Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support Bishop Martino's Political Stances?
Yes (Why?) 6 26.09%
No (Why?) 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 06:13 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,660,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Why is he going over there, anyway??? You have no idea what a President, ANY President, does, do you?
He was already over there. Why is he going at this time is what I'm asking? I know what a President does, I haven't figured out what Obama is doing or has done yet.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:30 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,455,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Oh please spare me George...Apples and Oranges.....Its a slap in the face to every american that endured 9/11 and the aftermath.

We need to stay the hell out of the middle east and all this is going to do is get the extremists fired up and possibly bring another attack to our doorstep...He doesn't belong there and perosonally speaking he should stop worrying about playing nice with his muslim bretheran and pay more attention to our nation and the fact that it is on its financial knees.....
No apples or oranges Dan...people.

It's easy to paint an entire city/state/country by the actions of a few. I hear all too many people saying "ahhh....just nuke the whole country & our problems'll be over". Are the people of Saudi Arabia "America-haters"?? Or is that sentiment just from the "powerful"?? Don't forget, the average citizen of Saudi Arabia as well as any other nation on earth does what we do. They work, drive, take the bus, eat in restaurants, raise children, struggle to make ends meet, etc.

The 1000's upon 1000's of Iraqi civilian casualties are no different than the American casualties of 9/11. Both sets of deaths were unecessary, & unfortunately were average everyday people caught up in a war of their rulers.

If we didn't use diplomacy & acted solely & blindly on revenge,
(#1)-we'd be just as bad as the extremists & terrorists, &
(#2)-we'd not have allies alongside us like Germany & Japan. (remember, not so long ago "they" were our enemies)

Old 06-03-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Why is Obama going over there anyway? To bow to the King over there and kiss his butt? I think he's just loves to travel because he doesn't want to do anything here because I believe he's in over his head and doesn't know what he is doing. I've said I believe he didn't have enough qualifications to be President in the first place. He didn't even serve a full term as Senator and spent most of his life living in academia. Most Presidents have served in an executive job, like governor, before they get elected.
Born near Hodgenville, Ky. on February 12, 1809, Abraham Lincoln was the central figure of the Civil War, and is regarded by many historians and laymen as not only the foremost of our presidents but also the greatest American of all time. With scant formal education, from a poor family, this frontier lawyer held the nation together through the worst crisis in its history. A leader of weaker will or fainter vision might well have failed either to win the Civil War or end the institution of slavery. With good reason, he is viewed as the savior of the American union and the "Great Emancipator."

Old 06-04-2009, 03:30 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,660,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Born near Hodgenville, Ky. on February 12, 1809, Abraham Lincoln was the central figure of the Civil War, and is regarded by many historians and laymen as not only the foremost of our presidents but also the greatest American of all time. With scant formal education, from a poor family, this frontier lawyer held the nation together through the worst crisis in its history. A leader of weaker will or fainter vision might well have failed either to win the Civil War or end the institution of slavery. With good reason, he is viewed as the savior of the American union and the "Great Emancipator."
You really can't compare Abe Lincoln to Obama. Apples and oranges again George, sorry.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
You really can't compare Abe Lincoln to Obama. Apples and oranges again George, sorry.
You guys need to get together & make a fruit salad!!!

I wasn't "comparing" Ed. It's just to show (in response to your post) that Lincoln had very LITTLE formal education, yet turned out to be one of our greatest Presidents!!

(though I thought it was funny that the historical article called him "the savior"....hmmm....where have I heard that term bandied about???)

Old 06-04-2009, 06:16 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
For Obama, there is something he definitely ought to leave at home: grating apologies for America's past. Genuine pride in representing America will do just fine.
You know what's scary....Hugo Chavez saying that Obama is more left wing than himself and Fidel Castro!

Venezuela Chavez says Comrade Obama more left-wing | Reuters

Old 06-04-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Comparing Abraham Lincoln to Obama is like comparing Cal Ripken Jr. to Steve Jeltz.....

Old 06-04-2009, 06:54 AM

703 posts, read 1,547,107 times
Quote:
Oh please spare me George...Apples and Oranges.....Its a slap in the face to every american that endured 9/11 and the aftermath.
Right-wing terrorists recently killed Dr. George Tiller and have been responsible for over 4000 violent acts in the name of rescinding abortion-rights. Right-wing terrorists are also responsible for the largest act of domestic terrorism on U.S. soil, the Oklahoma City bombings. It's a slap in the face to deny that right-wing terrorism is an issue today, and no amount of harkening back to the days of Bill Ayers can change that fact.

Quote:
We need to stay the hell out of the middle east and all this is going to do is get the extremists fired up and possibly bring another attack to our doorstep...He doesn't belong there and perosonally speaking he should stop worrying about playing nice with his muslim bretheran and pay more attention to our nation and the fact that it is on its financial knees.....
1. "Muslim bretheran? (sic)" Obama is not a Muslim. That you repeat this lie, probably knowingly, doesn't reflect well on the rest of your post.

2. You have no idea what diplomacy is, how it works, etc. You may view Obama's speech derisively as "playing nice," but Obama explicitly said that his speech is aimed at creating room for diplomacy. Diplomacy is how international relations works. You *want* to create conditions in the Muslim world that will allow for greater cooperation by their governments, etc. Obama is doing just that.

What you absolutely don't want to do is create an adversarial "with us or against us" posture; invade and occupy a Muslim nation based on the faulty assumption that the nation is linked to al-Qaeda; indefinitely detain, abuse, and murder suspected terrorists in locations across the globe, and other actions of the last administration.

3. On priorities, I think Obama has already addressed the financial crisis in several major speeches, several pieces of legislation, etc. He has clearly prioritized the financial crisis over all other endeavors, including his number one legislative priority, health care (although solving the health care crisis is the key to our financial success in the future). Furthermore, Obama can do more than one thing at a time.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:58 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Law 08 View Post
Lets start a clean slate...As requested,here is the place you can discuss
local politics and other Issues/subjects...Interests..It's an off topic chat area..
The TOS still applies..No name calling..cursing..personal attacks..copyright
material..

http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Any chance you all could get back to local stuff?? There is a forum for national politics. http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Any chance you all could get back to local stuff?? There is a forum for national politics. http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/
it does say local politics and OTHER ISSUES/SUBJECTS. Sometimes some of us here would rather talk about these national issues on a local level, rather than debate them with people from all over the place. Its nice to have a local perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania