Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 12:02 AM

4 posts, read 5,556 times

Advertisements

I know. I know. I know.

There are tons of posts on this site about moving to northern virginia, I just can't find the one that satisfies me (trust me I've looked). So please bear with me

I am a 23 year old female soon to be recent graduate. I love to be social and meet new people.

I graduate from college in 7 short weeks-it can't come fast enough, yet I never want it to be here. I have known I am moving to the DC area since August, although it really didn't hit me until today when I picked up my gap and gown/ordered graduation invitations (cliche I know).

My dilemma; I am unsure of what to do next. My office will be in Annandale, but I will be working in DC. Crappy, right? Because of this, I do not want to live in DC due to the commute at 0730 (when I have to be at the office). Would the commute be worth it? Arlington seems to be my best choice, but I don't even know where to begin looking. Yes, the cost of living is still a shock, I am willing to pay up to 1250 in rent which means I will need a room mate. When I don't know a soul where do I find one?

Being from the south, I know it will be a culture shock. Am I worrying too much? Any advice would be more than greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 01:29 AM

518 posts, read 1,451,036 times
I still consider DC/MD/VA to be in the South, but I'm probably in the minority; so it may be a culture shock for you, but nothing to worry about. Washington IS a very cosmopolitan city. You'd probably be happiest living in Arlington with a reverse commute to Annandale on Rt 50, I-66, or I-395 which shouldn't be too bad at all. When you have time to go into DC, when you're not working, Metro is very convenient, and it's a short ride into town.

Try Craigslist and the multiple other websites that list roomshares. In the popular parts of Arlington (Clarendon, Ballston, Courthouse, Crystal City, etc.) $1250/mo might get you a small studio/bachelor apt in a very old building/garden apt. At least $1,500/mo up for a bachelor in the new mid-rise / high-rise buildings.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:20 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,614 times
1. I would say that $1250 can get you a roommate, use Craigslist or similar sites. I'd put in things about whether you're a smoker, how 420-tolerant you are, whether you'd be icked out by a roomie bringing her boyfriend home, etc.
2. Not sure what you mean by "My office will be in Annandale, but I will be working in DC." How often a week will you be going to Annandale and to DC a week? I'd factor that in your decision.
3. Also where in DC are you working, that'll let us give you better advice on areas to consider in Northern VA. For example: If you're working near a Red Line station, I'd even opine that you're better off in Maryland.
4. A lot depends on how much of a partier you are -- if you're not huge on that you can save a good deal of money living in/around Falls Church, Huntingdon, etc. (still Metro-accessible but not as pricey as the party areas of North Arlington.)
5. Remember, you'll be commuting 5x a week, socializing 1-3x a week usually.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
Agree that it would help to know where in DC (and whether it's metro-able), and how often you'll be in Annandale vs. DC.

Arlington is a happy medium, and a great social spot for 20-somethings. I've found multiple roommates on Craigslist (as have most of my friends over the years) and it's generally worked out well. You might see if your college has an alumni association in the area who you can spread the word with that you're looking for a place. Another option is to network through your church--someone might know someone else who would let you stay with them while you get your bearings and search for a place to rent.

The commute from Arlington/DC to Annandale shouldn't be bad, as it's as much of a reverse commute as you can get around here.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:31 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,915 times
I'd say Springfield VA. It's reasonably priced, near Annandale, and has a metro stop. See if your new job will subsidize your metro costs (many offer this as a benefit). Also many apartment complexes run shuttles to the metro stop.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:44 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.silver919 View Post
I know. I know. I know.

There are tons of posts on this site about moving to northern virginia, I just can't find the one that satisfies me (trust me I've looked). So please bear with me

I am a 23 year old female soon to be recent graduate. I love to be social and meet new people.

I graduate from college in 7 short weeks-it can't come fast enough, yet I never want it to be here. I have known I am moving to the DC area since August, although it really didn't hit me until today when I picked up my gap and gown/ordered graduation invitations (cliche I know).

My dilemma; I am unsure of what to do next. My office will be in Annandale, but I will be working in DC. Crappy, right? Because of this, I do not want to live in DC due to the commute at 0730 (when I have to be at the office). Would the commute be worth it? Arlington seems to be my best choice, but I don't even know where to begin looking. Yes, the cost of living is still a shock, I am willing to pay up to 1250 in rent which means I will need a room mate. When I don't know a soul where do I find one?

Being from the south, I know it will be a culture shock. Am I worrying too much? Any advice would be more than greatly appreciated.
Hello,

I'm a 23 yr old graduating in May, currently living in Kentucky (Louisville) and I lived in Northern VA (Alexandria) for 6 years.

I think you are right to accept roomates will be likely and should look at North Arlington (anywhere on Metro's Orange Line) for $1250. I think that will give you a good medium.

And, please believe, you will be in for a major culture shock. I went back to Northern VA earlier in the month from Louisville. It is truly two different worlds especially in types of people.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,556 times
Thanks for all the advice! I am excited and nervous about my move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia