Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:49 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,581 times

Advertisements

Surprised to see on the calendar that it's been over a year since I moved here. I assume the trophy for my big accomplishment is in the mail. In the meantime, some reflection on unexpected things in the past year.

Pluses:
* Housing: When we decided to move to NEPA, the convenience and housing stock (great old houses for cheap) were the biggest draw for being in the city of Scranton. We love our big old house even more than we expected.

* New businesses in town: I never imagined an Indian grocery, Lebanese restaurant, Vegan cafe, and wine bar would all open up in this town. (And finally, the Manning's in Westside opened.) Hope they all prosper.

* Great neighbors: A friendly card from across the street. A next door neighbor who lends us tools, shares his garden produce, and even chopped down a tree for us. Feels like many really care about the neighborhood.

Mixed bags:
* Taxes: The city wage tax is just too high. But, property taxes are reasonable, and the state's low, flat income tax helps offset the high local tax. Also, many services are pretty good at least--e.g. schools (no first-hand exp yet) and garbage (they take away everything I put out there).

* Demolition of the Lackawanna Ave. bridge: (esp. its arches.) This was sad to see, and led to a longer, less pleasant walk to the Martz. Hopefully, though, the result will be a nicer walk without navigating around trees growing out of the bridge.

* Rough winter: The constant shoveling of piddly amounts of snow was a pain, and the heating bills were no joke. But, I do like having multiple seasons, and it was kinda nice having snow on the ground for 5 or 6 weeks straight.

* Condemnation: Lots of condemned buildings in town. An apartment building nearby got condemned for drug dealing, but it's now re-inhabited and the notices are down. And, a number of other blighted buildings w/ few redeeming qualities have been torn down, which is good to see.

Minuses:
* Playgrounds: The closest playground, the Jackson St. Playground, is one of the most dismal places I've been on 4 continents. The good playgrounds are all at the periphery of the city (Nay Aug, Dorothy St.) I understand wanting a showcase park in the city (Nay Aug), but if you don't have decent accessible places for kids to play, they're just going to stay inside to play video games, and become little fatties.

* Sidewalks & streets: Sidewalks are in pretty crappy repair in the summer, and in winter they can be downright treacherous (e.g. the deserted, steep stretch of Linden.) Navigating a stroller can be a challenge. And, even though we don't drive a ton, we got a bent rim from all the potholes in the streets.

* Bombed-out feel in parts of town: I appreciate decay and find it beautiful in a way--gives you a nice sense of the life cycle of cities. Though this was expected, it's getting a little tiresome and looking especially gray after the winter.

Just thought this might be interesting to anyone who's thinking of relocating here.

Also, many thanks to the folks on this board. Have gotten a lot of useful tips from you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 12:15 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,651 times
Blip, there is a large number of 'neighborhood' parks/playgrounds in the city system, and while they try to give attention to all of them in one way or another, I would imagine that they would push efforts towards those that the community takes an active role in.

Dependant on location, it's certainly possible that some parks have very few children living in the relative area as compared to thirty or forty years ago when the park may have been created. Also, some neighborhoods are much more invested in keeping up their properties, and in turn, their neighborhoods in general, and they may take an active role in keeping their park/playground policed and in good shape.

In the end, the city can only do so much; if you don't take the time to make a couple calls and let people know how you feel, you probably won't see much improvement. On the other hand, I'm sure that if you show an active interest, the city will do the same and send some attention your way. It IS an election year, you know.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

As far as bombed out sections, keep investing in Scranton. Shop at local stores, buy local products, support local efforts. Keep your property in order, even if you rent, and be a good neighbor. A lot can be said for being a good example.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:16 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Pretty good asessment of Scranton there and pretty much right on the money, blip. I agree about the lack of playgrounds in this part of town...we walked down to the one on Jackson St a few years ago, and that was the last time we went there.....that place showed the total lack of pride some people have in their city...what a dump, and the playground isn't even that old. But I did hear that the police department or the Police Athletic League was supposed to be taking over that park and refurbishing it....whether it will still have a public playground is beyond me, though. The Dorothy Street playground is nice and not too far, but still a little far to walk with little kids.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:35 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Very insightful, funny and well written! I agree with all of the positives, and although I have not experienced the friendliness of Scranton neighbors yet in a direct way, I have in indirect ways i.e. while taking a walk through an interesting neighborhood we had people call out"Hi! ...Nice Day' from their glorious front porches.
Now this would never ever happen in suburbia on several levels.( at least not MY suburb)
1. I would have been in a car because the freaky faux rural set up of my suburb does not allow for sidewalks because they are too "urban" ..."Lets keep every one in their SUVs whilst they drive to their McMansions" must have been the thinking in colonial times...

2 while houses do have front porches no one uses them. The deal here is to scurry from your SUV into an attached garage and not make eye contact. Its a good skill in case you run into that same neighbor at the multi-plex or Marshalls.

I agree about the wonderful supply of older and beautiful homes. I am also concerned about the cities general resistance to change and I too am baffled by the many condemnations.
On the whole however I know a good place when I see one and I think that you made a great decision buying a home there! I hope in a year I will also be able to call myself a "Scrantonian"

(and a very close neighbor of yours because I love that house and it has EVERYTHING we need)
PPS I actually think I saw a really bad playground in the former USSR - it was painted beautifully in gorgeous colors. but the paint was chipping and I mean really chipping and you could almost smell the lead...very pretty though - painted like a Russian easter egg.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:44 PM

904 posts, read 2,055,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Pretty good asessment of Scranton there and pretty much right on the money, blip.
Thanks, trying to be even-handed about it. (And should have noted that overall, we're definitely enjoying being here.) I think it's good to help folks have realistic expectations. If they're expecting a boom town for some reaon, they're not going to notice a lot of the real benefits.

That's good to hear about the PAL; hope that playground sees brighter days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
On the other hand, I'm sure that if you show an active interest, the city will do the same and send some attention your way. It IS an election year, you know.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Heh, point well taken-- I should take advantage of the desire for good election-year news stories. With lots going on personally and work-wise, have found it hard to get as civically active / squeaky as I'd like to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
As far as bombed out sections, keep investing in Scranton. Shop at local stores, buy local products, support local efforts. Keep your property in order, even if you rent, and be a good neighbor. A lot can be said for being a good example.
Couldn't agree more. Also doing everything we reasonably can with our house, inside and out. The rare chance we get a night out, it's usually at a restaurant and/or bar in town. I try to shop at the local groceries and even the tiny hardware shop nearby as much as I can. (And, of course this isn't meant as any kind of self-righteousness, all of that is arguably completely out of self-interest..)

Also, to be fair, I should have noted that the bombed-out-ness really is the whole region, not just the city. You can escape it in your immediate neighborhood, but it seems hard to completely avoid it living anywhere in the valley. And, I believe the whole region is turning around, it's just hard to always keep the decade-long view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Very insightful, funny and well written!
Why, thank you.

Haha, now I understand why all those suburban front porches go unused, to avoid having to say hi to neighbors you later spot at the mall. It kinda makes sense. Yeah, and I should be glad at least we have sidewalks to trip over.

That's great that you liked that house; it's a fantastic one. Hope it all works out-- share any updates.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:06 PM

203 posts, read 577,451 times
Thank you blip for a very refreshing view of our city.
I agree with you on many of your points, especially the one about wonderful neighbors. I've written several times about how wonderful my neighbors are. You'll regularly find any of us out on someone's porch when the weather is nice.

Luckily, for me, there are a few playgrounds that I don't mind taking my kids to that are near me. The one we visit the most is the one at Sloan Little League field, and not just because my girls play ball. Are there any ball fields near you? Many of them have nice playgrounds. The one at the Lackawanna Little League field (I think that's the name of the one I'm thinking of) is really nice.

Congratulations on your One Year anniversary! April marks seven for us. It's gone so fast!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:08 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
To me the negatives outweigh the positives and that's why I'm leaving. I agree when blip says that the whole region has that bombed-out-ness to it. Go to any town in the valley from Carbondale to Wilkes-Barre and it gets pretty depressing. There are pockets of nice areas, but not that much of them. All I can say is, I'm glad you're enjoying it here and I'm happy for you, but I just don't feel the same.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:44 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times
Congratulations Mr. blip!!! It's nice to see someone relatively happy where they live!!

(Does this mean we gotta get y'all an anniversary card & an "Office" t-shirt now??)

Old 03-30-2009, 06:04 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Congratulations Mr. blip!!! It's nice to see someone relatively happy where they live!!

(Does this mean we gotta get y'all an anniversary card & an "Office" t-shirt now??)
George, I'm truly happy for him that he's happy here. I would never take that away from anyone, I just wish I could be that happy here like blip.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:12 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
George, I'm truly happy for him that he's happy here. I would never take that away from anyone, I just wish I could be that happy here like blip.
Well, I'm happy that you're happy that he's happy....oh, never mind....

You'll find your niche Ed...I feel it in my bones!!! (or is that just the damn arthritis??...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania