Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:17 PM

433 posts, read 961,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
I believe the closest college is keystone and thats a cooking school also
marywood,but they are both about 6 miles away,I would say mostly middle
age family people in the area I'm in.
That actually sounds good coartist -- having a neighbor who is a student at the cooking school would be a huge bonus IMHO. Being the good neighbor that I am, I'd probably offer to "review" his/her food by doing random acts of taste-testing (just trying to be a good, helpful neighbor!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 03:12 PM

Thumbs up Thank you

Everyone -- Thank you for your help..... I'm a little nervous because I am going to be relocating alone.... and without a good support system.

If anyone knows of any rentals (duplexes, etc.), I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Susan

Old 08-16-2008, 05:51 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,729,253 times
Hello Susan!

Sorry I couldn't swing by sooner, but I just arrived home from a very lengthy shift at the salt mine. Generally speaking the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is one of the most geriatric areas, overall, in the nation, behind the retirement Valhallas of Florida and Arizona, of course. Our death rate still exceeds our birth rate, as even though we are replete with colleges and universities, most students head out to start families near the "big bucks" in the fast-paced rat race they call the BosWash Corridor, and more specifically NYC/NE NJ.

I wouldn't call our region "geezer country" by any means, but I believe the median age in Scranton is in the low-to-mid-40s, indicating that indeed half of the residents of the city (and surrounding area for that matter) are near 50-plus. There has been an uptick recently in "active-adult communities" in the region, including a few in the Back Mountain area, a rapidly growing bedroom community of Wilkes-Barre. There are also many, many townhome communities in the region which you may wish to consider, as they would afford you with the luxury of maintenance-free exteriors, newer interior appointments, and often times community activities and amenities (swimming pool, tennis courts, etc.)

You might feel most comfortable in the Green Ridge section of Scranton, which seems to me from all of my visit to be comprised mostly of empty-nesters and DINKS (dual-income, no kids) who moved there for the convenience of urban living and/or the prestige of the historic homes. The inner suburb of Dunmore, more specifically the Hollywood section, is also a generally quiet area, even though it abuts Marywood University (which, as a religious-affiliated arts school, tends to be more "tame" than most other campuses). East Mountain is another quiet area of Scranton with some impressive views and a blend of younger families, empty-nesters, and senior citizens. Both South Side and Hyde Park have been seeing an influx of young Hispanic families and younger suburban families, respectively, with the former seeing many single-family homes transitioning to multi-units by their out-of-state owners and the latter being generally a very sought after part of the city because it has its own high school, which is often ranked much higher than Scranton High.

If convenience is your thing, then I can't think of anywhere in the region more convenient than where I live now, Greater Pittston. We're no more than a fifteen-minute drive to most attractions in the region (Montage Mountain, Wachovia Arena, malls, PNC Field, skiing, a state park, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton, etc.) Pittston itself has declined considerably over the past few decades, but its downtown is currently getting a huge facelift which might help to breathe new vitality into it. I live on the fringe of the town of Dupont, and it is probably amongst the "grayest" communities in our area. I think a story was done in a local newspaper a couple of years ago highlighting the "Tale of Two Cities" in which Dupont continued to age overall while my current hometown of Pittston Township, adjacent to the town, continued to grow younger with new transplants flooding in. Avoca is a nice generally quiet town as well (save for the airport), as are Duryea and Hughestown. West Pittston is pristine real estate, with a riverfront setting (alas, that is flood-prone), cherry blossoms, sidewalks, shade trees, historic homes, etc. A blend of young and old alike live here. Clarks Summit, where coartist88 lives, has a more middle-aged population, whereas the surrounding area of South Abington has many sprawling newer developments home to a lot of young families.

We welcome you in advance to our area!

Old 08-16-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Hello Susan!

Sorry I couldn't swing by sooner, but I just arrived home from a very lengthy shift at the salt mine. Generally speaking the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is one of the most geriatric areas, overall, in the nation, behind the retirement Valhallas of Florida and Arizona, of course. Our death rate still exceeds our birth rate, as even though we are replete with colleges and universities, most students head out to start families near the "big bucks" in the fast-paced rat race they call the BosWash Corridor, and more specifically NYC/NE NJ.

I wouldn't call our region "geezer country" by any means, but I believe the median age in Scranton is in the low-to-mid-40s, indicating that indeed half of the residents of the city (and surrounding area for that matter) are near 50-plus. There has been an uptick recently in "active-adult communities" in the region, including a few in the Back Mountain area, a rapidly growing bedroom community of Wilkes-Barre. There are also many, many townhome communities in the region which you may wish to consider, as they would afford you with the luxury of maintenance-free exteriors, newer interior appointments, and often times community activities and amenities (swimming pool, tennis courts, etc.)

You might feel most comfortable in the Green Ridge section of Scranton, which seems to me from all of my visit to be comprised mostly of empty-nesters and DINKS (dual-income, no kids) who moved there for the convenience of urban living and/or the prestige of the historic homes. The inner suburb of Dunmore, more specifically the Hollywood section, is also a generally quiet area, even though it abuts Marywood University (which, as a religious-affiliated arts school, tends to be more "tame" than most other campuses). East Mountain is another quiet area of Scranton with some impressive views and a blend of younger families, empty-nesters, and senior citizens. Both South Side and Hyde Park have been seeing an influx of young Hispanic families and younger suburban families, respectively, with the former seeing many single-family homes transitioning to multi-units by their out-of-state owners and the latter being generally a very sought after part of the city because it has its own high school, which is often ranked much higher than Scranton High.

If convenience is your thing, then I can't think of anywhere in the region more convenient than where I live now, Greater Pittston. We're no more than a fifteen-minute drive to most attractions in the region (Montage Mountain, Wachovia Arena, malls, PNC Field, skiing, a state park, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton, etc.) Pittston itself has declined considerably over the past few decades, but its downtown is currently getting a huge facelift which might help to breathe new vitality into it. I live on the fringe of the town of Dupont, and it is probably amongst the "grayest" communities in our area. I think a story was done in a local newspaper a couple of years ago highlighting the "Tale of Two Cities" in which Dupont continued to age overall while my current hometown of Pittston Township, adjacent to the town, continued to grow younger with new transplants flooding in. Avoca is a nice generally quiet town as well (save for the airport), as are Duryea and Hughestown. West Pittston is pristine real estate, with a riverfront setting (alas, that is flood-prone), cherry blossoms, sidewalks, shade trees, historic homes, etc. A blend of young and old alike live here. Clarks Summit, where coartist88 lives, has a more middle-aged population, whereas the surrounding area of South Abington has many sprawling newer developments home to a lot of young families.

We welcome you in advance to our area!
Hey ScranBarre, this is of great help to me -- wow, thank you for the time you spent on this. I'm most probably limited to certain areas because I would need to rent or sublease. Would you happen to know of any private rentals or sublease opportunities? You spent a lot of time trying to help me, and I appreciate that.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50something View Post
Hey ScranBarre, this is of great help to me -- wow, thank you for the time you spent on this. I'm most probably limited to certain areas because I would need to rent or sublease. Would you happen to know of any private rentals or sublease opportunities? You spent a lot of time trying to help me, and I appreciate that.
I don't personally know of anyone in the property management industry looking to lease or sublet. Sorry! CraigsList might be your best option. You may wish to go under "Housing Wanted" on the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and/or Poconos CraigsList sites and post an ad yourself detailing your monthly rental price range, ideal living situation, location, etc. so that prospective landlords can seek you out.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:39 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,136,141 times
Quote:
I don't personally know of anyone in the property management industry looking to lease or sublet. Sorry! CraigsList might be your best option. You may wish to go under "Housing Wanted" on the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and/or Poconos CraigsList sites and post an ad yourself detailing your monthly rental price range, ideal living situation, location, etc. so that prospective landlords can seek you out.
kudos to you scranbarre..another good job...

Old 08-16-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Ya just gotta love Craigslist -- it's FREE and it offers so much in the way of resources. Thanks for reminding me -- I'd almost forgotten about CL.

Okay, how about the job market? I've asked that question in every forum I've visited, and they all say "terrible." It's terrible here in NJ also.

You should open a Welcome Wagon business -- you are great at it!

BTW, ScranBarre, did your handle used to say "Scrantalicious?" [or was that somebody else?] :-)

Old 08-16-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Ya just gotta love Craigslist -- it's FREE and it offers so much in the way of resources. Thanks for reminding me -- I'd almost forgotten about CL.

Okay, how about the job market? I've asked that question in every forum I've visited, and they all say "terrible." It's terrible here in NJ also.

You should open a Welcome Wagon business -- you are great at it!

BTW, ScranBarre, did your handle used to say "Scantalicious?" :-)
Well CraigsList also has some...ummm...morally "questionable" aspects to it as well, but I won't get into vivid detail about that! LOL!

The local job market isn't "terrible," but it also isn't nearly as adequate as it has been in the past. Our local unemployment rate in the region has risen to the seconnd-highest out of the state's major metropolitan areas. The aforementioned flight of young college graduates to NYC/NE NJ (alas myself soon-to-be included as I'm not having an easy time locating work in the accounting field in the region), has left us with a very large skills gap in the workforce which has made us quite attractive to distribution centers, call centers, big-box stores, fast-food restaurants, and other generally low-wage/long-hour positions. Here are some of the "better" major local employers that I can rattle off of the top of my head:
  • CIGNA HealthCare (Montage Mountain, Customer Service)
  • Prudential Financial (Montage Mountain, Financial Services)
  • Bank of America (Montage Mountain, Customer Service)
  • Sanofi-Pasteur Pharmaceuticals (Poconos, Pharmaceuticals)
  • Lockheed-Martin (Archbald, Military Defense Contractor)
  • Cinram (Olyphant, Laser Disk Manufacturer)
  • PNC Bank (Montage Mountain, Financial Services)
  • MetLife (Montage Mountain/Clarks Summit, Financial Services)
  • Tobyhanna Army Depot (Poconos, Military Defense & Engineering)
  • Procter & Gamble (Tunkhannock Area, Paper Products Manufacturing)
  • Offset Paperback (Back Mountain Area, Bookbinding)
  • iGourmet.Com (West Pittston, Internet Gourmet Cheese Company)
  • BabyAge (Hanover Township, Internet Baby Product Retailer)
  • Solid Cactus (Back Mountain Area, I/T)
  • Pepperjam (Downtown Wilkes-Barre, I/T)
  • Keystone Automotive (Exeter, Automotive Manufacturing)
  • Pride Mobility Products (Exeter, Power Chair Manufacturing)
  • Sallie Mae (Hanover Township, Loan Processing)
  • Social Security Administration (Wilkes-Barre Area, S.S. Claims Processing)
  • Benco Dental Supply (Wilkes-Barre Area, Dental Supply)
  • Quad 3 (Downtown Wilkes-Barre, Civil Engineering/Architecture)
  • Highland Associates (Clarks Summit, Civil Engineering/Architecture)
  • Parente Randolph (Downtown Wilkes-Barre, Public Accounting)
  • Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania (Downtown W-B, Health Care)
  • Gentex (Carbondale Area, Manufacturing)
  • Diversified Information Technologies (Downtown Scranton, I/T)
  • General Electric (Wilkes-Barre Area, Manufacturing/Support Services)

There are many others I'm sure. While this may look like a promising list, also realize that not only are very few hiring right now due to the downturn in the national economy, but those that are hiring are being overwhelmed by an ever-increasing pool of applicants. I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent and well-qualified individual, and even I couldn't snag one of two positions being offered for an internship at a regional accounting firm earlier this year, hence why I'm likely going to be forced to either power-commute or relocate to Northern New Jersey for a number of years before moving back to Scranton with a financial war chest when I'm burned out from city life.

Welcome Wagon? I'd love that! Scrantalicious? Yes. I can recall that phase.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Well CraigsList also has some...ummm...morally "questionable" aspects to it as well, but I won't get into vivid detail about that! LOL!

The local job market isn't "terrible," but it also isn't nearly as adequate as it has been in the past. Our local unemployment rate in the region has risen to the seconnd-highest out of the state's major metropolitan areas. The aforementioned flight of young college graduates to NYC/NE NJ (alas myself soon-to-be included as I'm not having an easy time locating work in the accounting field in the region), has left us with a very large skills gap in the workforce which has made us quite attractive to distribution centers, call centers, big-box stores, fast-food restaurants, and other generally low-wage/long-hour positions. Here are some of the "better" major local employers that I can rattle off of the top of my head:
  • CIGNA HealthCare (Montage Mountain, Customer Service)
  • Prudential Financial (Montage Mountain, Financial Services)
  • Bank of America (Montage Mountain, Customer Service)
  • Sanofi-Pasteur Pharmaceuticals (Poconos, Pharmaceuticals)
  • Lockheed-Martin (Archbald, Military Defense Contractor)
  • Cinram (Olyphant, Laser Disk Manufacturer)
  • PNC Bank (Montage Mountain, Financial Services)
  • MetLife (Montage Mountain/Clarks Summit, Financial Services)
  • Tobyhanna Army Depot (Poconos, Military Defense & Engineering)
  • Procter & Gamble (Tunkhannock Area, Paper Products Manufacturing)
  • Offset Paperback (Back Mountain Area, Bookbinding)
  • iGourmet.Com (West Pittston, Internet Gourmet Cheese Company)
  • BabyAge (Hanover Township, Internet Baby Product Retailer)
  • Solid Cactus (Back Mountain Area, I/T)
  • Pepperjam (Downtown Wilkes-Barre, I/T)
  • Keystone Automotive (Exeter, Automotive Manufacturing)
  • Pride Mobility Products (Exeter, Power Chair Manufacturing)
  • Sallie Mae (Hanover Township, Loan Processing)
  • Social Security Administration (Wilkes-Barre Area, S.S. Claims Processing)
  • Benco Dental Supply (Wilkes-Barre Area, Dental Supply)
  • Quad 3 (Downtown Wilkes-Barre, Civil Engineering/Architecture)
  • Highland Associates (Clarks Summit, Civil Engineering/Architecture)
  • Parente Randolph (Downtown Wilkes-Barre, Public Accounting)
  • Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania (Downtown W-B, Health Care)
  • Gentex (Carbondale Area, Manufacturing)
  • Diversified Information Technologies (Downtown Scranton, I/T)
  • General Electric (Wilkes-Barre Area, Manufacturing/Support Services)
There are many others I'm sure. While this may look like a promising list, also realize that not only are very few hiring right now due to the downturn in the national economy, but those that are hiring are being overwhelmed by an ever-increasing pool of applicants. I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent and well-qualified individual, and even I couldn't snag one of two positions being offered for an internship at a regional accounting firm earlier this year, hence why I'm likely going to be forced to either power-commute or relocate to Northern New Jersey for a number of years before moving back to Scranton with a financial war chest when I'm burned out from city life.

Welcome Wagon? I'd love that! Scrantalicious? Yes. I can recall that phase.
Gee, Scran, (May I call you Scran? ), that's quite a list -- I'm starting to feel I owe you some kind of consulting fee for all the time you've spent providing me info.

As a change of pace, maybe you might try the Welcome Wagon business? Need a capable Assistant?

Old 08-16-2008, 07:19 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,136,141 times
Quote:
Gee, Scran, (May I call you Scran? ), that's quite a list -- I'm starting to feel I owe you some kind of consulting fee for all the time you've spent providing me info.

As a change of pace, maybe you might try the Welcome Wagon business? Need a capable Assistant?
He's good people...the best...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania