Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:24 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,963,506 times

Advertisements

And there is the famous "Gladly the cross I'd bear" which sounds like "Gladly, the cross-eyed bear".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 06:34 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
When I was a child, I always confused "prosecuted" (as in "shoplifters will be prosecuted"), with "persecuted", which, thanks to my Catholic school upbringing, I understood to mean "killed".

Needless to say, no sticky fingers here.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 AM

146 posts, read 343,609 times
Until a few years ago, I thought eggs didn't expire. My husband (boyfriend at the time) found 5 month old eggs in my fridge and said, "No wonder your kids hate eggs!!" Eeeww, right?

Also he has informed me that "forte" -meaning a person's skill or talent- is NOT pronounced fort-ay but fort.

This is the first house I ever lived in with a mailbox by street and my husband had to explain the procedure for the flag. I am 43--embarrassing.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:45 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Although boys in the locker room would insult each other using insulting names for sexual identity and associated acts, I never knew what they were talking about.
My mother was not clued in to a lot of slang words, and also fond of "sounding British" and used a lot of expressions she thought sounded "anglophile". This sometimes led to embarrassing moments. One time I found out she never grasped that a word that rhymes with maggots was an offensive term for "gay". She thought it meant kindling for the fire. She gave a speech at a banquet and in front of the crowd asked someone to throw a few f****ots on the fire.

The one Nova-related thing that I've never gotten right is saying Rt. 7 without using "the". As in "I took the 7 to get to McLean." I know it's wrong. I do, I do, I do. But what can I say, I lived in California for 20+ years and some habits I just can't break.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:51 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmadhel View Post
Also he has informed me that "forte" -meaning a person's skill or talent- is NOT pronounced fort-ay but fort.
Apparently it can be pronounced both ways: Forte | Define Forte at Dictionary.com

I've always pronounced it fort-ay and didn't know it was proper the other way.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Forte comes from both French and Italian with the same spelling and meaning, but different pronunciation. In French, the final "e" is silent. In Italian, it isn't. There being more Italians than French in the US, the dominant spoken version here has been FOR-tay, but FORT is well represented as well. It might catch up if all you FORT-sayers start some sort of lobbying campaign or other, but I don't think it's in gneeral as big an issue with people as say, whether toilet paper should come off the top or bottom of the roll...

Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 AM

564 posts, read 1,494,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
The one Nova-related thing that I've never gotten right is saying Rt. 7 without using "the". As in "I took the 7 to get to McLean." I know it's wrong. I do, I do, I do. But what can I say, I lived in California for 20+ years and some habits I just can't break.
You have no idea how much this drives me nuts...the wife and a friend of mine who recently moved here originate from out west and they can't stop doing this, no matter how much I try to correct them! They will ask "Oh, so do I need to take the 495 to the 66?" and I smugly reply "No, 'the 66' doesn't exist. You could, however take the beltway to 66". I may be contributing to my wife's directional handicap but I can't resist.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:31 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Apparently it can be pronounced both ways: Forte | Define Forte at Dictionary.com

I've always pronounced it fort-ay and didn't know it was proper the other way.
Thanks so much for this response. I almost thought I had been saying that wrong thanks to the earlier comment.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:44 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Thanks so much for this response. I almost thought I had been saying that wrong thanks to the earlier comment.
You're welcome. I had to look it up when you posted to make sure I hadn't been saying it wrong all this time!

Old 07-07-2011, 11:03 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
My mother was not clued in to a lot of slang words, and also fond of "sounding British" and used a lot of expressions she thought sounded "anglophile". This sometimes led to embarrassing moments. One time I found out she never grasped that a word that rhymes with maggots was an offensive term for "gay". She thought it meant kindling for the fire. She gave a speech at a banquet and in front of the crowd asked someone to throw a few f****ots on the fire.
We once attended a wedding in NYC where about half the guests had come over from England. At the end of the reception some of the British guests told my adult children that they were "going out to pick up some f*gs." My children thought this was surprisingly blunt. It was clarified a short time later when the Brits reappeared -- with their newly-purchased CIGARETTES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia