Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:57 AM

648 posts, read 1,334,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Amen to that.

And maybe I will!

BTW, what are the odds: Today on the ArlNow blog, there's a story about a deer that got hit by a car near the I-66 ramp, and AWLA is leaving the carcass to fester in someone's front yard: Deer Struck on I-66 Ramp Left Dead in EFC Yard | ARLnow.com
Awww, it still had its spots, too

I can't wrap my head around someone hitting a baby deer and driving away. Horrible, horrible.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:22 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,729,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Awww, it still had its spots, too

I can't wrap my head around someone hitting a baby deer and driving away. Horrible, horrible.
I would hate to hit a deer, but if one jumps in front of your car and you hit it, what could you do for it? I guess I'd try to call animal control, but then they're closed on Tuesdays in Arlington! If the deer is dead, then staying with the carcass isn't going to accomplish anything.

At any rate: I don't have much faith that a county that can't retrieve a large dead animal from someone's front yard is going to put any effort into enforcing the leash law.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:39 PM

648 posts, read 1,334,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I would hate to hit a deer, but if one jumps in front of your car and you hit it, what could you do for it? I guess I'd try to call animal control, but then they're closed on Tuesdays in Arlington! If the deer is dead, then staying with the carcass isn't going to accomplish anything.

At any rate: I don't have much faith that a county that can't retrieve a large dead animal from someone's front yard is going to put any effort into enforcing the leash law.

I don't know, maybe I'm different - but whoever hit it obviously didn't care if it was still alive or not...they didn't even check. It would kill me to hit something and not know if it was lying there suffering.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:53 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,947,551 times
I would kindly inform them that your dog is aggressive and ask them to place their dog on a leash. Or, you could just warn them that there is a really aggressive dog ahead that tried to attack your dog and that you were so happy yours was on a leash! If that doesn't work and the dog gets near yours, carry a water bottle with you and spray the water all over the dog approaching. The owner will get the picture. I keep mine on their leashes no matter what when we are in a public place such as a trail. You never know when they may see a duck, etc. and charge after it. I think my dogs are fairly lazy, but you never know. The only time the police will enforce the law is if there is a human bite incident it seems.

It does bother me when people aren't paying attention to their dogs and allow them to leave messes and not clean up after them. I am all for my dogs being free, but in my backyard, sure. In a place where there is a possibility others will be around, I feel so much safer with them on their leashes because I can effectively control them. If people were more responsible and followed those laws, I would imagine our dogs would be welcome in more places.

I hope that most people are receptive to your requests and considerate about it. We have only encountered one unleashed dog on a trail before and he/she stayed very close to the owner so that was assuring but I don't like when random dogs run up to you. Good Luck!

Old 08-16-2011, 04:05 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,729,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I would kindly inform them that your dog is aggressive and ask them to place their dog on a leash. Or, you could just warn them that there is a really aggressive dog ahead that tried to attack your dog and that you were so happy yours was on a leash! If that doesn't work and the dog gets near yours, carry a water bottle with you and spray the water all over the dog approaching.
Thanks. I will try the former, but I think the latter might invite retribution against my dog, which is not something I'm willing to risk.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:31 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,892,017 times
You are not alone,it is a huge pet peeve of mine as well. Futhermore those who walk the dogs off leash rarely stop to pick up the waste, that usually ends up in my yard or a neighbors etc...
Here we have a big problem with that in our city park on the jogging walking trail, many people just let thier dogs off leash and then you step in the mess! The other issue is at the school yards, people from the surrounding neighborhoods bring thier dogs to the schools and let the dogs run. yes, it a nice fenced in area...but it's for kids!

I am a dog owner and I love dogs, But I DO NOT makethe assumption that everyone else does!

Old 08-16-2011, 05:52 PM

560 posts, read 1,292,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
You are not alone,it is a huge pet peeve of mine as well. Futhermore those who walk the dogs off leash rarely stop to pick up the waste, that usually ends up in my yard or a neighbors etc...
Here we have a big problem with that in our city park on the jogging walking trail, many people just let thier dogs off leash and then you step in the mess! The other issue is at the school yards, people from the surrounding neighborhoods bring thier dogs to the schools and let the dogs run. yes, it a nice fenced in area...but it's for kids!

I am a dog owner and I love dogs, But I DO NOT makethe assumption that everyone else does!
Was thinking the same thing, the main reason for no leash is probably that it’s easier to pretend that you don’t know what Fido is doing. Have you ever seen any of these no-leash people carrying a plastic bag?

RE enforcement, the code seems to indicate (based on the definition of “officer”) that the police also have responsibility for enforcement. Not a lawyer, though, and don’t know what happens in reality.

http://www.arlingtonva.us/department.../file74496.pdf

Old 08-16-2011, 09:23 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
What people don't realize is they think they know their dog and how it will react in every situation. The biggest problem with this is if everyone felt their dog would never, ever get into an altercation, chase a dog into traffic.... well, it would be a perfect world and all our dogs could be off leash. Having your dog on a leash protects your dog and at a minimum you have some control. It annoys me to no end b/c I feel those owners pose a risk to my dogs and their own.
"He was always such a nice dog, would never harm a baby" said the owner of the dog shot dead by the Police after it killed the old lady.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:31 PM

326 posts, read 689,539 times
Oh brother... someone needs a chill pill. have these dogs ever actually done anything to warrant your suspicion?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM

326 posts, read 689,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
"He was always such a nice dog, would never harm a baby" said the owner of the dog shot dead by the Police after it killed the old lady.
Is this an actual real world scenario? didnt think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia