Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:37 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,124 times

Advertisements

They are just the absolute WORST. Or at least mine is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 02:46 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Well, nobody is forcing you to live there. Move to a neighborhood without one.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:47 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I had that experience in the last condo I lived in, but the one here is great! They are like family.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:06 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post

What happened?

Old 06-05-2011, 03:13 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
Move to a neighborhood without one. You'll be wishing for one after some time. Multiple broken down cars in a driveway. Cars with dead tags and not running sitting on the road. Uncut grass. peeling paint on the house. HOA's can be a PITA at times but they are also a necessary evil at times.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:29 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Why not get involved and change what you don't like? They're completely democratic so your vote is as important as anyone else's. You own your association.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:58 PM

142 posts, read 273,016 times
As someone who moved here a year ago, I'll tell all of you "well move someplace else" types that HOAs are so widespread in NOVA that there aren't many places without one. Believe me, if it were up to us, we'd have moved to the Gulf Coast and been on the water without 7 million people around us, but Uncle Sam said "Go to DC young man", so here we are. I've lived in 7 different states and I've never seen so many HOAs.

We've had issues with our association as well. My 20 ft wide, 8 inch high vegetable garden in my backyard was deemed 'innappropriate' and I was told to remove it. Our teens were told they couldn't have their graduation party at the clubhouse we pay for, even though several of us parents said we would chaperone the party. So...how do you change it? Run for office and get rid of the kooks that are running the board. Me and the pres have been at each other's throats ever since my first meeting. He's totally lost that fact that he works for the residents and he pushes his own agenda. I've called him out on this many times in meetings and the residents are getting a clue that this guy needs to go. 9 yrs as pres is long enough. I guess since he doesn't work, he can spend all of his time thinking of ways to get everyone in line.

So get on the board. that's how you can make a difference. Campaign and promise to represent the residents. Don't act like some sort of 2-bit dictator and push your own agenda.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:57 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,018 times
I think HOAs around here sort of serve the purpose of incorporated towns within other large metro areas' suburban sections (though those places obviously have HOAs, too.. they're just not a necessity to the same extent). Frankly, the idea of NOT being in an HOA in Fairfax Co. (assuming you're not in Vienna or the other 1-2 incorporated towns that aren't independent of the county) is pretty terrifying.. I get bad visuals of waist-high weeds with sun-faded litter garland.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:02 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,200 times
The board leadership does make such a difference. Often the control freaks drive out the sensible people. Sometimes the sensible people are able to outnumber the control freaks.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:26 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
HOAs are good to keep an eye on your renters, but I've just seen too many piles of dogsheet. I now have a tiny 1946 house on 7244 sf. I am the HOA, judge, and jury. If I have a problem, I call the police--that's what i pay taxes for. We still have a neighborhood association so we can listen to people make idiotic statements about stray cats and beer stores selling single beers at the drive thru--pure amusement and it doesn't cost a dime. We have a great community police officer, too. My PITI+HOA+homeowners insurance +water+sewer +trash=97 Dollars per month. I'll be walking to the All-Star Game next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia