Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:52 AM

870 posts, read 2,110,327 times

Advertisements

Well, we're now under a Winter Storm Watch. Unlike all of the other hits and misses this winter, as this storm has approached all models seem to be converging for more snow and less rain. We might start out as a rain event, but by late Wednesday afternoon or early Wednesday evening we are forecast for snow, wonderful snow.

Now, the forecasters are not expecting 8-12" in Northern Virginia, but even 3-6" would be a very nice change from the winter we've had to date.

So, everyone should run over to Wegman's to get their cheap but possibly foul-tasting milk and toilet paper, then run home and constantly hit refresh on the Capital Weather Gang's blog. You might be able to build a small snowman once this one is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
So, everyone should run over to Wegman's to get their cheap but possibly foul-tasting milk and toilet paper, then run home and constantly hit refresh on the Capital Weather Gang's blog. You might be able to build a small snowman once this one is done.
Okay, this made me laugh out loud... for real.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
Well, we're now under a Winter Storm Watch. Unlike all of the other hits and misses this winter, as this storm has approached all models seem to be converging for more snow and less rain. We might start out as a rain event, but by late Wednesday afternoon or early Wednesday evening we are forecast for snow, wonderful snow.

Now, the forecasters are not expecting 8-12" in Northern Virginia, but even 3-6" would be a very nice change from the winter we've had to date.

I just stopped at Wegman's on my way home with my friend/coworker. She who also hates the Wegman's milk. She bought it anyway because it was the only chance she'd have to get milk.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:05 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
It looks not so great out there now at 4am.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:32 AM

722 posts, read 1,923,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Okay, this made me laugh out loud... for real.
me too!

Old 01-26-2011, 03:33 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
It looks not so great out there now at 4am.
This is when I leave for work. I live in Manassas. It was snowing when I left....Rt. 28 was good in Prince William. When it flipped to Fairfax County the roads had not been treated and were pretty slippery. At this point the snow had changed to rain. Rt. 66 was ok in the main 2 travel lanes....the left lane was not driven on much and was VERY SLICK. I know this because I was behind some very sllooooow people and so I went in the left lane to pass them and my car fish tailed a little. Inside the beltway it was slick but not real bad. In Arlington the roads were slushy and snowy but the speed limit is 30 so it is not a big deal. Now, I parked my car at 4:33am on the street....at about 4:48 the rain had turned over to sleet. Walking into work for 5am the sidewalks were SLIPPERY....so becareful walkers!

Old 01-26-2011, 03:38 AM

I have a question....why do people buy milk and bread when it snows? Is it sandwich eating weather or what? I used to work in a grocery store and I remember the blizzard of 96....people were insane. How much milk can one possibly drink? How many sandwiches can we eat? How long does that lunch meat last?

I would think people might be making stews, chilis and roasts in snowy weather....sipping hot chocolate and tea. But in this area it seems like people like to drink milk and eat sandwiches.... I am just not sure I get it. You'd think at the rate in which we shop when we hear snow that we're going to be snowed in for weeks on end.... With all the bulk buying in the world from Costco - do folks here really not keep any food in their houses?

I

Old 01-26-2011, 04:25 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,614 times
Staying home today, daycare is only open from 9-2, there's enough ice/snow predicted to make it not worth going into work for my wife either.

FCPS are closed, but opm.gov says feds are open on time??? Alexandria/Arlington/Falls Church all open so I guess it's not so bad further in.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:31 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Well, here I sit at my desk. Took me about 10 minutes longer to get in. Roads in Woodbridge were good (except my neighborhood). DC roads were slushy and untreated. I'll probably leave around lunch today to head home and beat the heavy stuff.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Staying home today, daycare is only open from 9-2, there's enough ice/snow predicted to make it not worth going into work for my wife either.

FCPS are closed, but opm.gov says feds are open on time??? Alexandria/Arlington/Falls Church all open so I guess it's not so bad further in.
I don't think there would be any reason to have a delayed opening for the federal government today. What I might have expected to see was just a flat unscheduled leave day because of the incoming weather which I think would have been appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia