Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 02:35 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times

Advertisements

Looking at Winchester or Charlestown, but not consider Maryland because of the commute? There's a bridge on Rt. 15 north of Leesburg, as well as a Ferry. I think the commute would be shorter than the two cities above. However, some of the other suggestions that other posters gave are pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 06:06 PM

554 posts, read 977,914 times
I would look at Herndon or Leesburg perhaps even Purcellville. All 3 are suburban (although it gets somewhat rural once you get outside of the downtown area of Leesburg which for some that may be desirable). The 350 for a sf house may be difficult but I have seen some in Herndon form the 350-400k range. Countrysidle is nice area but for me it's to planned and sterile. Winchester or Charlestown would be a tough commute esp in winter when a bit of ice gets on the roads. Herndon would be the easiest commute. Leesburg or Purcellville will be 30-45 min depending on how you go and what parts of those towns you choose.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:48 PM

12 posts, read 19,546 times
Thanks everyone. Yes, the winter commute has been on our minds. The person leaving the job I'm taking wanted to work virtual and the employer wanted them there in the office. (although I'd like to hope they wouldn't want me risking my neck.)

We narrowed down to Bartow and Warrenton. We haven't ruled out Leesburg, and do plan to head out to Winchester to time the ride (and add time for rush hour) to check it out.

Will also investigate Countryside. My thoughts on the $350k price is that the market could dictate someone being talked down to sell quick.

We really also must thank everyone who responded...this was an overwhelming response to a daunting problem for area newbies and we can't thank you enough. Judging on what I'm reading, Winchester seems a bit far, and adverse weather could make it a beast of a commute.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:52 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,266,017 times
I assume you meant Bristow. Warrenton will add a considerable amount of time to your commute. I would really focus as much effort on Bristow, Gainesville and parts of Haymarket. The closer you are to 66 the better. Keep in mind that the Gainesville 29/66 interchange will be undergoing massive construction soon. They are bulding fly overs, etc since the train tracks run through the intersection. While much of the area has been built in the last 10-15 years there is a small subdivision across the street from Atlas Walk that has some nice older homes - Lawnvale - zip 20155. Atlas Walk should cover a ton of shopping needs - Target, Best Buy, restaurants, Lowe's, DSW, Pier I and the new movie theaters open next year. The area is extremely family friendly and the fact that there are 6 elementary schools in less than a 10 mile radius should tell you something. Depending on exactly where your office is, your commute will be an hour. Just depends on how you slice the pros and cons if the commute time is worth it. Good luck with your search.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:16 PM

227 posts, read 399,167 times
Chantilly (Brookfield)
Herndon (Kingston chase)
Sterling (Country side)

Would be my go to locations if I worked at IAD.

Winchester? Via Rt 50? Ouch...

Old 09-06-2011, 01:42 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,452,938 times
Check out the in-town neighborhoods of Purcellville, specifically Kingsbridge. The prices in Western Loudoun have significantly dropped and there are a couple smaller models in there that might work. Also the smaller, older in-town neighborhoods in Round Hill and Hamilton. You might be surprised.

Winchester is delightful but remember, you would have to go over the Mountain on Route 7 at the Loudoun/Clarke County line. In good weather, it looks like a lovely hill with fantastic views on both sides. In the winter . . . it gets horrible fog and snow/ice makes the downhill a lot like a toboggan ride. It is very deceptive and there really is not an alterative route. When there is an accident, it is a disaster for traffic.

And the above poster was right, Route 50 would be a horrible commute, miles out of the way.

Best of luck.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I assume you meant Bristow. Warrenton will add a considerable amount of time to your commute. I would really focus as much effort on Bristow, Gainesville and parts of Haymarket. The closer you are to 66 the better. Keep in mind that the Gainesville 29/66 interchange will be undergoing massive construction soon. They are bulding fly overs, etc since the train tracks run through the intersection. While much of the area has been built in the last 10-15 years there is a small subdivision across the street from Atlas Walk that has some nice older homes - Lawnvale - zip 20155. Atlas Walk should cover a ton of shopping needs - Target, Best Buy, restaurants, Lowe's, DSW, Pier I and the new movie theaters open next year. The area is extremely family friendly and the fact that there are 6 elementary schools in less than a 10 mile radius should tell you something. Depending on exactly where your office is, your commute will be an hour. Just depends on how you slice the pros and cons if the commute time is worth it. Good luck with your search.
Bristow....yes...sorry! And thanks for that tip....very in-depth! We will look into Atlas Walk!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Winchester is delightful but remember, you would have to go over the Mountain on Route 7 at the Loudoun/Clarke County line. In good weather, it looks like a lovely hill with fantastic views on both sides. In the winter . . . it gets [I
horrible [/i]fog and snow/ice makes the downhill a lot like a toboggan ride. It is very deceptive and there really is not an alterative route. When there is an accident, it is a disaster for traffic.

And the above poster was right, Route 50 would be a horrible commute, miles out of the way.
A mountain?? In the winter??? Ugh...I've seen enough of that scene in NJ on I-80 in Warren County. I think you just sealed the deal on NOT going to Winchester and you probably saved me from years of misery. Thank you!!!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 PM

Alot of people have suggested Countryside in Sterling. We're afraid of bad schools, intermixing with bad areas, or being too close to bad areas. Is Countryside a risk?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:21 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,614,070 times
I too would not recommend Warrenton. It's a nice enough town, but you don't want to drive 29 after getting off 66. Imagine heavy traffic going well above the speed limit... not safe on that road.

Btw 29/66 intersection is complete. It's the 29 and Linton Hall/Gallaher intersection that is being rebuilt. It's one hot mess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia