Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:22 AM

16 posts, read 43,552 times

Advertisements

port jervis has limited trains running, for more choices you are better off going to hackettstown nj and changing at dover or summit for the nyc train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
Hoboken is pretty far from Scranton I mean you have to pass Bergen County and a couple of other counties before you get to Hoboken. At Hoboken you get the light rail to different parts of NJ including Newark. The last stop on Hoboken to NYC is the World Trade Center. It is a very long, long ride from Port Jervis which is close to Milford.

Hat

Last edited by slasher; 07-21-2008 at 03:29 AM.. Reason: change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 12:34 PM

904 posts, read 2,055,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher View Post
port jervis has limited trains running, for more choices you are better off going to hackettstown nj and changing at dover or summit for the nyc train.
hackettstown has only a few trains a day, and none of them is direct. better off just driving 10 more minutes to dover, nj.
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/r0040.pdf

another reasonable alternative if you want to avoid stroudsburg and nj--which can be wise depending on the time of day--is to drive on i-84 over to beacon, ny to catch the metro north train into grand central.
mta.info | Metro-North Railroad

Old 04-14-2009, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,988 times
Scranton-to-Hoboken commuter rail project UPDATE;

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...S0908]Commuter rail gets $950,000 - poconorecord.com - The Pocono Record[/url]

Old 04-14-2009, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,988 times
Scranton to Hoboken commuter rail project update

Commuter rail gets $950,000 - poconorecord.com - The Pocono Record

Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,542 times
Just get a connector train from scranton to wilkes barre.. and we're in business...

Old 04-14-2009, 01:21 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Unless its a high speed line, I don't see the point. The train they're proposing will take longer than driving or taking a bus.

I'd love a train from Scranton to W-B....I wouldn't have to drive to work...

Old 04-14-2009, 01:23 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
Yeh but nobody really wants it here, especially those from here. This will be a commuter train (SLOW & USELESS) and an easy way to bring the trash from NJ and NY to the landfills and walking trash to our towns.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Unless its a high speed line, I don't see the point. The train they're proposing will take longer than driving or taking a bus.

I'd love a train from Scranton to W-B....I wouldn't have to drive to work...
I agree, while I'd like to see a train, I don't really get it unless it's faster and/or goes into Manhattan. Getting on the Path blows unless you happen to be going somewhere right near the Path train.

I guess it'll open up some commuting opportunities to Morristown, NJ and other business centers in NJ, but doesn't seem like a viable commuting option to NYC. Some Bus Rapid Transit would probably be a better investment. Not as sexy or fun as a train, but often more practical.

S-WB train service would be nice, but I wonder how much that'd be used. You ever try the Colts->Luzerne Cty bus ride, or the Martz? Seems like a good 10+ people from WB commute to Scranton on the Martz bus I usually catch..

Old 04-14-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd311 View Post
Scranton to Hoboken commuter rail project update

Commuter rail gets $950,000 - poconorecord.com - The Pocono Record
btw, that link isn't working for me.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:54 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
I agree, while I'd like to see a train, I don't really get it unless it's faster and/or goes into Manhattan. Getting on the Path blows unless you happen to be going somewhere right near the Path train.

I guess it'll open up some commuting opportunities to Morristown, NJ and other business centers in NJ, but doesn't seem like a viable commuting option to NYC. Some Bus Rapid Transit would probably be a better investment. Not as sexy or fun as a train, but often more practical.

S-WB train service would be nice, but I wonder how much that'd be used. You ever try the Colts->Luzerne Cty bus ride, or the Martz? Seems like a good 10+ people from WB commute to Scranton on the Martz bus I usually catch..
From What i've seen.. The people I've spoken to in wilkes barre seem to think riding the bus has some kind of disease attached to it.. people scoff as if to say.. PSH. I'd never take the bus!

Not to mention the LCTA/Colts Link up is horrific at best.. theres no mention of where or how or when you can catch the other service...

Instead of it being COLTS and LCTA. they should implement a NEPA Transporation Authority .. or a NEPATA if you will lol. stream line buses (and hopefully trains) going between the two cities.

The Martz Buses are charing 10 bucks to go between scranton and wilkes bare. thats a rip off.. thats at best a $4 train ride.

Trains between S/WB would hopefully run more often and would allow people in scranton to work in wb and vise versa.. you can even put stops in pittston, montage mountain, etc to give people in other areas a chance to utilize regional rail, and have access to popular points of Interest. I think a train between s/wb would hold greater use to the NEPA residents then a train to hoboken would, although i feel the more transportation options the better, because you never know where you may need to go.

Food For thought... train from Scranton to Hoboken would stop in Newark.... Easy access to Liberty Int'l Airport.. Can you say.. cheaper flights anyone? gone are the days where you need to pay $200 for a connector flight to a major airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania