Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:17 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
Why is there such a thing? Ask the black people who were systematically excluded from white churches, for a century. So, first, black people are forced to have their own churches. Then, they aren't allowed to?

How about we just leave them alone to enjoy their own traditions. They don't owe you (or white people in general) anything.
You want to know something hilarious. You going to laugh when you hear this. I'm BLACK and I grew up in a black church! Imagine that. So while you are telling me to leave them alone, I'm actually one of the people you are talking about.

I do agree with you that blacks were kept out of white churches and subsequently had to form their own churches, but there is two problems with that:

A) Having a separate church is no longer necessary. Slavery was a century and a half ago. You mean to tell me you can't change in 150+ years.

B) There isn't a scripture in the Bible that supports the idea of having a separate church. That means the white slave owners were absolutely wrong, but once slavery was over what is the excuse to keep these churches segregated? There were a number of churches during those times that integrated. How do you explain how they were able to do so but other were not (white, black or whoever). If people want to go to a church that matches their race fine by me. I am just giving my opinion and it was never intended to attack anyone that is offended by what I have said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,436 times
Default They arent looking for race, it is worship traditions

Please don't make this simple inquiry about race. It is really about worship traditions. I urge you both to visit one if the churches mentioned here. Or come to Heritage Fellowship in Reston. We worship one God, the same bible, but our worship traditions are very different. Because some one seeks a specific worship style or tradition doesn't make it your you racist. And to define the black church as confined to spirituals and other remnants of slavery is a gross mischaracterization. If you are only attending the churches in February, maybe so.

Today, like their white counterparts, many of them are in fact integrated and all are welcome. I can way this because I HAVE worshiped in a variety of churches around the world. Several of the largest African American churches in the country are lead by white pastors. My cousin, is a female African-American priest in a predominantly white Episcopal church. She was raised Baptist.

People should be encouraged to find their religion where they can best receive the word of God.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:06 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I think you are being a bit anal. Who said that culture and religion had to blend together? Are you saying it's wrong for people of different cultures who share the same beliefs to worship together? I don't understand where you are coming from. First you say that it's okay for culture to separate believers, but then you say that you wouldn't mind participating in ethnic cultural variety in different NoVa places of worship. I guess a better question would be are you a believer of the Bible?

Its okay to want a blend, and okay to want a more culturally specific place of worship.

Im not sure what you mean by "seperating believers". I would like to attend a Yemeni shul now and then. That an Ashkenazic Jew attends a Yemeni shul, that follows Yemeni customs, does not mean it ceases to be a Yemeni shul.

I presume someone looking for a black church is looking for one that follows certain traditions - not for one where whites are excluded.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:08 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
I I guess a better question would be are you a believer of the Bible?

Do you believe in the Shulchan Aruch? Do you think R' Isserles, of Blessed Memory, was wrong to write the Shulchan Aruch Mappah, which set out where Ashkenazic customs differed from the Sephardic customs that R' Karo set out in the original Shulchan Aruch?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Its okay to want a blend, and okay to want a more culturally specific place of worship.

Im not sure what you mean by "seperating believers". I would like to attend a Yemeni shul now and then. That an Ashkenazic Jew attends a Yemeni shul, that follows Yemeni customs, does not mean it ceases to be a Yemeni shul.

I presume someone looking for a black church is looking for one that follows certain traditions - not for one where whites are excluded.
It can be but a lot of places teeter a very dangerous line and the message become watered down by those same cultural things. That is what I'm talking about. Church is not the place, in my opinion, for there to be culture taught. Church is a place that should not make anyone feel out of place because of their culture because we are supposed to be teaching the same word. I mean does it really make sense that we have to go to a certain church, if we are all supposed to be teaching from the same book? Just a thought. I'm sure there are churches around NoVA that happen to have a predominant black or white congregation that teach the word, but I guarantee you if they are indeed teaching the word of God, than people of other backgrounds will come.

Let me put like this, back in slavery times, do you think slave masters were biblically justified to keep blacks from joining in their service? Culturally they were justified, but biblically, I do not believe they were. So then, my point is, how can you use culture as a means of truth when so many cultures see things differently. Is the Bible meant to taught in such a way that different cultures cannot grasp the word of God the same way?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:20 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
B) There isn't a scripture in the Bible that supports the idea of having a separate church. That means the white slave owners were absolutely wrong, but once slavery was over what is the excuse to keep these churches segregated? There were a number of churches during those times that integrated. How do you explain how they were able to do so but other were not (white, black or whoever). If people want to go to a church that matches their race fine by me. I am just giving my opinion and it was never intended to attack anyone that is offended by what I have said.
When you say "there were a number of churches during those times that integrated," what "times" are you referring to?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Do you believe in the Shulchan Aruch? Do you think R' Isserles, of Blessed Memory, was wrong to write the Shulchan Aruch Mappah, which set out where Ashkenazic customs differed from the Sephardic customs that R' Karo set out in the original Shulchan Aruch?
No and I can't say that I'm familiar with any of those text extensively. Of course I can relate to the Torah, but not much else in Jewish tradition. My point of asking you that question is because I wanted to know what your frame of reference is. If you do not believe in the Bible then it is very difficult for you to see how having separation in church is biblically unjustified. That's like me trying to explain to you why you should have certain traditions as a Jew without me necessarily believe in what you believe. That is the reason for my questioning. If we have different perspective on the Bible, then we simply aren't going to agree.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
When you say "there were a number of churches during those times that integrated," what "times" are you referring to?
Slavery times and right after the emanicipation.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:45 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
Why is there such a thing? Ask the black people who were systematically excluded from white churches, for a century. So, first, black people are forced to have their own churches. Then, they aren't allowed to?

How about we just leave them alone to enjoy their own traditions. They don't owe you (or white people in general) anything.
Actually goes back further than a century but point well taken.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Slavery times and right after the emanicipation.
They were very few. The only denomination that comes to mind is the Quakers (I've actually always wondered why there are not more Black Quakers but a topic for another thread) .

Some were intergrated but Blacks had to sit in the back in the rafters. After awhile that wasn't good enough and they simply banished Blacks or folks left to start all white churches or all black churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia