Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 10:22 AM

894 posts, read 2,316,725 times

Advertisements

My teachers always yelled at us. This was in the 80's and early 90's. Big deal. If anything it builds character, which many growing up now will severely lack. Unless the teacher is being belligerent, or verbally abusive(cursing, name calling, etc), there is nothing wrong with a teacher being forceful with a group of mis-behaving children.

I say this as a person who had a second grade teacher get so upset with me she threw her pen at the ceiling which broke. And a third grade teacher got so frustrated with our class he punched the chalkboard. Even though they showed signs of frustration, I remember them fondly and they did care about their classes and students.

If people can't figure how to deal with their in-sensibilities at an early age, how in the world will they be able to deal with the real world once they grow up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,796 times
When I was in high school Ms. Dieker was a witch sometimes.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:00 AM

21 posts, read 37,719 times
"Don't believe everything your kids tell you about me, and I won't believe what they tell me about you."

Old 10-31-2014, 07:26 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,250,535 times
Okay. Let's revive a 2011 thread.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:40 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,468,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Okay. Let's revive a 2011 thread.
Sounds good. Bump!

Old 10-31-2014, 03:03 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
This old thread strikes a nerve, LOL.

Just the other day, I was accused of speeding on their street by a student....a kindergartner, no less.

Of course the parents believed Precious and lodged a complaint against me. Fortunately for me, all FCPS buses are equipped with a satellite tracking system that continually logs, among other things, the speed of the bus. The highest speed I reached on the street in question was 22 mph...in a 25 zone.

Turns out little Precious was mistaken. Of course, I won't hold my breath waiting for an apology...LOL

Old 07-18-2015, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,587 times
Default The director yells (not her teacher) what do I do?

We attend a private kindergarten and at times my child cries at night and has anxiety about going to school. She tells me that the director yells at the kids and puts them in time out for everything. Even watching her classmates receive discipline intimidates her. Although it's not the teacher who yells, this director does watch the kids on a daily basis for about an hour. Is this damaging even though it's a short period of time? I do explain to my daughter that some people are like this. I have also brought this to the director's attention privately on two occasions but she was very offended and said she is firm (didn't admit the yelling) with the kids and is not going to change. However, since our discussion it has improved but she still has her days and is slipping back to the way she was before. I'm not the type of person to cause issues for someone, but I feel obligated say something at a higher level (and for future students who might attend there). How and what should I do now?

CJ

Old 07-18-2015, 06:01 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,729,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjurzak View Post
We attend a private kindergarten and at times my child cries at night and has anxiety about going to school. She tells me that the director yells at the kids and puts them in time out for everything. Even watching her classmates receive discipline intimidates her. Although it's not the teacher who yells, this director does watch the kids on a daily basis for about an hour. Is this damaging even though it's a short period of time? I do explain to my daughter that some people are like this. I have also brought this to the director's attention privately on two occasions but she was very offended and said she is firm (didn't admit the yelling) with the kids and is not going to change. However, since our discussion it has improved but she still has her days and is slipping back to the way she was before. I'm not the type of person to cause issues for someone, but I feel obligated say something at a higher level (and for future students who might attend there). How and what should I do now?

CJ
I'd find out who her boss is and talk to him/her. If there is no boss, surely there's a board of directors. You tried being nice; now it's time to be firm. Alternatively, you could hire a lawyer to send a nastygram--but that's expensive.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:25 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,433,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I'd find out who her boss is and talk to him/her. If there is no boss, surely there's a board of directors. You tried being nice; now it's time to be firm. Alternatively, you could hire a lawyer to send a nastygram--but that's expensive.
Or.....since it's a private school,they are paying to attend, leave. Find another one, maybe even public school.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,587 times
Okay so it is damaging even though it's for a short period of time... for my daughter I compared it to having a mean lunch lady. There are plenty of those Now I feel really bad for letting go so long by taking the nice approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia