Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:15 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times

Advertisements

Hi there
Well after putting our house searching on hold due to other issues here, we are finally coming down again this weekend to do some serious house hunting. We have 8 to look at tomorrow in WLE.

Woke up to 3 inches of snow on long island today. but hopefully it will be stopped snowing by 5ish when we leave.

Will let you all know how we do. Any words of advice?
Thanks
dorothy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 07:48 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Hi there
Well after putting our house searching on hold due to other issues here, we are finally coming down again this weekend to do some serious house hunting. We have 8 to look at tomorrow in WLE.

Woke up to 3 inches of snow on long island today. but hopefully it will be stopped snowing by 5ish when we leave.

Will let you all know how we do. Any words of advice?
Thanks
dorothy
Where are you looking,what part?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:51 AM

50 posts, read 186,959 times
WLE is not that bad of a community, but does have it's share of troubles. I remember a while back something about a huge assessment to each owner and many put their homes for sale. It also has a drug problem and some gang activity. One of the worst ones was stabed and killed in another nearby community when two gangs went to fight. Kid died on the street by a recreation area, The area is nice but does have the same problems as a city. The area is known for its drinking and drugs, thats what people do up here. You can check the local papers and most of the police beat and court sections are for drug possession or DUI. Good luck house hunting. Also try Indian Rocks and Lake wallenpack estates off ledgedale road, not much in the papers about those places.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:03 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
all I can say about WLE is that realtors have told us not to buy in there, poconco livin' your explanation is good enough for me.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
all I can say about WLE is that realtors have told us not to buy in there, poconco livin' your explanation is good enough for me.
O.K what does WLE stand for and where is it?

Old 02-22-2008, 08:24 AM

really, wow, I never heard of anything like that. I was also looking at the Hideout.

thanks for the heads up.

now how are the roads??
d

Old 02-22-2008, 08:30 AM

50 posts, read 186,959 times
WLE is WALLENPAUPACK LAKE ESTATES it is in the lakeville area off goose pond road, I have several friends who have moved out of there. A good realtor who is HONEST will tell you of the community problems. If not they are only pushing a sale and you will find out the hard way after you buy. It depends how much you like a house and are able to deal with. Some communities around here are fine,others are nightmares.All I can say is take your time looking, talk to MANY people in the area and if possible buy outside of a community,then your life is your own.Most communities have web sites to inform the owners others have blogs, terrible blogs, that attack everyone in a community with lies and ruin peoples lives to live a comfortable life. Maybe you don't like hearing this but it's better to know now, so be careful and buy with confidence after a good long investigation of your new neighborhood.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:38 AM

Is there any communities that you recommend? I see lots and lots for sale in the Hideout, not as many for sale in WLE. I am looking to stay under $200,000. Hoenslty, this is the first time I have heard negatives about this area.

thanks
dorothy

Old 02-22-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Is there any communities that you recommend? I see lots and lots for sale in the Hideout, not as many for sale in WLE. I am looking to stay under $200,000. Hoenslty, this is the first time I have heard negatives about this area.

thanks
dorothy
How far do you want to go out? I have a home in Clarks Summit, If you are looking for a safe place,good schools,the homes go for about 160" to 300+
taxes 2kto 4k I would guess clarks summit is about 45 minutes out than the hideout,but be careful, research and do your homework on the areas, If you have any other questions feel free to ask

Old 02-22-2008, 09:15 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocono livin for me View Post
WLE is WALLENPAUPACK LAKE ESTATES it is in the lakeville area off goose pond road, I have several friends who have moved out of there. A good realtor who is HONEST will tell you of the community problems. If not they are only pushing a sale and you will find out the hard way after you buy. It depends how much you like a house and are able to deal with. Some communities around here are fine,others are nightmares.All I can say is take your time looking, talk to MANY people in the area and if possible buy outside of a community,then your life is your own.Most communities have web sites to inform the owners others have blogs, terrible blogs, that attack everyone in a community with lies and ruin peoples lives to live a comfortable life. Maybe you don't like hearing this but it's better to know now, so be careful and buy with confidence after a good long investigation of your new neighborhood.
Pocono,
You said it the best and you honesty is impressive. Many communities are cut throat places, and yes, a good realtor will be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania