Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Popular NFL Team in NEPA
NY Giants 1 3.57%
Eagles 15 53.57%
Jets 0 0%
Steelers 10 35.71%
Don't Know 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:41 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,185,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Giants are more local.
Many NY transplants, NY metro is closer, and when it's equidistant, NY wins because it being the largest metro region, it carries the higher gravational sphere of influence.
How do you know what is "more local"? You don't live here, I would guess you probably have never been here.

There are some ny transplants here, but they don't come close to outnumbering local residents.

Not to mention, why does it matter if people bandwagon or not?

The giants are only on tv here if the eagles are not.

I think that either you are trying to be a troll, doing it poorly if you are, or have to much time on your hands and want to spread your gospel of sports fan etiquette.

I am not a fan of any local team and have lived inPA for 90% of my life. My father and grandfather were fans of the red sox, so am I, my uncle worked for the Maple Leafs while I was growing up, so I am still a fan of the leafs. Growing up I enjoyed watching Marino play the game. I am still a dolphins fan. That said, although not a fan of the steelers, I will pull for them if they are playing a team besides the dolphins. I have hated the eagles since they fired Buddy Ryan.

You are way too fixated on why people should be fans of teams. Seek help.

As far as the pirates, if they continue to play as well as they are now, they may continue to add to the fan base. Besides if you knew much about the pirates, you would know it is hard to follow a team who has been losing for near 20 years, and has the cheapest ownership in the league
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 03:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
OK, than if you like the Steelers, like the Pirates.
Don't selectively decide to root "in state" for one sport.
Or else, you are a bandwagon fan.
For the record I'm an Eagles fan since I was a kid and would certainly pick any Philly team over others. Having said that I think you're taking this much too seriously, it's just sports with a bunch of overpaid athletes and owners. There is many reasons someone might root for other teams. Suppose my Grandmother liked the Pirates when I was a kid? I can't root for the Eagles if I was a Pirate fan because of that? LOL

Old 07-27-2011, 11:10 AM

124 posts, read 194,793 times
Quote:
No, this is stupid.
So you root for the Steelers (5 hours away) and do so claiming they are the "in state team" but then root for the Phillies or Yankees in baseball, I hate fans like that; look either go for NY teams, Philly teams, or PIT teams, but don't "conveniently" mix and match.

Also, the Redskins really aren't popular, and I see NO REASON why they would be in NEPA since it is basically an exurb of NY and north of Philly.
The Skins if popular anywhere outside the beltway would be in dixie, not above the Mason-Dixon line.
How is it stupid? The only thin g is stupid is that someone asked a question about this area, and when the answer to their question isn't what their already formed opinion of what the answer should be the OP cries about it and calls people bandwagoners.

Your logic of thinking there should be equal numbers of Philly fans and NY fans in all sports is off too. There are a lot of people who are Baseball only fans that really can care less about other sports and vice versa. Most of them happen to be yankee fans in my opinion. So that kindof explains why Yankees beats out Phillies even though there are more Eagles fans than Giants in the area. Also Giants and Jets have to split their number of NY fans. so as you can see there are many variables to this area that you are not considering. There are More Penguins than Flyers fans here (we have AHL Penguins) and alot of Steelers fans, perhaps there are more pirates fans than i know? they have sucked for so many years maybe people don't buy merchandise? i can't really tell you, Most Steelers fans i know i am not sure that they even like baseball (or are pirates fans that don't want to show it lol) so i dont know how many Steelers fans are yankee fans?

And as i said in a previous post, we are not a big market so many people will follow our AAA teams big club even if they prefer another city in all other sports. There are Bandwagon fans everywhere, just not as many as you claim to think you know about this area.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:53 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,256,670 times
I'm proud to see that all the assumptions were incorrect and that the poll trends heavily to the Iggles.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:39 AM

124 posts, read 194,793 times
Just purchased my tix for the sunday night Halloween game between the Eagles and Cowgirls!
Fly Eagles Fly on the road to victory...

Old 07-28-2011, 08:57 AM

709 posts, read 956,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenReject View Post
Just purchased my tix for the sunday night Halloween game between the Eagles and Cowgirls!
Fly Eagles Fly on the road to victory...
Ouch---I hope you like tricks instead of treats. Go Cowboys!

Old 07-28-2011, 11:24 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,832,098 times
Fly Jailbirds Fly...on the road to the penitentiary!

Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,832,098 times
The only Eagles game I want tickets to is when Arizona comes to town to see Kolb whip the dog killer and the jailbirds!

Old 07-28-2011, 03:41 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,256,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
The only Eagles game I want tickets to is when Arizona comes to town to see Kolb whip the dog killer and the jailbirds!
Steelers, Giants or a closet Cowgirls fan?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,440,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Is there some sort of law that I'm missing, where you must like all the professional sports teams from one city?

I've know Red Sox fans in NEPA that liked the Sox when Ted Williams played on the team. I also know people who loved the Red Sox during the 70's, 80's, and 90's, long before they won their latest World Series rings. I wouldn't call them bandwagoners, since they were rooting for the team when they never won anything.

You really don't like people from NEPA loving the Steelers do ya!!

I don't know if you know this, but there's people who like the Steelers from the West Coast to the East Coast, from Canada to Mexico and who live in many large cities with other NFL teams. And I would guess that most of these fans were not born and raised in Pittsburgh or Western PA, heck many probably have never even been to the Keystone State, but that doesn't stop them from liking the Black and Gold!

With your logic, the distance from Scranton to New Brunswick, NJ is ~110 miles and the distance from Scranton to State College, PA is ~150 miles, so are you telling me the people from NEPA should root for the State University of New Jersey over the Pennsylvania State University? That's never going to happen!
No, 110 v 150 miles is not a big deal.

I have a problem though with people saying they are Steelers fans because they are the local team even though they are 5+ hours away and Philly/NY are half the distant.
That I do have a problem with, people claiming a hometown allegiance to Pittsburgh but conveniently in football despite it being 2.5 times further away.
Sorry, doesn't make sense, you are a bandwagoner who is not a self-respected sports fan.
You want to root for the Steelers, go ahead, but just be honest and say it's because they have 6 super bowls, don't try and use the state as justification.
Doesn't work when you are that much further away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania