Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
The Stroudsburgs are really the only part of Monroe County that are quickly eroding into an armpit, and yet nobody there seems to give a damn as gangs and thugs move in.
Don't forget about Pocono Country Place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 02:04 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Don't forget about Pocono Country Place...
I said eroding. The Stroudsburgs aren't quite there yet, but as long as people there are in denial of what IS starting to happen there, then it WILL become reality in a few more years. A Pocono Country Place has already eroded.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:24 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,671,723 times
Scranbarre if you saw that "TANK"like piece of equipment that came into Stroudsburg for the police to use.......You'd know that they mean business. I think they want their town back. They want what once was.........and with that machine.......It just might come about.
PS.....I do think Stroudsburg is a charming town. It bustles in the day with lawyers and the towns people scurrying here and there. But nights........I donno' I just wouldn't be strolling around, nope.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:35 PM

86 posts, read 192,440 times
Be aware and on guard in downtown Stroudsburg, even in the daytime.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:02 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
cityeda ---

I am not surprised. I am a white female in her 30s and I get harassed sometimes walking with my kids. I think it happens all over though. Honestly.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 AM

8 posts, read 10,414 times
I would love to move to Stroudesberg with my husband and 5 year old. We are african american professionals looking for some relief from city life. We would like to purchase a home within the next 6 months.

With all that I have read should we even consider Stroudesburg, Honestly? Also, how bad is the commute to NYC by bus or car?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:44 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinds00 View Post
I would love to move to Stroudesberg with my husband and 5 year old. We are african american professionals looking for some relief from city life. We would like to purchase a home within the next 6 months.

With all that I have read should we even consider Stroudesburg, Honestly? Also, how bad is the commute to NYC by bus or car?

Stroudsburg and E Stroudsburg are well on their way to becoming bona-fide war zones from the influx of thugs from NYC and NJ.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:54 PM

5 posts, read 7,965 times
Do you live in a gated community? I've never had any negative experiences and I run on a regular basis (in my community), so I can't comment on that, but the area is not "runner friendly" in general.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:21 PM

28 posts, read 88,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityeda View Post
I've been working near Stroudsburg for about 8 month on a contract project. Like many runners, I hate treadmills and enjoy a long leisurely run in nature or on a lonely road. In all my 7 years of running in Chicago (where I live), I have NEVER been harrassed, called derogatory names, nor nearly run off the road. And I run in a city with MILLIONS of people and cars. But in the mere 1 month that I have taken advantage of the nice weather, I have already been harrassed three times. Stroudsburg is simply unfriendly to women runners, especially if they're alone, and especially if they are minorities. This backwards area is never going to get a influx of interesting people if it keeps being represented by its fratty close-minded population.
Wow...I am so sorry to hear that. I saw that CNN show with Anderson Cooper 360, about kids and what they thought about color and the whole thing is just disgusting (

I witnessed an incident about 10 years ago, where my friend from Kenya came shopping to a local candle store in Hamlin (on the shopping area in 590 to be exact, in front of McDonald's, and once we got in, everyone else who was there (white ) refused to even look at her and even got out of the store waiting for us to leave. I am not black and even though I was born here I was raised abroad and I thank God for that. I am ashamed of this stupid stereotype that hopefully will die with these old fogie like generations who brought it in, those who learned it from that Jim Crow guy, and everyone else who thinks that way....as a result of that I have forever boycotted the store and never bought from there again, neither do my friends. (Bunch of stupid bigots) they just don't get it that the same way God created flowers of different color so that they all look fragrant and beautiful on a vase, that it is the same way with PEOPLE and that is how God sees us all, and that is how we should see each other...Only in this stupid ass country have I seen this kind of nonsense going on....they just don't get it that COLOR DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH A PERSON'S WORTH AND STRENGTH OF CHARACTER!! (sorry, the whole thing just repulses me)

So now, if I go somewhere and the person is just rude, I boycott them. There are many places where service is a lot better and would love to have me buy, buy, buy....(I let my money talk very loudly indeed) It is NOT impossible to do that, a person can make a difference in the world, it has been proven throughout history. Remember Rosa Parks, Jackie Robinson and many others who did that, and made a difference, small or great is the same effect, to your satisfaction and God's glory

And if I get harassed, I also know my favorite mantra, always works: "Mind over matter, I don't mind, THEY DON'T MATTER'

In any case you do not have to take any of that nonsense, and believe me there are more ways to skin that cat if you know what I mean, as long as you take power over your emotions and master self-control and see those losers for who they are (all while carrying a mist spray with ammonia or a pepper spray or some form of defense and a cell phone in case things get physical), and if it is just a matter of loud and rude behavior, then do what I do: buy a covert hidden camera on-line from places like Brick House (dot) com, wear it while recording their nonsense and then post it on you tube or if needed, show it to the proper authorities as evidence FOR YOUR PROTECTION since it is still legal in this country to do so.

But remember always that strength is made perfect in weakness like the Bible says, strength of character is built on what God thinks of you and what you think of yourself, nothing else matters.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-31-2010 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: New posters cannot post links

Old 10-22-2010, 11:38 PM

28 posts, read 88,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinds00 View Post

With all that I have read should we even consider Stroudsburg, Honestly? Also, how bad is the commute to NYC by bus or car?
I sincerely recommend Allentown or a nearby area where African American community is thriving there as I know from a few CVPs and senior executives who I work with and are also African American. They commute from NYC using NJ Transit or Metro North express to either Princeton which according to them is very close and less than an hour drive, or via Philadelphia. Choose your pleasure before considering the Stroudsburg area, and if you are still yearning for what Stroudsburg has to offer (probably you heard houses are cheap or something, or perhaps you heard there will be a train station running thru or something WHICH WILL PROBABLY NEVER HAPPEN ANYWAY) just remember it happened to me 12 years ago, and after we saw the horrors there we decided to come to NEPA to get away from it all. Decent housing, gives you a run for the money even if you lose your job in NYC, get the bus from either Scranton, Hamlin, or perhaps some other station nearby and let them do your commute for you, I've done it for the last 10 years and would not change a bit of it. Just my two cents but please do not take my word for it, do you research well and see the place with your own eyes. Then decide what is good for you, all the best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania