Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 04:20 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Hello again. Did you miss me? Bet you thought my computer went south, din't ya? No, it was I who went south. Spent the last four days in Wilkes-Barre General. Had some crazy bad chest pain last Tuesday and after four episodes, I decided a call to 9-1-1 was in order. They hauled my sorry butt to the ER and after five and a half hours, they had a bed for me in the cardiac unit. My heart was running a marathon at over 200 beats/minute.

Now I have a porcine heart valve that was installed in January 2005 and I was afraid it was failing, but after an echocardiogram, a Thallium stress test and a cardiac catherization, I was assured that I have no heart disease and the valve looks good. I had episodes of A-fib and V-tach (that's doctor talk) and was sent home with an upgrade in one med and the addition of a new one.

You guys have been busy at the keyboards the past few days. I had a hard time reading all the posts since the 16th. Still haven't finished but I wanted all you NEPA denizens to know that you can't get rid of me that easily. So good night for now and hope to see you all tomorrow.
I'm glad you are ok! That sounds scary, but at least you had a good conclusion. I had both of my children at WB General. It's a good hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 08:06 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm glad you are ok! That sounds scary, but at least you had a good conclusion. I had both of my children at WB General. It's a good hospital.
I agree. I didn't have my children there because it was too long a drive from Washington, D.C., but I have had a pleomorphic adenoma (say that three times fast!) resected; open heart surgery to replace my leaking aortic valve; my gravelly gall bladder removed; colon cancer surgery. And now this latest. Methinks I helped mightily to fund the new cardiac unit.

Yes, it was a bit scary, but big things don't seem to throw me at all. It's the little crap that grinds me down. Why do you suppose that is?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:03 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I agree. I didn't have my children there because it was too long a drive from Washington, D.C., but I have had a pleomorphic adenoma (say that three times fast!) resected; open heart surgery to replace my leaking aortic valve; my gravelly gall bladder removed; colon cancer surgery. And now this latest. Methinks I helped mightily to fund the new cardiac unit.

Yes, it was a bit scary, but big things don't seem to throw me at all. It's the little crap that grinds me down. Why do you suppose that is?
I know exactly what you mean. I am like that too. I can handle large scale crises much better than I can day-to-day stuff. I wish I knew why!

Old 10-24-2012, 05:23 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,849 times
Hey , Whats Happening .. ? I watched them load up Prompton State Park with Pheasants the other day .. Pretty cool watching that ..

Old 10-25-2012, 05:09 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Hey , Whats Happening .. ? I watched them load up Prompton State Park with Pheasants the other day .. Pretty cool watching that ..
Pheasant stocking is always a closely guarded secret. Our Game protectors don't like to be shot while releasing the birds. If all the hunters knew when and where the birds would be stocked; they would line up waiting for the event (if it was in the season). That is what use to happen many years ago.

Although, back then, a little dusting from a shotgun was not looked on as a shooting. The biggest problem with shotguns is that you really never know what size shot the hunters are using (even though the large shot are not advantageous and might be illegal).

It is a good thing that you did see the birds released. Generally they only last about two weeks. 60% do not survive one week in the wild. Between the hunters and predators; they don't stand a chance – I am not sure who gets the biggest share. But, don't worry, you paid for the birds along with the rest of us.

Have a great day.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:12 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,217 times
Okay probably a dumb question but, why do they have to stock places with pheasants?

Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Okay probably a dumb question but, why do they have to stock places with pheasants?
Specific State Game Lands are stocked with pheasants. Not all of them because the habitat does not even give them that small chance for survival.

I did want to correct an earlier statement that I made about all of us sharing the cost after thinking it over. Actually our hunting license fees (I think) pay for the stocking programs. I don't think that those fees pay for our Game Commission deputies salaries – but I am not sure.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:30 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,849 times
Quote:

Because hunters come and shoot em...

Old 10-26-2012, 09:15 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Because hunters come and shoot em...
Well I know that I guess I didn't realize that pheasants weren't plentiful in certain areas.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Well I know that I guess I didn't realize that pheasants weren't plentiful in certain areas.
They are not plentiful in the whole country. Most presume that the herbicides, pesticides and insecticides used in the no-till farming are culprits. When I was young pheasants were fairly abundant. There could be other factors such as hawks and owls are now carefully protected. Also; there are no wheres near the number of trappers that we once had – higher fox populations. We also have the coyotes which were unheard of half a century ago.

Have a great day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania