Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 AM

208 posts, read 819,929 times

Advertisements

I want apologize in advance if I offend anyone, especially since I'm going to have to generalize a lot, so please don't take anything personally.

Although Northern VA has many jobs, I just can't deal with the hassle of living and working here everyday. I heard the stories of traffic, congestion, and rude people, but like most things, I didn't really think it was that bad. After being here for some time, I realize why people are "rude", it's the freaking commute and population. Peace, long life, and sanity to anyone that lives out in Woodbridge, or anywhere south, and have to drive North for work. I don't want to deal with bumper to bumper every day.

I see how the "rudeness" develops; you want to get to your destination and some idiot is holding you up, some pedestrian is taking their sweet time to cross the street, or you have to circle the block a few times just to find parking. When I first arrived here, I was "that guy", the person that let cars through, the person that took their time, but that has changed. It only took a few people that weren't paying attention when I attempted to let them through, for me to realize that it's not worth the hassle. I wait to let you through, you don't pay attention, then as I'm going to drive past you, you decide "Oh, you are letting me through", so you pull out in front of me, you go slow, you stop at the yellow light, and now myself, and 10 others miss the light, causing a series of events that ultimately lead to a rift in the space time continuum...well, maybe not that bad, but you get the point.

Next are the pedestrians...yes VA, I see the signs about the pedestrians having the right of way, but could you at least walk in a straight line, and not in some diagonal. (The shortest distance between two points is a straight line) Or why don't you cross when the sign says don't cross, because you know I better not hit you.

Okay, I can go on and on, so I will say this. I'm still happy to live in a country where a whiner like me can complain, and decide just to move to another state that does not have these issues. I don't have to keep complaining, I can provide a solution for myself. A lot of the post is to complain, but it's good to have the option of changing things.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:59 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,951,063 times
You're not alone in your complaints about drivers and traffic. It's something many people put up with in order to have stable, well paying jobs. If you have the opportunity to make the same/better standard of living in an area with less stress and traffic, I don't think anyone is going to fault you for moving there.

Good luck--I hope it works out for you.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 AM

248 posts, read 701,212 times
Isn't everything you described true for any area with a dense population?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 AM

648 posts, read 1,334,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
Isn't everything you described true for any area with a dense population?

No. I used to live in Los Angeles and I have NEVER seen drivers there like I've seen here. I, too, have also never seen pedestrians that cross the road on a diagonal. It's weird stuff, I tell you.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 AM

648 posts, read 1,334,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
I want apologize in advance if I offend anyone, especially since I'm going to have to generalize a lot, so please don't take anything personally.

Although Northern VA has many jobs, I just can't deal with the hassle of living and working here everyday. I heard the stories of traffic, congestion, and rude people, but like most things, I didn't really think it was that bad. After being here for some time, I realize why people are "rude", it's the freaking commute and population. Peace, long life, and sanity to anyone that lives out in Woodbridge, or anywhere south, and have to drive North for work. I don't want to deal with bumper to bumper every day.

I see how the "rudeness" develops; you want to get to your destination and some idiot is holding you up, some pedestrian is taking their sweet time to cross the street, or you have to circle the block a few times just to find parking. When I first arrived here, I was "that guy", the person that let cars through, the person that took their time, but that has changed. It only took a few people that weren't paying attention when I attempted to let them through, for me to realize that it's not worth the hassle. I wait to let you through, you don't pay attention, then as I'm going to drive past you, you decide "Oh, you are letting me through", so you pull out in front of me, you go slow, you stop at the yellow light, and now myself, and 10 others miss the light, causing a series of events that ultimately lead to a rift in the space time continuum...well, maybe not that bad, but you get the point.

Next are the pedestrians...yes VA, I see the signs about the pedestrians having the right of way, but could you at least walk in a straight line, and not in some diagonal. (The shortest distance between two points is a straight line) Or why don't you cross when the sign says don't cross, because you know I better not hit you.

Okay, I can go on and on, so I will say this. I'm still happy to live in a country where a whiner like me can complain, and decide just to move to another state that does not have these issues. I don't have to keep complaining, I can provide a solution for myself. A lot of the post is to complain, but it's good to have the option of changing things.

I am with you, sir. If someone's not paying attention from time to time, fine. But more often than not, I'll try and let people cut in and they're on their phone or trying to find something they dropped or looking at the blue prints for a space shuttle. You snooze, you lose, folks.

The people that live closer in to DC would drive me absolutely bananas if I had to encounter them everyday. But that's why I chose to move to the country so I only have to deal with them on a much smaller scale.

Last edited by katyusha25; 03-08-2012 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: .

Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,096,774 times
Quote:
So are you leaving?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:35 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,318,927 times
Traffic is without question the worst thing about this area. But it does have alot to offer if you can manage that. One way to manage it, don't live in Woodbridge if you work in the city or to the north somewhere. I'm curious to know where you're going that's so much better.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:36 AM

208 posts, read 819,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
So are you leaving?
lol, yes I am, probably in the next few months. Maybe my departure will alleviate some of the traffic, I will no longer contribute to the problem, I will help become the solution.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,102,711 times
Just curious... if you're leaving Virginia, how come your location is listed as Georgia?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:42 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,096,774 times
Quote:
lol, yes I am, probably in the next few months. Maybe my departure will alleviate some of the traffic, I will no longer contribute to the problem, I will help become the solution.
CG, it's okay to rant as nearly all of us on this forum knows about (and has experienced) the traffic. I agree that it's enough to drive a person batty.

Good luck wherever you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia