Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 02:33 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,237,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
you are off topic but after your replies i rest my case

and off topic--bring in keith sweat instead--my era
Hi Annie!
Your post is so timely and apropos...
I was just listening to 'Happy' as I read your post...the last verse was playing in the background as if on cue;

Here it is;

'Here comes bad news talking this and that, yeah,
Well, give me me all you got, and don't hold back, yeah,
Well, I should probably warn you I'll be just fine,yeah,
No offense to you, don't waste your time
Here's why:
cuz, I'm happy,
clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
because I'm happy...'

Pharrell Williams

Have a Happy Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 10:26 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Annie you really should quote the post to which you're responding. I had to go back to find out the reason for your query.

Gerania wasn't being snarky. She was merely relating that the 2014 Gallup poll had dropped this area to #13 in the "unhappiest places" list in response to your (unsubstantiated) statement that it was in the top 5.

Having worked for two very well-known polling entities, I can tell you that polling is a very inexact science. (Gallup, and also Yankelovich, Skelly, and White)

I don't see this area as overly negative. I know there are people who have reason to be unhappy here but the area as a whole presents a good mix of attitudes.

As for the seeming preponderance of negative energy, I have thought often that much of it originates with the Native Americans who once held sway here, but were driven out or murdered by the encroaching settlers.

I also have thought that many of the tales were handed down by people who were uneducated and superstitious and believed much of what they were told and not what they had seen for themselves.

Now that's not to say that I don't believe that there are the lost among us, trying to find their way out. I strongly felt a presence in my house when I first moved in 41 years ago. There is an inside door that we couldn't manage to keep closed, despite it being firmly latched. The first night we were here, my #4 son and I repeatedly closed and secured the door leading to the basement. (Actually, it's a cellar - basement seems to pretentious a term for what it is) Each time, it would manage to open just as we returned to another room. This happened again for a few days and we laughed about it. By the end of two weeks, the door no longer opened on its own, and we sometimes had trouble opening it when we needed to - as if someone, something, was on the other side holding it shut. This has not happened again in all these years. I'm supposing it was some "friendly energy" making its presence known.

As for me, I have not ridiculed you nor have I been snarky. But you consistently make negative responses to almost all positive posts, i.e., unfriendly natives; lack of medical care; high rents; higher taxes; unsatisfactory neighbors; and so on and so on. I'm thinking that it may be your own negative perception reflecting back.
I looked at the methodology for that poll, and as I suspected, it's a bit wonky. It may as well have been a Forbes list. Nearly worthless.

There are unhappy people there, but they are everywhere. Here and there, I've worked as a waitress, in sales and customer service. People complain when they have to wait for more than a few minutes. People who live in what I'd call near paradise complain. It's a way of life and a nasty habit.

I think the lost are among us, as well as their residual energy like in my brother's experience.

As I've mentioned, my parent's house was haunted. My father refused to discuss it, and my mother never saw anything and heard very little. When my brother, sister and I spoke with her about it, she had a priest bless the house. That wasn't the end of it, but things were quieter for a while.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:31 AM

Yeah, Gerania...the Priest coming, mumbling, sprinkling..made my Grandmother, a devout Catholic feel much better...
but I think it is like when you call an exterminator, and the bugs come back after a certain time?
Same deal with the Spooks..

I think my Babci sign up for the 5 year 'Ghostbuster Special' ...Father P threw in an extra 10 'Hail Marys' too.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:24 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I looked at the methodology for that poll, and as I suspected, it's a bit wonky. It may as well have been a Forbes list. Nearly worthless.

There are unhappy people there, but they are everywhere. Here and there, I've worked as a waitress, in sales and customer service. People complain when they have to wait for more than a few minutes. People who live in what I'd call near paradise complain. It's a way of life and a nasty habit.

I think the lost are among us, as well as their residual energy like in my brother's experience.

As I've mentioned, my parent's house was haunted. My father refused to discuss it, and my mother never saw anything and heard very little. When my brother, sister and I spoke with her about it, she had a priest bless the house. That wasn't the end of it, but things were quieter for a while.

sometimes it helps,but sometimes it's like spitting on a fire

Old 04-14-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Yeah, Gerania...the Priest coming, mumbling, sprinkling..made my Grandmother, a devout Catholic feel much better...
but I think it is like when you call an exterminator, and the bugs come back after a certain time?
Same deal with the Spooks..

I think my Babci sign up for the 5 year 'Ghostbuster Special' ...Father P threw in an extra 10 'Hail Marys' too.
We probably should have gotten the extended service warranty.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
sometimes it helps,but sometimes it's like spitting on a fire
The event downstairs never repeated, but the walkers in the attic were back in a few months. One just walked back and forth in the front half. The other one was disturbing. The noise started in the middle, moved toward the rear and down the steps--very, very slowly. Sometimes it stopped there, and sometimes it (whatever it was) moved along the hall. It was creepy.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The event downstairs never repeated, but the walkers in the attic were back in a few months. One just walked back and forth in the front half. The other one was disturbing. The noise started in the middle, moved toward the rear and down the steps--very, very slowly. Sometimes it stopped there, and sometimes it (whatever it was) moved along the hall. It was creepy.
Dayum...WHY did I read this @10 pm????

Gotta take the Mag-lite up to bed with me now...

Old 04-15-2016, 03:11 PM

Actually slept well last night...a ring of garlic around my neck...my military issue Beretta M9
outfitted with special Silver rounds by my side...Mom and Dad's Rosary beads draped around my left wrist...

Best of all, a soothing, simple, and Laconic message, sent from a dear forumite here, had me in the arms of Morpheus , in a thrice.

Thank you, Miss Gerania.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:41 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,959,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Actually slept well last night...a ring of garlic around my neck...my military issue Beretta M9
outfitted with special Silver rounds by my side...Mom and Dad's Rosary beads draped around my left wrist...

Best of all, a soothing, simple, and Laconic message, sent from a dear forumite here, had me in the arms of Morpheus , in a thrice.

Thank you, Miss Gerania.

forumite... isn't that #87 on the Periodic Table? heh, heh.

I don't get skeeved by talk of "ghoulies and ghosties and things that go bump in the night." The six o'clock news, however...sleep comes slowly.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
forumite... isn't that #87 on the Periodic Table? heh, heh.

I don't get skeeved by talk of "ghoulies and ghosties and things that go bump in the night." The six o'clock news, however...sleep comes slowly.

Francium...don't remember that one.

'Don't know much about Science Books..
Don't know much about the Francium I took...'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania