Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 06:36 PM

54 posts, read 105,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Fairfax Station is named after an historical railway station on the Orange and Alexandria line, as is Burke Station.

Welcome to the Fairfax Station Railroad Museum
Never seen this station before. I guess I can understand where they're coming from but I still think it's a bad idea. When I first moved into the area, I actually thought there was a Metro line in Fairfax Station and Burke Station. I later found that not even buses run there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I do think that $2000 is way too much for a 1BR.

However, sadly, even if there was Section 8 and housing authorities, isn't it still only for the near minimum wage service-industry hourly job to qualify?

Basically as a working adult, I've always assumed it was completely off-limits to anyone who got an education but still has medicore jobs, despite not having a salary high enough to afford the $2000 1BDRM rents.

If I'm right about that, then it doesn't really help out anyone who is middle-income and raising families and can't quite afford the 1bdrms (and definitely not 2BDRMS if kids). However, if you are unemployed or working service without education, you can 'play the section 8 lottery' and recieve the potential 'free pass' to live in the best and wealthiest and safest cities in America? That has never seemed right to me.
Section 8 and Housing Authorities don't work that way. Although, at the moment, Arlington's current distribution of Section 8 vouchers seems that way since they look for the most needy, which happen to be immigrants and drop outs who can't do more than McDonalds for the rest of their lives. Hence the 5 year waiting list which I still find absurd.

Subsidized housing in general works by the area's median income. Out of that income, they set a limit as to what is considered "Middle Class" in that area. So in essence, you could have the best education your area had to offer, graduated top of your High School class and yet somehow end up working a dead end job. It happens. Specially with people who leave their parents as soon as they turn 18 due to personal issues or teenage parents and others in similar situations.

Back on subsidized housing, I'll set an example of how it works in MOST areas... In Fairfax County, the RHA has deemed the median income for a family of 3 to have a decent life to be $107,400. Now, a lot of people can get by with 5 figure salaries in Fairfax County, but rent around Fairfax is around $1000 average for 1 bedroom. Depending on the usual factors... Safety, size of apartment, quality of apartment, etc. I know apartments in Falls Church that go for $1100 for 1 bedroom but are either old or have some crappy management. Hence the need for subsidized housing if you can't maintain a family and pay that rent. As of now, Fairfax County's Public Housing (scattered units) and Section 8 programs are currently full, BUT they do have alternatives which are currently open to people. The programs are for people who make between $10K and $50K (depending on the program one is eligible for) and you only pay 30% of your income. Now remember, $50K is a lot in other areas. It's always dependent on the area's median income as I stated above. So a lot of people can and do apply for subsidies. Nothing wrong with it.

This link would show some more insight.....
Fairfax County Rental Program*- Fairfax County, Virginia

So, to give you an answer, a housing authority could and would help more than people working for $7.75 since rent should be no more than 30% of a person's income. (in other words, no one gets a free pass in subsidized housing.) With that being said, if someone made $30K a year (which is not unheard of for young people just starting out), the ideal rent would be $750. A price that is hard to find in the NOVA area, let alone Arlington (Not sure if anyone rents at that price).

The only other solution is to stop knocking down the pre WWII apartments in Arlington, but reality is that Arlington is hot real estate. Combined with the fact that it has a land shortage, demolition of once affordable homes looks attractive for the upper class. Hence you get gentrification.

I know at one point Arlington had a ballot whether or not to include a Housing Authority program, but the idea was rejected since many people think a HA = High Rise "Projects" with people who are below the poverty line living in them. That's not always the case. Affordable housing for working people is necessary. The sad part is, the only developer that is willing to give the people a decent place to live that fits their salary is the local government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamon View Post
Odd things:
The lack of entry points into a major city that is the center of most of the employment and entertainment in the area.

Having 3 major international airports (if you count BWI) within about 75 minutes of each other.
The first point is because the major cities end up being CDP's and are usually developed after the fact that the roads are built. It would be hell to keep routing new highways and interstates to newly developed commercial areas. At that rate, I95 and I66 would never be completed.

The 2nd point, I actually understand but do think it's ridiculous as well. I'm pretty sure out of the 3 airports, BWI is used the least. Not to mention that for the most part, flights are more expensive to go to BWI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post

Northern Virginia Property Tax Rates by Local Jurisdiction for 2010-2011 | Virginia Real Estate News

Fairfax City has a residential tax rate of $0.96, while the county has $1.105 (counting the stormwater fee).
I should have made myself clear... I typed that at 3 in the morning... SALES TAX are higher in the city of Fairfax. Case In Point, a $5 footlong ends up costing me $6.15 or so in the City when it costs me $5.25 in the county. Although, now that I see the stormwater fee, and some other posts clarifying that, I now see why the sales tax is higher in the City than in the County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 08:21 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Section 8 and Housing Authorities don't work that way. Although, at the moment, Arlington's current distribution of Section 8 vouchers seems that way since they look for the most needy, which happen to be immigrants and drop outs who can't do more than McDonalds for the rest of their lives. Hence the 5 year waiting list which I still find absurd.

Subsidized housing in general works by the area's median income. Out of that income, they set a limit as to what is considered "Middle Class" in that area. So in essence, you could have the best education your area had to offer, graduated top of your High School class and yet somehow end up working a dead end job. It happens. Specially with people who leave their parents as soon as they turn 18 due to personal issues or teenage parents and others in similar situations.

Back on subsidized housing, I'll set an example of how it works in MOST areas... In Fairfax County, the RHA has deemed the median income for a family of 3 to have a decent life to be $107,400. Now, a lot of people can get by with 5 figure salaries in Fairfax County, but rent around Fairfax is around $1000 average for 1 bedroom. Depending on the usual factors... Safety, size of apartment, quality of apartment, etc. I know apartments in Falls Church that go for $1100 for 1 bedroom but are either old or have some crappy management. Hence the need for subsidized housing if you can't maintain a family and pay that rent. As of now, Fairfax County's Public Housing (scattered units) and Section 8 programs are currently full, BUT they do have alternatives which are currently open to people. The programs are for people who make between $10K and $50K (depending on the program one is eligible for) and you only pay 30% of your income. Now remember, $50K is a lot in other areas. It's always dependent on the area's median income as I stated above. So a lot of people can and do apply for subsidies. Nothing wrong with it.

This link would show some more insight.....
Fairfax County Rental Program*- Fairfax County, Virginia

So, to give you an answer, a housing authority could and would help more than people working for $7.75 since rent should be no more than 30% of a person's income. (in other words, no one gets a free pass in subsidized housing.) With that being said, if someone made $30K a year (which is not unheard of for young people just starting out), the ideal rent would be $750. A price that is hard to find in the NOVA area, let alone Arlington (Not sure if anyone rents at that price).

The only other solution is to stop knocking down the pre WWII apartments in Arlington, but reality is that Arlington is hot real estate. Combined with the fact that it has a land shortage, demolition of once affordable homes looks attractive for the upper class. Hence you get gentrification.

I know at one point Arlington had a ballot whether or not to include a Housing Authority program, but the idea was rejected since many people think a HA = High Rise "Projects" with people who are below the poverty line living in them. That's not always the case. Affordable housing for working people is necessary. The sad part is, the only developer that is willing to give the people a decent place to live that fits their salary is the local government.
Thanks for the very thorough response. As Section 8 and affordable housing has always been a mystery to me.

However, I always wonder, does it drive up the pricing altogether? Since the government pays that kind of housing, it means that landlords can 'get' at least that much, which means they'd never price it lower than that.

Which means that as higher incomes continue to go up, and average income than goes up, more and more landlords price their rent higher; which therefore means more and more people who are below the average will need section 8 or subsidized to afford the continuing higher rents.

Seems kind of circular to me...the consequences of that.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:34 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
However, I always wonder, does it drive up the pricing altogether? Since the government pays that kind of housing, it means that landlords can 'get' at least that much, which means they'd never price it lower than that.
That's not an issue here, where so many people are moving in that rents are always high.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:09 AM

54 posts, read 105,384 times
Quote:
Thanks for the very thorough response. As Section 8 and affordable housing has always been a mystery to me.

Which means that as higher incomes continue to go up, and average income than goes up, more and more landlords price their rent higher; which therefore means more and more people who are below the average will need section 8 or subsidized to afford the continuing higher rents.

Seems kind of circular to me...the consequences of that.
No problem.

The economics of it is that the federal, state, and local governments fund subsidized housing. The developers and landlords always get their money. For example, Avalon At Arlington Square has a section that is dedicated to "Section 8". From what I'm told, it is the section that doesn't have balconies. People that live there only pay a portion of the rent a normal Avalon resident pays. The rest is payed by the Arlington, which in turn receives the money from the HUD, the state of Virginia, and other local taxes. Avalon Bay (the owners of Avalon At Arlington Square) always get their money's worth.

Also, to answer your other question, the median goes up as minimum wage goes up. Once they raise minimum wage to $10.00, then what is worth $1000 now will be worth lets say $1400. It's just a cycle of economics. Same way that in the 1980's a car didn't cost more than $10,000. Now you can't find a car at that price. It's just a cycle.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:24 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Never seen this station before. I guess I can understand where they're coming from but I still think it's a bad idea. When I first moved into the area, I actually thought there was a Metro line in Fairfax Station and Burke Station. I later found that not even buses run there.
Back when Metrorail was still in its planning stages, they had plans of having a metro line head out to Burke and Fairfax Station.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:16 PM

393 posts, read 1,202,386 times
What I find odd and disappointing in NoVA and the DC metropolitan area in general is how few people care about their yards. Additionally, I find it odd how few people even put a wreath on their door at Christmas. When I leave this area I discover neighborhoods with beautiful yards - flowers and shrubbery - and wonderful Christmas decorations. I think most people in this area don't see themselves staying permanently so they don't put much effort in their homes. Either that, or they're so stressed from working and commuting that they have no energy left for anything else.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:24 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kembek View Post
What I find odd and disappointing in NoVA and the DC metropolitan area in general is how few people care about their yards. Additionally, I find it odd how few people even put a wreath on their door at Christmas. When I leave this area I discover neighborhoods with beautiful yards - flowers and shrubbery - and wonderful Christmas decorations. I think most people in this area don't see themselves staying permanently so they don't put much effort in their homes. Either that, or they're so stressed from working and commuting that they have no energy left for anything else.

I have seen magnificent yards filled with gorgeous azaleas, here in annandale and adjoining.

We dont put up anything for Christmas - we do light a hanukkah menorah in the window

Old 06-13-2011, 05:39 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Quote:
I know what you mean about the landscaping/yard thing. My dad (who loves landscaping) often comments how some of the high-priced homes in the inner suburbs have really patchy/weedy yards, neglected mulched areas, etc. Dunno. Could be another one of those time/mental energy deficiency situations.. even time/mental energy to work with people you hire (if you go that route) to make landscaping plans (including plans to correct problems), etc.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 PM

221 posts, read 438,313 times
my rent keeps increase, but my quality of life gets worse and worse

Old 06-14-2011, 04:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
What I find odd and disappointing in NoVA and the DC metropolitan area in general is how few people care about their yards. Additionally, I find it odd how few people even put a wreath on their door at Christmas.
LOL, not sure what part of Nova you're in but if you want to find people who are into gardening and wreaths on the front door come out to the burbs. We're into it with a passion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia