Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 06:47 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,899,797 times

Advertisements

You make good points coalman. I think we are going to see a major shift in automobile use as a result of prices which are forecasted to stay up and even go higher. People will start looking to work closer to home or from home where possible and vacation in parks near where they live.

I saw McCain talking about Coal today and a reporter talking about pushing automakers to make a battery that will run for 300 miles on one charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 11:17 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I disagree that four years of Sen. McCain will be four more years of President Bush.
Well, one qualm here.

(1) You are simply very mistaken in some substantial areas:
  • Economy
  • Tax Cuts
  • Staying in Iraq
  • Same Broken Health Care System
  • Outlawing Abortion
  • Conservative Judicial Appointments
  • Zero Rights for Guantanamo Detainees.
  • Greatly Expanded Executive Power
  • State Constitutional Amendments Banning Gay Marriage
  • Veto Power Over the Democrats' Congressional Agenda
  • No Support for ENDA (Legislation Extending Protection from Discrimination to "Sexual Orientation." Right now Home Depot can fire you for being gay.)

McCain might not adopt every Bush postion, but they are substantially similar in almost all important ways.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:11 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
People will start looking to work closer to home or from home where possible and vacation in parks near where they live.
Well that's a major point, but if people didn't waste so much energy in simple day to day activities then many of these problems would go away. Just a couple of examples, if I walk into my kitchen it glows from all the damn clocks in the kitchen. I can look in any direction but the floor or the ceiling an tell you what time it is. There is no way to turn them off. Other modern electronics like TV's , computer monitors, DVD players all have a low power mode, then never fully go off and consume electricity 24/7... No reason for that. The computer monitor might be borderline for people that use them at intervals frequently. All that energy adds up over 100's of millions households, offices, business's etc.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:42 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
  • Economy
The economic downturn is direct result of high energy prices across the board. Obama's plan does nothing to address the immediate issues we are facing now or will be facing 10 years from now. His suggestion to penalize big oil companies like Exxon with a windfall tax is the most ridiculous thing I've heard so far, he's trying to demonize big business because they are succesful? This may sound great on the surface but any new taxes will be passed onto the consumer.

• Exxon's total revenue in 2007 was $400 Billion, after expense and before taxes it was $70 billion.
  • Exxon paid $30 Billion income tax in 2007 or roughly 44%
  • Net profit in 2007 was $40 Billion or 10% on $400 billion in revenues. Microsoft as a comparison made 30%.
  • Exxon makes <drum roll please> About 10 cents on a gallon of fuel.
The exorbitant prices you are paying at the pump go to three major players. Firstly it goes to those producing the crude, on the worldwide stage Exxon produces about .65% of it. Most of their product they have to import. The next big cost for the consumer is refinement. After that the govenrment is taking an enormous amount in either direct taxes or indirect taxes such as the ones Exxon is paying.

Quote:

• State Constitutional Amendments Banning Gay Marriage
Personally it's not something i would support because I support the freedom of the individual. I do want to point out to you that nearly every argument that you used in the Smoking Ban thread could be applied here. If our legislators make that decision and 75% of the population supports it then must be right? Take a long hard look look at that, as I mentioned in the other thread its different when the shoe is on the other foot.

Last edited by thecoalman; 06-27-2008 at 12:51 AM..

Old 06-27-2008, 12:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,968 times
Cool no..

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Is anyone gonna go see John McCain when he comes to Wilkes-Barre in July? Does anyone even like John McCain?
not really!!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,968 times
Default throop!!

Quote:
Hillary Clinton is from Scranton, like I'm from Wildwood, Nj. NOT!
hillary was born in throop, and is all leaded out!!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:22 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
Default If Hillary's from Scranton, then JFK was from Wilkes-Barre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymanman View Post
hillary was born in throop, and is all leaded out!!
I think in order to say "I'm from here, or there". 1. You had to be born there. 2. You had to be raised there for most of your childhood. 3. both. As far as I know, Hillary has none of the above (with Scranton). I have relatives from Chicago and Delaware that I have visited as a child more frequently then Hillary has ever visited Scranton, but I don't claim to be from Chicago or Delaware!?! It makes my skin crawl when Scrantonians proudly boast that "Hillary's from Scranton!", or "She's one of us!" I have news for you. HILLARY IS DEFINATELY NOT ONE OF US!!! Her net worth is probably larger then the entire population of Scranton combined! And has nothing in common with the average Scrantonian! Nothing! Can't they see that she was just saying that to win more votes? I guess see also shoots whiskey and goes huntin' on a regular basis too. Besides when Hillary did speak about our area, she seemed much more fond of Lake Winola anyways. If anyone should be bragging that Hillaries "from here" it's the residents of Lake Winola!!! Thank you for letting me get that off my chest. I feel muck better now!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:23 AM

414 posts, read 1,780,138 times
^^^^Clinton never said that she was born in Scranton......why the false assertion? Her Dad and his family were from Scranton and she did spend a fair amount of time in NePA growing up....and she's got a legtimate claim to have known the area well and fondly.

Not so hard to comprehend, is it?

glad you feel 'muck' better.......speaking of Freudian slips.......

Old 06-27-2008, 06:25 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
Quote:
I think in order to say "I'm from here, or there". 1. You had to be born there. 2. You had to be raised there for most of your childhood. 3. both. As far as I know, Hillary has none of the above (with Scranton). I have relatives from Chicago and Delaware that I have visited as a child more frequently then Hillary has ever visited Scranton, but I don't claim to be from Chicago or Delaware!?! It makes my skin crawl when Scrantonians proudly boast that "Hillary's from Scranton!", or "She's one of us!" I have news for you. HILLARY IS DEFINATELY NOT ONE OF US!!! Her net worth is probably larger then the entire population of Scranton combined! And has nothing in common with the average Scrantonian! Nothing! Can't they see that she was just saying that to win more votes? I guess see also shoots whiskey and goes huntin' on a regular basis too. Besides when Hillary did speak about our area, she seemed much more fond of Lake Winola anyways. If anyone should be bragging that Hillaries "from here" it's the residents of Lake Winola!!! Thank you for letting me get that off my chest. I feel muck better now!
P.S. I'm not known for my typing skills. So please excuse my errors.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:32 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,969,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
[*]Outlawing Abortion

Above is the one of things I do agree with republicans more often than democrats. Abortion should be wiped off the face of the earth, especially in how its used probably 95% of time....as birth control. I actually think the republicans are too soft on abortion as well....they seem to like to use the issue to "rally the troops" and get all of the religious conservatives behind them, but then abandon the issue once elected.

If I were in charge, killing a baby in the womb would be a crime. But this is also why I support more "liberal" social programs that help children...we should also be making it easier to afford to raise children in this economy. Some pro-life republicans seem to care about abortion, but then they couldn't care less about the welfare of the child after birth. I think we should pull out of these senseless wars, trim the bloated defense budget, cut out all the ridiculous pork out of the federal budget, and start helping our own people, especially children. We need to help regular American families, not oil companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania