Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 04:44 AM

400 posts, read 738,749 times

Advertisements

I love this thread and am going to try making boilo this Christmas. It sounds like great fun to make and drink.

Also, I am not German or Slovak but Jewish, and my grandparents were from Poland/Austria and other parts of Eastern Europe, and I just wanted to mention that my grandmother always made a poppy seed roll similar to the one described in this thread. It was so delicious. I think I may still have the recipe somewhere (I hope). Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 08:34 AM

25 posts, read 106,068 times
Wow, what a trip down memory lane! Now that my husband and I are moving to NEPA, sounds like I'll be among "my" people. :-)

My grandmother always made poppyseed and nut roll and those are two of my dad's favorites. My mom, while a great baker, has never quite mastered the recipes. Good to know they'll be readily accessable to buy and take to Dad now! :-)

Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Doing the boilio this Christmas too! PA ROCKS!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:56 PM

8 posts, read 7,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Well, you could get a Christmas pickle and hide it in your tree. There's lots of back and forth as to whether this is authentic German custom or not, but hey, it's fun for the kids
Hello, I am from Germany, and I have never heard of a Christmas Pickle. What is that? Is it hanging in the tree as an ornament? Is it a sour cucumber?

Old 11-23-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Some Italians in NY think of Christmas Eve as the more important holiday, and exchange gifts then rather than on Christmas Day.
Hey Sheena, great to learn you also don't eat meat!

About the Italians you mentioned, I am not familiar with their customs, but we Germans are also giving the gifts on the 24th in the evening (around 6 or 6.30).

On the 24th (after setting up the tree!) around 2 PM they would eat cold potatoe salad with boiled (not fried!) sausages (Wiener or Frankfurter style), and the nexy day would be a feast with a roasted goose, also in the midday. Germans don't eat warm in the evenings or mornings.

Sorry that you didn't like the Stollen, but you probably never had any fresh or authentic one. Or you ate it dry without butter spread onto it, because nobody told you that you should do so...

Old 11-24-2011, 01:16 AM

German Witch Hello! I am also in part of German decent! Here in North East Pennsylvania, German customs are alive and well!

My chrrch, which is Lutheran, has Oktoberfest and Fastnacht, celebrated the night before Ash Wednesday. We eat doughnuts, made in part of a potato flour. They are very rich and good.

There is also a PA tradition that is a mixture of German Folklore, and bits of Christianity. it is called "Pow-Wow" Despite it's name, it has nothing to do with Native Americans. if you are interested, I can send you some links.

My Grandmother, who was a bit of a "German Witch" herself, gave me a gift when I bought my first home. it included a penny, some salt, and a cube of bread. The penny was so you never are poor, the bread so that you never go hungry, and the salt was to keep away the Devil. Ever hear of this?

Old 11-24-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by German.Witch.in.Amerika View Post
Hey Sheena, great to learn you also don't eat meat!

About the Italians you mentioned, I am not familiar with their customs, but we Germans are also giving the gifts on the 24th in the evening (around 6 or 6.30).

On the 24th (after setting up the tree!) around 2 PM they would eat cold potatoe salad with boiled (not fried!) sausages (Wiener or Frankfurter style), and the nexy day would be a feast with a roasted goose, also in the midday. Germans don't eat warm in the evenings or mornings.

Sorry that you didn't like the Stollen, but you probably never had any fresh or authentic one. Or you ate it dry without butter spread onto it, because nobody told you that you should do so...
I agree - Stollen is wonderful! Not sure where they are getting it but made by my Grandmother and her sister, Tante Anna it was so delicious! If you have a good recipe, please pass it on! Danka!

Old 11-24-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My Grandmother, who was a bit of a "German Witch" herself, gave me a gift when I bought my first home. it included a penny, some salt, and a cube of bread. The penny was so you never are poor, the bread so that you never go hungry, and the salt was to keep away the Devil. Ever hear of this?
Haha, of course!

On a wedding today you still give the new couple bread and salt! It is also a housewarming gift. It older times it was not usual that you'd move away from the house once married, but during the last century it became more common, and so people are given bread and salt when they move in. About the Penny I didn't know, but it makes perfect sense to me.

Edit: about the Pow Wow, yes, I would be very interested to learn more about that.

I had visited one in Hunlock Creek several years ago, and there were only native Americans. So I assumed this is about them and their culture. But I also heard a white PA native say the term Pow Wow just last week in a completely different context (to other whites), and so I guess that term found its way into the general american language (or at least into the PA vernacular).

Please send the links in a direct message (click on my name above, then a window opens with various options, among them to send a direct message). Thanks!

Last edited by German.Witch.in.Amerika; 11-24-2011 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 11-26-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepea View Post
I love this thread and am going to try making boilo this Christmas. It sounds like great fun to make and drink.

Also, I am not German or Slovak but Jewish, and my grandparents were from Poland/Austria and other parts of Eastern Europe, and I just wanted to mention that my grandmother always made a poppy seed roll similar to the one described in this thread. It was so delicious. I think I may still have the recipe somewhere (I hope). Thanks all!

I love this thread also! I may be partial because I stated it but honestly, it's much more than that, sweapea! I would LOVE to have your Grandmother's poppy seed roll recipe if you are able to find it.

This area is rich in tradition, and especially from Eastern and Central Europe.
Jewish people have been prominent in NEPA and there is a book available at Barnes and Noble "The Jewish Families of Scranton" that looks very interesting!

Send me a Direct Message if you want to get together during the "Chrristmakuh Season" All holidays are good!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 2,945 times
I dont think this is a NEPA specific tradition but its one of my personal family favorites. Tequila Christmas Cake: If you'd like to give it a try here's a recipie, be sure to follow it carefully, it gets a little tricky.

1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup water
1 tsp. salt
1 cup brown sugar
Lemon juice
4 large eggs
Nuts
1 bottle tequila

Sample the tequila to check quality. Take a large bowl; check the tequila again to be sure it is of the highest quality. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point, it is best to make sure the tequila is still OK. Try another cup just in case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 eegs and add to the bowl and chuck iin the cup of dried fruit. Pick the fruit up off the floor. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit getas stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the tequila to test for tonsisticity. Next, sift 2 cups of salt, or something. Check the tequila. Now shift the lemon ice strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 s and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window. Finish the tequila and wipe the counter with the cat. Merry XMas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania