Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:12 PM

16 posts, read 44,583 times

Advertisements

Hello All!
This is my first post on this forum so any help would be greatly appreciated. My husband and I are looking for a weekend home in both Upstate New York and PA, we seem to be finding PA to be the better choice specifically the Hideout for all it has to offer. The only thing that concerns us is The Hideout seems to have SO MANY houses that are for sale or are in foreclosure. We have been there three times and do really like it. We are taking into consideration that the current state of the economy probably has something to do with it but we were wondering if we were missing something? The only information that seemed interesting was that the dam might need to be rebuilt by Roamingwood Lake which seems to be quite extensive in terms of the cost of the update. Does anyone have any information on that a regular person can understand? I was reading on the Hidout website and got very confused. (I'm polish so thats not difficult to confuse me) Anyway the only other concern about the hideout is that property sizes all seem to be around the .33 range, is this pretty much as much property that can come by? Also my husband does have some minor medical issues so how close is the nearest hospital (just in case)? From looking at the surrounding areas we love the security and the amenities of the hideout since we won't be permanent residents, we are very excited!! Sorry for the long post!! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 01:41 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
Hello All!
This is my first post on this forum so any help would be greatly appreciated. My husband and I are looking for a weekend home in both Upstate New York and PA, we seem to be finding PA to be the better choice specifically the Hideout for all it has to offer. The only thing that concerns us is The Hideout seems to have SO MANY houses that are for sale or are in foreclosure. We have been there three times and do really like it. We are taking into consideration that the current state of the economy probably has something to do with it but we were wondering if we were missing something? The only information that seemed interesting was that the dam might need to be rebuilt by Roamingwood Lake which seems to be quite extensive in terms of the cost of the update. Does anyone have any information on that a regular person can understand? I was reading on the Hidout website and got very confused. (I'm polish so thats not difficult to confuse me) Anyway the only other concern about the hideout is that property sizes all seem to be around the .33 range, is this pretty much as much property that can come by? Also my husband does have some minor medical issues so how close is the nearest hospital (just in case)? From looking at the surrounding areas we love the security and the amenities of the hideout since we won't be permanent residents, we are very excited!! Sorry for the long post!! Thanks in advance!
the hideout is a lovely area. There are a few users that live in there and speak very highly of it. I'm sure I LOVE PA! will be here soon to set you straight

I can only hazard a guess if the foreclosure rate in there is high (i don't know if it is or isn't). I think since many of the homes in there are vacation and second homes people in a hard spot would need to cut the spending on their luxuries before their primary residence, ya know?

If you are planning to buy those houses would be ideal in my opinion. Where a primary residence has a lot of potential for damage from disgruntled residents being evicted a second home may not have the same problem. Who is going to drive several hours just to trash the house that is going into foreclosure when they are already in trouble?

Old 10-14-2008, 04:12 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
We looked at The Hideout last year when we were house hunting. I liked it, but we needed a place that we could park a RV also and it didnt have that.

But we did choose WLE and we are so happy there.

Good luck

d

Old 10-14-2008, 09:00 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,757,515 times
I was wondering how you determined that there are a lot of houses in foreclosure in the Hideout.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:19 PM

910 posts, read 2,991,783 times
some sites you can search for foreclosure homes.
i think there are a ton of houses for sale in the hideout because there are a ton of houses all together in the hideout. same thing with hemlock farms, always more than a handful of listings, but if you drove through you'd see how large some of these communities actually are.

Good luck

Old 10-14-2008, 02:24 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,025 times
I live in the Hideout. We moved here in August. We love it here. The people are wonderful and the place is kept very nice. The amenities are also great.

There is a park that you can put your RV. Its off the premises but its right up the road.

I know that there are 194 homes for sale right now but I dont know about foreclosures. Please let me know how you found out about the foreclosures. Considering the amount of homes in this community there really isnt that many homes for sale. When I first started looking here for a home there were more than 200 homes for sale. That was last year so I dont think that this listing has foreclosures on it. Here is the website that I used Pike/Wayne Realtors This will give you land or home listings.

If you have any other questions I will try to help. I am not living here very long but I can say this is a great community.

roxy

Old 10-14-2008, 06:37 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,870 times
Here I am!!!
I have lived in The Hideout for 15 years. I llove it here. My house is also for sale....my kids were raised here...the reason why I am selling is because I want my Mom to live with us and we want to make her an apartment and don't have the room to do so in our current home.
The last time I relisted my house for sale there were TWO houses in forclosure...considering The Hideout has close to 5,000 homes, I don't think that's much at all, and probably below the norm in most areas. Same with the amount of houses for sale. No more than any other area.
most lots in The Hideout are just shy of 1/2 an acre. My lot is .44 of an acre.

The Damm....yes we need a dam...they are currently in the process of securing state grants for this project and some of the funds will come from reserves planned for these type of things, and I'm sure each property owner will foot some of the bill too. Just like anywhere else when there is a major improvement being made, even when a new school is built. I haven't heard of anyone moving because of the Dam.
Health Issues...there is NO BETTER place to live if you have health issues. The closest hospital is in Honesdale, which is about 11 miles, the next closest, would be the 3 major hospitals in Scranton. The Hideout's patrol security force are all trained EMT's. We also have a few local ambulance companies all eager to respond to a call. My parents have had to call the ambulance a number of times (they live here too) and the first EMT on the scene is there within minutes. Usually under 5 minutes. Response time and responders are EXCELLENT.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:40 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,784 times
I got a quick question, I found a website with rentals, and they were asking pretty steep rates. How often can someone with a rental in the hideout expect it to be occupied?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:52 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,870 times
I honestly don't know...I do know the family that owns a large number of rentals, and they do have them rented out for most of the summer and then the holiday weeks during the year. If you don't mind renting...it could pay your mortgage for when you want to use your home.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:25 PM

16 posts, read 44,583 times
Default Thanks so much!!!

Thank you all so much for the quick replys! I'm so happy with all of my answered questions. The reason that I know there are numerous homes in the hideout was my real estate person showed them to us. Not so say that it was a bad thing I was just curious. My mind was definitely put at ease with all of the responses. Honesdale is where the closest home depot and stores are right?
Whoever you are who responded from East Northport,NY thats where we live now...small world I LOVE PA ~ I was honored you replied, I feel like your a celebrity here, I have been reading your responses and you are amazingly factual and I love it!!!!!!!! I'm sure this won't be the last of my posts since the house were looking at needs some work, so If it works out I may need help with contractors and such!! Thanks again, Frostbit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania