Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times

Advertisements

When we were looking for a house we saw a many unusual things
A house interior completely covered in a dark red paneling type plastic - every room - which the owner bragged about because "it never needs to be painted!" It was as though the interior of the house had been shrink wrapped in gaudy red plastic!

But bad taste is one thing this was another...

There was a house in Wilkes-Barre that was really quite nice. Four bedrooms fireplace, in ground pool. Spacious and stately. Tastefully decorated.

The house was empty. I noticed that over the front and back door way there was some strange writing in chalk. Some were regular letters, some were not.
I think there was a cross in the beginning.

Having never seen anything like this, it aroused my curiosity. When I asked the RE agent about it she was evasive and vague and mumbled something about a "Pennsylvania Dutch custom"

She hustled us past the doors and changed the subject.

We did not buy the home, not because of the chalk makings.
However, we are still curious about this. Has anyone ever seen such a thing? Does anyone know what it means?

Thanks for any information!

~ Sheena12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 02:37 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,475,675 times
I grew up catholic and once a year, right after the new year , the priest would visit our home and bless it with holy water and mark the door in chalk. My catechism is rusty but it comes from the bible chapter where the doors of the faithful were marked with the blood of a lamb.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:51 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,793,315 times
Catholic Culture : Liturgical Year : Blessing of the Home on Epiphany (Prayer)

Old 09-28-2011, 05:52 PM

Thank you for the correction, ki0eh!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:02 PM

Really very interesting! Thanks for the information.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Sheena, probably a good thing you didn't by that house in West Pittston after all.

-------

Because of the diverse and often very religious nature of the area I'm sure you'll find plenty of curiosities. I'm sure you know this by now but this area is not much different than somewhere like NY, at least for people of European decent.

I know there is one thing we often do before Christmas Eve dinner most people are unaccustomed too, I'm not even sure where there custom comes from. There is wafer that everyone eats. I'm not religious but it's one thing I look forward too each year because it's been done every year. They are kind of tasteless and as kids my Grandmother would put honey on them, I still use the honey.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:34 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,456,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Sheena, probably a good thing you didn't by that house in West Pittston after all.

-------

Because of the diverse and often very religious nature of the area I'm sure you'll find plenty of curiosities. I'm sure you know this by now but this area is not much different than somewhere like NY, at least for people of European decent.

I know there is one thing we often do before Christmas Eve dinner most people are unaccustomed too, I'm not even sure where there custom comes from. There is wafer that everyone eats. I'm not religious but it's one thing I look forward too each year because it's been done every year. They are kind of tasteless and as kids my Grandmother would put honey on them, I still use the honey.
I still keep the custom alive...

Christmas wafer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-29-2011, 06:53 AM

We did this as well. The wafers were communion wafers ( not blessed) purchased from the church. Everyone at the Christmas eve table got one and you went to each person allowing them to take a piece of yours as you did the same to theirs while making a heartfelt wish for them.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:04 AM

124 posts, read 194,690 times
i remember our priest doing this at my house every year when i was a child, i don't know why the agent was acting mysterious about it? i think its pretty common around here.

nice link ki0eh! i never did understand what the numbers and letters actually stood for!

Old 09-29-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

-------

LOL!!! I have to agree with you about the house in West Pittston! We all said the same thing! ( I feel sorry for anyone effected by the flood of course, and I'm not gloating, but I can't help feeling fortunate)

As far as the customs, you are right, I've encountered many since moving here, and I find them all fascinating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania