Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 03:18 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,099,864 times

Advertisements

Seriously? How many art galleries do you think a culturally devoid city like Scranton can support? Maybe they can get Conor McGuigan to come in and do sock puppet shows ....ROFLMAO

Just because they are opening it doesn't mean that it will make it or last 6 months. The downtown is littered with empty storefronts of small business's that opened, closed and left the city......

There is no movement, there is no wave of culture washing over Scranton. People have been saying that the downtown is growing and is going to hip and happening since Doherty started to blow that smoke up everyone's arse over 10 years ago. It hasn't happened and yes there are more modern buildings in the downtown, but the reality is that they are empty and many of the storefronts in the downtown have been empty for YEARS.

You can only put so much lipstick on a pig, because in the end it is still just a pig.

I just can't imagine being so culturally cut-off from the world that I would honestly be able to believe that this city is anything more then it is. Looking for art and culture in Scranton is like looking for a trailer park on Fisher Island in Miami. It doesn't exist....and never will..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 06:22 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,446 times
Wow, some people are angry or did they get up on the wrong side of the bed today!!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:41 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Wow, some people are angry or did they get up on the wrong side of the bed today!!
He just needs a hug from Sheena and/or Magritte.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:29 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,531,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
He just needs a hug from Sheena and/or Magritte.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TylvUGJIi_w .

Old 01-16-2011, 11:31 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,099,864 times
Angry, Wrong side of the bed? Really that is all? Could it possibly be that I'm actually able to see things for what they really are?

Probably not because that would actually make sense.....

Old 01-17-2011, 05:11 AM

996 posts, read 1,057,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Could it possibly be that I'm actually able to see things for what they really are?

Scranton needs more knick-knack shops..

How about a combination knick-knack, T-shirt, Head-shop, Gellato Stand business??

That should really draw in the high-rollers and pull the Electric City out of Distressed Status..

Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,630 times
Quote:
Maybe they can get Conor McGuigan to come in and do sock puppet shows ....ROFLMAO

I am so glad somebody pointed this out. Between the AFA Gallery (Artists for Art? really?), Scranton's sad excuse for a bookstore and the McGuigan family, the "cultural movement" in Scranton has become a total joke.

Actually, it seems more to be an inside joke between a clique of hipsters and wanna-bes, and it's quite depressing.

On a related note, were I a resident of Lackawanna County I would be EXTREMELY angry that a portion of my taxes goes toward paying for a deputy of arts and culture. Why is this position necessary, particularly during an economic downturn??

Old 01-17-2011, 12:05 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,950 times
Quote:
Seriously? How many art galleries do you think a culturally devoid city like Scranton can support? Maybe they can get Conor McGuigan to come in and do sock puppet shows ....ROFLMAO

Just because they are opening it doesn't mean that it will make it or last 6 months. The downtown is littered with empty storefronts of small business's that opened, closed and left the city......

There is no movement, there is no wave of culture washing over Scranton. People have been saying that the downtown is growing and is going to hip and happening since Doherty started to blow that smoke up everyone's arse over 10 years ago. It hasn't happened and yes there are more modern buildings in the downtown, but the reality is that they are empty and many of the storefronts in the downtown have been empty for YEARS.

You can only put so much lipstick on a pig, because in the end it is still just a pig.

I just can't imagine being so culturally cut-off from the world that I would honestly be able to believe that this city is anything more then it is. Looking for art and culture in Scranton is like looking for a trailer park on Fisher Island in Miami. It doesn't exist....and never will..
When i think of Scranton, culture isn't the word that comes to mind.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:37 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
When i think of Scranton, culture isn't the word that comes to mind.
not ever since they tore down Pete Bordies and the red-light shops on Lackawanna Avenue.

To a 17yr old the entrance to Lack Ave looked like the gates of Hell..

Old 01-18-2011, 06:03 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,900 times
Default quote

Quote:
Angry, Wrong side of the bed? Really that is all? Could it possibly be that I'm actually able to see things for what they really are?

your quote "your a loser" "should be you're a loser" see you're means you are. and your is possessive. You're a loser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania