Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:36 PM

32,625 posts, read 77,775,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
"Overly blonde" has never been my impression of Ashburn.
My impression of Ashburn is that everyone is gorgeous. From all the time I've spent moseying around and exploring Broadlands, Brambleton, etc. I've seen people of all races and ages who look like they are/were models. There must be something in the water in that part of Loudoun County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 09:52 PM

24 posts, read 74,320 times
For the record, people in NOVA aren't the most friendly I encountered. I've always felt that the whole metro area is lacking in character though. I'm trying to move back to the South though. I just thank my lucky stars I'm not from here. Money isn't everything!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:02 AM

628 posts, read 1,936,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We definitely feel as though we fit in and are surprised that so many others on CD don't know their neighbors or find them unfriendly. We moved to West Springfield a year ago April. Since then my son has met so many kids in the neighborhood and pool that they are almost always outside. We volunteer with the swim and tennis club and serve on its board. I am on a first name basis with a ton of people and almost everybody is grounded and down to earth. A block party is planned for the end of the month and families help each other out whenever it is needed. Helping to watch another child, or getting them where they need to be happens almost daily.
We live in a West Springfield neighborhood, also, and share your experience. I sometimes think that those who complain about not fitting in need to look at themselves for fault and not stereotype their neighbors as the root cause. There are so many ways to meet compatible people in this area, as you suggest.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,777,342 times
I understand exactly where you're coming from...in the same boat myself, can completely relate to your situation You have my sincere sympathies.

As soon as I have a chance and some free time available, I am going to try to participate more and look into meetup.com, which I believe a few C-D posters had recommended as one possible option for meeting new people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
My husband and I recently bought our first house. Being renters, we never really considered this issue before, but I've been thinking about it lately. Do you feel that you "fit in" your NoVA neighborhood?

I definitely don't feel that we "fit in" this neighborhood at all, but we really liked the house/yard, neighborhood, and location. I look around, and the demographics of this neighborhood are very homogeneous, and we are definitely the "diversity" of the neighborhood.

Everyone in the neighborhood/area seems to be extremely blonde, middle-aged, and has kids, and we don't fit any of those demographics. I've been frequenting the local Starbucks, grocery store, etc. and nearly all the patrons fit these characteristics. I don't see anyone who seems similar to us.

I'm starting to worry that we're going to feel "out of place" all the time, which is something we've felt for other reasons since moving here to DC--we've always felt like outsiders. Compounding the issue is that we moved to the DC area without knowing a single person, and so have no "ties" to the area, and no sense of community. No friends/family here. We have yet to find a sense of community/belonging in the area, but then again, we wouldn't have this anywhere, as we never wanted to return to our hometowns.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-12-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
It is no lie that there are groups of people that are very vanilla, insecure, and competitive. If you don't fit in with them, consider yourself lucky. You will most likely have to make friends at work and not look to your neighborhood for this. A shame, I know.
Meeting people and making friends at work is an excellent suggestion to the OP, although in some cases, sometimes there may not be anyone of your own age group there to befriend. Going on nearly 10 years where I've been working, and few if any people my age where I'm at, unfortunately.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,321,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
My impression of Ashburn is that everyone is gorgeous. From all the time I've spent moseying around and exploring Broadlands, Brambleton, etc. I've seen people of all races and ages who look like they are/were models. There must be something in the water in that part of Loudoun County.
Well, Brambleton's developer did give each household one free year membership at the new Sport & Health. Getting pregnant is also in the water, but I think we must be on our own well because we didn't have any luck with that or with the great looks. When you see me at the Bou-Thru or at the Bucks-Thru, you will be blinded by my stunning natural blonde hair (unwashed), my toddler-stained polo shirt (Target, 5+ years old), and my deceptively youthful face (fat = nature's wrinkle filler).

Old 07-12-2010, 10:59 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,968,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Meeting people and making friends at work is an excellent suggestion to the OP, although in some cases, sometimes there may not be anyone of your own age group there to befriend. Going on nearly 10 years where I've been working, and few if any people my age where I'm at, unfortunately.
What's wrong with making friends with older people? Most older women, especially, are match makers. They will have daughters, nieces, granddaughters they want to introduce to a nice young man. Same is true for women, we want our sons, nephews, grandsons to meet a nice young woman. And if you are gay or lesbian, the same applies if we have gay/lesbian relatives. Just because we are older does not mean we are not interesting people, worth getting to know.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:27 AM

No worries, I certainly never meant to imply that making friends with older co-workers, was not a good thing Age shouldn't matter when making a friend.

OTOH, what I have found in own work exp. is, my older co-workers and I have very little in common interest-wise, and since no one goes out to lunch together or anything, and everyone eats at their own cubicle / desk area, it is practically impossible to get beyond being "office acquaintances" with them. Plus, there is no interaction whatsoever with anyone AFAIK (not just me) outside of the office, as in things like ultimate frisbee, etc. where I'm at.

ETA: I would personally love, and feel honored, if an older female co-worker were to consider introducing me to a nice female relative of theirs, of my own age group...just could never picture that as ever happening on a practical level where I'm at is all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
What's wrong with making friends with older people? Most older women, especially, are match makers. They will have daughters, nieces, granddaughters they want to introduce to a nice young man. Same is true for women, we want our sons, nephews, grandsons to meet a nice young woman. And if you are gay or lesbian, the same applies if we have gay/lesbian relatives. Just because we are older does not mean we are not interesting people, worth getting to know.

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 07-12-2010 at 11:42 AM..

Old 07-12-2010, 11:50 AM

577 posts, read 2,065,116 times
It takes some time to feel like you fit in anywhere when you move. It can be frustrating and disappointing. Getting involved in the community can really help facilitate the process. At first things might seem one way but once you get to know people and get involved they often turn out to be different than your first impression - at least that is how it was for me. I don't think people here are any less friendly than any other place. So many of the people who live in NoVa moved here from somewhere else and what you might see as 'not talking to you' might be the other person being shy about meeting new people as well. You may have to make the first and even second move to make friends but eventually you'll get to know people and find friends.

Incidentally, one of the nicest people I know is one of those gorgeous, blonde beauty types and I wouldn't have thought at first glance she would be such a kind, nice person. Sometimes first impressions can be wrong, especially if you just go by sight.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:05 PM

450 posts, read 5,028,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Yes, this is definitely our situation. Co-workers are 20-30 years older, or the few that are around our age have little kids and are too busy to want to get together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia