Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support Bishop Martino's Political Stances?
Yes (Why?) 6 26.09%
No (Why?) 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:44 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,349,960 times

Advertisements

Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions provides protections for terrorism suspects picked up on the battle field.

My question to you would be this: Why should it matter where these people were picked up? Why shouldn't the US, in touting itself as morally superior to the rest of the world, adhere to the Geneva Conventions?

There are so many reasons torturing suspects doesn't make any sense at all. I honestly can't see why anyone would support this practice when it is fact that it doesn't work.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:19 PM

703 posts, read 1,548,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers 2008 View Post
so we should [not torture] terrorists and criminals?... I just [want to torture them].
t,ftfy.

Once you cut through the right-wing political correctness that makes not torturing people being "kind" and "compassionate," it all becomes pretty self-evident. Stop using code-words you hear on tv/radio and just say what you mean: torture.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:48 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,553,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That is so scary. It really is. It makes me afraid for my children's futures. But it doesn't change my mind that the US should uphold the values it lords over others.
Amen, we are the MOST hypocritical country on Earth.....we are a laughing stock among the post-industrialized world.....it is also about reputation.....don't we all worry about it...people and countries. Your "reputation" can determine job and housing prospects etc.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:50 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,553,348 times
In the latest socio-economic rankings of "industrialized" countries the U.S.A. came in 25 out of 26.......just above Ireland.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:50 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,668,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Taliban captives are POWs no matter how the US Gov't tries to say they are not - they are just "enemy combatants". Same difference.
I don't see how Taliban scum are prisoners of war. What war are they fighting? And yes, I would love to see every last one of them tortured. They're sub-human and deserve it for what they have done. I treat animals with more respect than them.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:52 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,109,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
t,ftfy.

Once you cut through the right-wing political correctness that makes not torturing people being "kind" and "compassionate," it all becomes pretty self-evident. Stop using code-words you hear on tv/radio and just say what you mean: torture.
OK.......Our military and government should be able to use any means that are needed to secure our borders and make our country a safer place to live.

I don't agree with PC nonsense......The Geneva convention was written in a different time and war was a different machine then. Combat has changed, tactics have changed and the environment that it is fought in has changed..........

Torture is a way to get what we need from those that mean to hurt our way of life, our security and safety, our nation as a whole.

Polticians should not be involved in war or our military and how it handles itself.

If Ike didn't stop Patton from pushing the Russians back to Russia we would have NEVER had the cold war, but no we had to protect our "allies"...How that work out for ya Ike.

If Bush Sr didn't stop Schwarzkopf from going after Saddam in the first Gulf War then we wouldn't be in Iraq fighting right now..

Leave war to the military and politics to politicians....

Old 05-23-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Amen, we are the MOST hypocritical country on Earth.....we are a laughing stock among the post-industrialized world.....it is also about reputation.....don't we all worry about it...people and countries. Your "reputation" can determine job and housing prospects etc.

Very true and very good point. What's that saying about your reputation preceeding you?

Old 05-23-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I don't see how Taliban scum are prisoners of war. What war are they fighting? And yes, I would love to see every last one of them tortured. They're sub-human and deserve it for what they have done. I treat animals with more respect than them.

They are not sub human. They are humans with a cause with which I totally disagree with - but humans nonetheless.

Why would you want to see anyone tortured? No offense here, because I don't think of you this way --- but that's pretty sick IMO --- to want to watch people tortured.

Taliban operatives are often fighting alongside Al-Queada in the Iraq War.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:25 PM

OK.......Our military and government should be able to use any means that are needed to secure our borders and make our country a safer place to live.

Totally disagree. If you are setting yourself up as a paragon of human rights advocacy and as a beacon of hope to all in the world, you better be living up to what you are preaching. Any means necessary? Isn't that what terrorists and our enemies say? Isn't that why we were attacked on 9/11 because of the whole "any means necessary" philosophy?

I don't agree with PC nonsense......The Geneva convention was written in a different time and war was a different machine then. Combat has changed, tactics have changed and the environment that it is fought in has changed..........

It's not PC nonsense. It's called living up to what WE have set up as basic behavior when it comes to humanitarian issues. The Constitution of the US was written a helluva lot longer ago then the Geneva conventions - yet we still live by it, trust in it and defend it. You can't just say something isn't important to follow anymore because it cramps your style.

Torture is a way to get what we need from those that mean to hurt our way of life, our security and safety, our nation as a whole.

Wrong. Torture helps the terrorist organizations recruit new members, emboldens the current members and puts OUR troops even more hot water when THEY are the POWs. Or if our civilians are caught - they will be even more harshly punished.

FBI and CIA operatives have repeatedly said that torturing more often than not produces FALSE information. These people lie so they can stop being beaten and they still get to protect their cause.

Polticians should not be involved in war or our military and how it handles itself.

LMAO...REALLY? This is MY country and I elected ALL of the politicians to represent ME. They better be involved in how the military and the war handles itself. THAT IS THEIR JOB.

If Ike didn't stop Patton from pushing the Russians back to Russia we would have NEVER had the cold war, but no we had to protect our "allies"...How that work out for ya Ike.

And this comparable to raping men with broomsticks how????

If Bush Sr didn't stop Schwarzkopf from going after Saddam in the first Gulf War then we wouldn't be in Iraq fighting right now..

And this is comparable to beating men's legs until they break how???

Leave war to the military and politics to politicians....

The two are inextricably linked. You cannot seperate the two. If there were no politics, there would be no war.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:11 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,668,072 times
Dan, I agree with everything you posted. I'm sick of the political correctness that has a hold of this country. We should love everyone, even bad people and everything will be alright. I love people, good people, not terrorists whose only motive in life is to destroy and kill. I don't think it's sick to watch inherently evil people, who love doing bad things, tortured to get the what we need out of them. It's time for America to wake up and not turn a blind eye to what these characters are up. Stop listening to the liberal, left-wing media and take a good close look for yourself to what's really going. Obama, Pelosi and the Democrat-controlled House of Representatives and Senate are fooling the majority of the people in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania