Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:38 AM

50 posts, read 186,990 times

Advertisements

I have been in this area for a little over 20 years and have seen the changes. Thanks Hat only being honest and telling it like it is. As far as the hideout have heard good and bad. I had a daughter living in there for a few years and I was impressed with the security. I had heard that a year or two ago a security problem was at one of their pools and several people were beaten pretty badly, but that was the only case. It does have many places for sale and a few are foreclosures, maybe a good deal waiting. It is a large community and appears to be managed better than many around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 10:05 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,557,079 times
Pocono, For Dorothy and others I think it is important to be honest! Forget about being politically correct - a home and a community is one the most important investments one could ever make. I wish someone alerted me when we first moved here 6 years ago about the neighborhood and what was really going on. I'll never forget the day I moved in.....a woman with kids stopped us and asked if we had children (at the time we didn't) when we said no, they took off! We moved in and not one welcome. We'd walk around the block and if you ran into someone they would put their heads down and keep walking the dogs. That was only the beginning. I think it is important to let people know what is going on, but more importantly for anyone shopping....do your own homework.

Hat

Old 02-22-2008, 10:19 AM

Dorothy, beside realtor.com this area for wayne and pike county has Pike/Wayne Realtors it lists by community,school district or lake. As Hat states get into the community where you are interested in a home and talk to the people not the Board or Management. Look at the ammenities, the pools,lake area, clubhouse many are not as advertised. Stop in local stores, restaurants and ask about a community, your investment is well worth the time to find out everything. Some communities have rules and regulations, ask for a copy before you buy,even if you have to pay for it from the community office. Some of these rules and regs will take away some of the normal rights you enjoy now and the fines for doing things you see as normal are costly.Get the rules and regs or any other directives they live by and read them good, some will shock you.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:42 AM

Pocono, Great advice. The resale packet is issued to the prospective buyer. It contains all the Convenants and Restrictions for the community. Normally the seller pays for it and the buyer has x amount of time to cancel the offer if they do not like the rules. Best advice, ring doorbells. There is nothing like talking to someone face to say. Yes, do not talk to the board or Management - that is probably the best advice I have seen on the forum yet!

Hat

Old 02-22-2008, 10:55 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
I am totally confused now. I was looking at both developements as we would use it as a vacation place. So I thought wle was in a decent school district, and it was ok. I didnt really like the hideout as it seemed just too big. Now what I am hearing is that wle is not a good place.
A few years ago we went looking at saw creek and decided not to buy there, that was a great move.
dorothy

Old 02-22-2008, 11:00 AM

The resale packet is given usually after a deposit is put down on a place, That's why I said if interested get the packet first even if you have to put out the $50 or so yourself, it is well worth it than cancelling and trying to get your deposit back.I have done it both ways and most sellers won't pay for the packet for you unless the deposit is down for a pending sale. Oh the ins and outs of getting a good place to live in NEPA. Also ask about the staff of the community, if it is a management company they will usually keep things in line but if it is all in house with someone who lives in the community , RUN. Then it is a good ole boy situation that will learn these here jersey and new york type people. Take time and investigate, no rush for the greatest home you have ever founf if you can't sleep at night knowing it was the mistake of your life.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I am totally confused now. I was looking at both developements as we would use it as a vacation place. So I thought wle was in a decent school district, and it was ok. I didnt really like the hideout as it seemed just too big. Now what I am hearing is that wle is not a good place.
A few years ago we went looking at saw creek and decided not to buy there, that was a great move.
dorothy
WLE is within a great school district, Wallenpaupack, one on the better districts in the area, but then the others are good too. But you will be living in the community and your investment is there. Yes the hideout is very large but there are several smaller, Work with a realtor and look at everything.Lake Wallenpaupack estates, Indian Rocks, Paupacken Lake, Pocono springs there are many places but some are much better than others.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:24 AM

[quote=pocono Also ask about the staff of the community, if it is a management company they will usually keep things in line but if it is all in house with someone who lives in the community , RUN. Then it is a good ole boy situation that will learn these here jersey and new york type people. [/quote]

Pocono, I could swear you live in my community by all you describe. Yes, RUN if the community is run by a couple of houses within the community.

Good advice,

Hat

Old 02-22-2008, 01:17 PM

I don't know if we live in the same community,I just think many are run the same way once a few people get in control. They become filled with greed and power and make community living a complete hell.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:20 PM

910 posts, read 2,993,740 times
If you are looking in the area surrounding WLE I would skip that and try LWE which is located near ledgedale marina. Or of course Indian Rocks, I know a great house for sale in there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania