Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:24 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

just think of it like all your other insurance you have that you may go a lifetime without needing but you have it anyway. what you choose to protect yourself or your family with should the need arise is very critical. a hangun of a fairly large caliber is the way to go. .357. .40 or .45
the popular 9mm is a poor choice believe it or not. its a military caliber by design. which means its better at wounding because of its shape and over penetrating design . the military likes wounding better than killing. it takes tremendous enemy resources to care for wounded and the wounded slow a unit down. you on the other hand may be dealing with a drug crazed psycho.

while you may think a shotgun or rifle would be best the truth is its a very poor choice. with very little training any one using levarage can have a long arm out of your hands faster then you know what happened when in close quarters. . with most situations happening in under 7 ft the spread of the shot is barely more than a rifle bullet causing you to have to carefuly aim.

in combat training we have whats called the 20 ft rule. as jl storm said ,,what that means is you can hit someone critically right in the heart and they will still live long enough to cover 20 ft and hack or stab you to death, not a comforting thought. so we were taught aim for the pelvic area , shattering the pelvic area usually makes it impossible to carry out any further attack as well as providing a big target. once your under panic your fine motor skills go bye bye once the pucker factor kicks in. if you think you can even tie your shoees when that happens your in for a surprise. .

remember its not about killing someone,its about stopping them. just hitting someone isnt what stops them,its the shock to the nervous system of the round staying contained in the body and transmitting its energy not the actual wound unless you hit a critical organ or they loose so much blood

thats why the choice of bullet is extremely important. to over penetrating and it goes in one side and out the other without disrupting the nervous system, to small a round and if the bad guys notices you shot him he may get very angry at you ha ha ha.. i myself like the magsafe and glasser saftey ammo. designed for the sky marshalls it can actually pass thru barricades yet wont over penetrate a coke can. its designed to fragment and break up when hitting the fluid in a body disapating its energy inside the bad guy as well as causing secondary wound channels adding to its effectivness. . no worry about it passing thru the bad guy and hitting a family member in another room, or a neighbor. at 6 bucks a round its very expensive but worth it

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-29-2008 at 02:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 03:02 AM

how do i know all this????????????/ mmmmmmmmmmm uuuuuuhhhhh , i saw it on tv, i mean i read it in a book, uuuuh my wife taught me ha ha ha

Old 03-29-2008, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
I have an unrestricted concealed carry permit in NY.The only reason I was able to get it was because I am retired law enforcement and they allow you to retain the firearms you had when you were on the job. NY is very strict with the firearm license.I am also able to carry in all 50 states in accordance
with the law enforcement safety act of 2004.But I like the PA law better,Ever law abiding citizen should be able to carry a firearm to protect them self and family.Believe me when I tell you the criminals get the guns no matter what
and have no remorse when they rob people.It is our right to keep and bear arms and should be thankful that PA laws enable decent law abiding citizens to carry firearms.
i would imagine they wont renew it though now that your a pa resident, but then again why bother just get a pa one.

the best is nyc discontinued the hunting target permit a few years ago. they found everyone was carrying with the restricted permit and since in the eyes of the state it was a full carry with restrictions by your choice it wasnt a crime if you got caught. it was merely an admistration violation which could get your permit revoked but that it

now they got another brainstorm. everyone now gets a premises license. in the eyes of the state your not allowed out of the house with it. so what do they do? they staple a little note from the police commisioner saying you can hunt and target shoot anywhere in the state on his say so.

problem is he is going above state law which says you can't. further more there is no reason a small upstate town should accept his letter.

further more back to square 1. he now authorized you to be out of the house to go to the range or hunt, if your not then it looks like another adminstrative violation. god bless nyc

Old 03-29-2008, 08:05 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,114 times
Any other #1 reasons to move to NEPA besides the gun license?

Old 03-29-2008, 08:43 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
Yes! The abundant amounts of crack, and other goodies! just kidding

Old 03-29-2008, 10:49 AM

703 posts, read 1,546,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
It is our right to keep and bear arms and should be thankful that PA laws enable decent law abiding citizens to carry firearms.
There's only one undisputed benefit of carrying firearms: a self-reported stronger psychological sense of safety for some. Beyond that, from a policy standpoint, the debate gets really murky. Do firearms deter criminals? Does gun availability have a direct correlation to gun crime? From a utilitarian standpoint, do successful instances of "self-defense" outnumber accidental gun injuries and deaths? Do all these questions apply the same nationally, regionally, and locally? Do the answers change over time? I don't think the gun-toters or the take-away-ers have clear answers to these complicated policy issues.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:01 AM

heck, makes me feel better, thats all that counts

Old 03-29-2008, 12:52 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
Regardless of questions and states that have over restrictive gun laws, the Second Amendment is still there and I think that it will continue to be able to defend itself from the anti-gun lobby attacks.

Wait and see what happens if we get a democrat as the next president.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:41 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,990,056 times
About three weeks ago i was at a gun show down here. I got a ppk which was nice but the guy selling it to me asked if I was interested in anything more. I inquired and he showed me a full automatic MK48 Mod 0. That to me is not right. To think some cracker down here is driving around with a fully auto machine gun, high on meth and dead set to cause havok make me a little skiddish and creates a cycle where then I think i need a gun like that also.

Whatever, don't tread on me......

Old 03-29-2008, 05:39 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
Fully auto guns are legally aloud to be owned in this country but you have to jump thru hoops to get the permits. I think there is a government psyc exam required for it.

Unfortunately there will always be the bad side to this issue and that is the illegal weapons that can be urchased just about anywhere.

PA and FL share reciprocity with their LTCF's. You an carry here or there with either states permit.

I don't know if calling someone in florida a cracker would be a insult. Most FL. crackers I know are born and raised by a family that has been in florida fo generations and that is a rare thing in florida. A true florida cracker is rare thing in a state full of transplants and transients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania