have something to do w/ not wanting to be part of the community....as someone put it....or not wanting to pay taxes as someone else put it. You want what you want, when you want it.....like small children.....and do not want to be asked.....er told...We are talking about laws. I find it totally disrespectful for folks to sing the praises of our state in one post, and talk trash in another. Go home, we want good upstanding citizens, we have plenty of folks that need handouts w/out wasting our resources on folks that make enough to support essentially two households. There are plenty of good folks that would come here, and have..... that obey the laws, they are seeing this as the economic windfall for them that it is, for you others....Like we say in North Dakota...."Get with the program"

Old 04-20-2012, 06:09 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Mostly, you have a handle on it. But let me fine tune it a little. Taxes on fuels pays for part of the highways. Right at 50%. The rest is funded by Fed Gov for Fed highways and interstate. But those funds don't cover rest areas, parking areas, most signs, etc. Gas tax pays for laying pavement, basically.

Property tax pays partly for schools. But a lot of the oil workers are not contributing one red cent towards personal property tax. A lot of workers want to bring their families and I think that's great. But that is extra burden on the schools that they are not paying for. It's not their fault, it's just the way the system is.

You mention sales tax, alcohol tax, etc. You'll find that everywhere. Alcohol tax goes towards ad campains for safety. Don't drink while pregnant, don't drink and drive, etc.

Temporary tags. By the way, NO Place does it say anything about Consecutive Days. haha The Temporary tags were a method to give you, a migrant worker, a chance to be legal without having to pay full fee's for the year, and you won't be in North Dakota for the year. There is a lot of migrant workers that work crops. Combine crews going through for harvest, beet pickers, etc that will only be in North Dakota for a few months. There is no sense in them paying for the year. So the state come up with a method to NOT charge you for time not spent there.

Somebody mentioned, Well the vehicle is only used once every two weeks. That doesn't make any differnece. If the vehicle is in the state it has to be tagged. It doesn't matter how often it is used. Think about people that have motorhomes. They use it 14 days out of 365, but they still pay for annual tags.

When I worked construction, I used to have 3 state license plates on my pickup because I worked in 3 different states. Would be in one state for 2 or 3 weeks, and then the next state for 2 or 3 weeks and then back to another state for 2 or 3 weeks. I had to plate in all 3 states. I also had to pay full year fee's to plate each one.
The interesting thing in North Dakota is that in order to get license plates, you have to surrender your previous title from another state and get a North Dakota title issued. I've now have 3 sets of North Dakota plates for 3 different vehicles. How would you get plates from multiple states if they all required you to get the vehicle titled in their respective state? I thought you could only have a single title to any vehicle.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
The interesting thing in North Dakota is that in order to get license plates, you have to surrender your previous title from another state and get a North Dakota title issued. I've now have 3 sets of North Dakota plates for 3 different vehicles. How would you get plates from multiple states if they all required you to get the vehicle titled in their respective state? I thought you could only have a single title to any vehicle.
It doesn't make any difference where a vehicle is titled. When you purchase registration and plates, they are valid until they expire. Regardless what what you do with the title. You are correct when you say that you can only have one title. But you can have multiple plates and registration.

Do you remember seeing semi's and they had a license plate with a bunch of little stickers on it? Each of those was a license plate for that state. You used to plate because it was cheaper. You could plate to transport through ND, or you could pay permit fees on each trip. It was cheaper to plate. Since then, it has changed for semi's. There is a larger sticker that is on the side of the truck so that it can be read from the scale window.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:15 AM

454 posts, read 940,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
It doesn't bare repeating. Sorry so few of you fine folks see fit to pay for your share of the economy where you are making enough money that you are willing to leave your family and friends and "start a new career" SO many folks talk about how sometimes boom towns become Ghost towns after a boom has dried up.....might have something to do w/ not wanting to be part of the community....as someone put it....or not wanting to pay taxes as someone else put it. You want what you want, when you want it.....like small children.....and do not want to be asked.....er told...We are talking about laws. I find it totally disrespectful for folks to sing the praises of our state in one post, and talk trash in another. Go home, we want good upstanding citizens, we have plenty of folks that need handouts w/out wasting our resources on folks that make enough to support essentially two households. There are plenty of good folks that would come here, and have..... that obey the laws, they are seeing this as the economic windfall for them that it is, for you others....Like we say in North Dakota...."Get with the program"
Amen Jan . It's issues like this one that kind of get under the skin of those of us who have lived here all our lives (even when the times weren't as good as they are now).

To satisfy my own curiosity and put the issue to rest in MY OWN MIND, I called the DOT office in Minot this morning and asked the nice lady who answered the phone, what is the time limit for registering a vehicle from out of state in North Dakota - her answer was 30 days. I'm not going to post her name here, but if someone wants to call and see what answer they get - go for it, we can compare notes and see if everyone is getting the same answers.

Also, here is a link to some FAQ's from the NDDot website: ND Department of Transportation - Get Answers, which might be helpful to those who are moving here and actually have an interest in keeping themselves legal. There is no excuse for not knowing what the laws are regarding registration of your vehicle when you move to another state - it's up to you to find out. Pleading ignorance after you've been pulled over by LE is just ridiculous.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:25 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robione View Post
Perhaps it's common here but it is completely alien to the New England area. Or it's never enforced. But honestly, until this thread I never even heard of such a thing.
Me neither, and I know for a fact combine crews do not normally replate just to be in a different state. Perhaps they're supposed to, but they don't.
The trucks usually have different stickers, but the actual crew? The personal pickups, campers, etc? No.

Friend of mine has been a Colorado state trooper for a couple of decades and he's made the point that a lot of these types of laws are kept relatively quiet.
Number one because enforcement is difficult and number two because if they DO decide to enforce it, most people have never heard of it but it's a relatively small fine, so they don't argue, they just pay it and help pad the State coffers.

Last edited by itsMeFred; 04-20-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Residency for drivers license

Any person other than a nonresident student, a tourist, or a nonresident member of the Armed Forces who has lived in this state 90 consecutive days shall be deemed a resident of North Dakota for the purpose of driver licensing. You may use your non-commercial license from another state for a period of 60 days after you become a resident of North Dakota. You may use your commercial license from another state for a period of 30 days after you become a resident of North Dakota. Proof of North Dakota resident address may be required.
So far as this, remember my point has been NON RESIDENTS. If you don't actually have an address, you can't get a driver's license in the state even if you want one. lol

To ignorance of the law: HOW are these guys supposed to know about it?
Do you have any idea the minutia of laws that are on the various books?? City ordinances, state laws, county requirements, and better than that, the reservations! Guys who are working 12-14 hour days 6-7 days a week and they're supposed to be digging through the innards of assorted .gov websites to find rules that might, or might not, apply to them? They're supposed to just know that they need to be hunting through websites, city offices and tribal rules??

Are you serious?!?!

Last edited by itsMeFred; 04-20-2012 at 08:51 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 08:52 AM

454 posts, read 940,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
So far as this, remember my point has been NON RESIDENTS. If you don't actually have an address, you can't get a driver's license in the state even if you want one. lol
This has nothing to do with non-residents - it never did. It has everything to do with people having gainful employment in the state of ND. I doesn't matter where people want to claim they have their permanent residence, if they are here, and if they have gainful employment for 30 days or more and their vehicle is here with them - this applies to them.

Are people going to try everything to skirt this law? Just from reading this thread I can say that yes, there sure will. Most will probably succeed, but some will get caught doing it and they will then have to pay the fines for not following the law. Simple, simple, simple.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:53 AM

Just because they have gainful employment doesn't mean they have a residence. And in order to get a driver's license, they need a residence.

BTW, you can tell absolutely nothing about what most people would or wouldn't do based on a few comments in a single thread.
And I'm simply pointing out that they're going to have a heck of time enforcing anything, not to mention that the vast majority of people don't even know about it. I realize you guys are getting yourselves all in a lather simply because I've pointed out that they're going to have a hard time even informing people, but that doesn't mean anyone is out to screw the state...

So far as fines, yeah, that's probably exactly what will happen. It's no big deal.
Someone gets pulled over, the officer informs them of the law, and decides whether or not to give him a ticket, a warning or nothing whatsoever because he's perfectly legal.
If a ticket the guys takes his ticket, pays his fine and says "Have a good 'un, Officer." and moves on about his life.

Last edited by itsMeFred; 04-20-2012 at 09:13 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 09:37 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Ignorance of the law is no excuse. As somebody that moves to a new place and then goes to work, it is your responsibility to find out what the requirements are. If you wanted to vote, the state is not going to come to your house/car/rv and read to you the requirements on voting. Same with the law. A law officer has no responsibility ro come to your house/car/rv and read to you all of the laws, statuets, and ordinances in a given area. Just how rediculous would that be.

A person is supposed to plate their vehicle, period. Will they enforce it? They will where they can. If a person is employed and working, he has a resident. Be it a man camp, apartment, or house, or even an RV parked in an official and authorized rv lot. If he's sleeping in Wal-Mart parking lot, he's breaking the law there too and is subject to arrest.

I used to work at the County Jail. Officers routinely wrote down license plates and descriptions of vehicles found in the park (free overnight camping, but maximum of 2 days) and then kept checking on those vehicles. If they showed up regularly, the officers started looking at major work sites. If the vehicle showed up at a work site, they were ticketed for not having State plates and registration. Go ahead, turn on your windshield wipers and let the ticket disappear. After the assigned court date, a bench warrant was issued and if the person/vehicle was spotted, they were arrested and held in jail until the next days court, or they could bond out. Either way, it became way more expensive than doing the right thing and obtaining license plates and registration.

Do what you want, but understand that it is illegal and subject to fines that far exceed doing it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota