Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:22 AM

477 posts, read 736,984 times

Advertisements

First, I am sorry, there are many threads here about Brambleton and I tried my best to resurrect one of those but felt my questions are specific to these two roads so created a new thread.

We are hoping to buy a SFH this summer or late 2012.

And we decided that we should move to Loudoun county especially Brambleton based on all the nice things we hear. I once drove on Loudoun county pkwy, Ryan road to visit a friend of mine (about 6 months ago), I saw lot of construction but really liked the setting.

We work in Tysons corner so want to live little bit closer to Major roads or Dulles toll road.

So I have been searching for homes around Belmont ridge and Ryan road and have seen some nice ones (on a website not walkins).
For ex, Brambleton Land bay, Loudoun valley estates (the homes in this community seem to be in the range of 800-1M) but I am not sure if should research about a particular parcel or the builder involved in a community.

ok..so my question is what communities offer best value for the money you put in, in terms of HOA or people living there or amenities or actually I don't know.

I am just trying to avoid a scenario where in 6 months down the line I do not want to say, "oh crap I should have bought that one"

I am wondering if you have any suggestions or know of some communities that generally fared well over the years in terms of people/roads/lawns/prices/chickens etc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 12:42 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,562 times
Brambleton has high HOA fees, but includes a lot - community amenities (pools, parks, trails, tennis courts, playgrounds, etc.), FiOS TV (Premier and Extreme HD) and internet (25/25), trash/recycling (including the RecycleBank rewards program), snow removal, beautiful common areas, and a full slate of activities every year. We currently pay $169.01 a month for a SFH (those with a common/private drive are a little more because the HOA maintains the private road, including snow removal).

I have lived for almost 8.5 years and have never regretted buying here. I don't know much about Loudoun Valley Estates, but it seems pretty sprawly (Brambleton will be big in area when it's built out, but most of the core is a pretty tight street grid with small lots). I love being a 10-15 minute walk from the grocery store, restaurants, movie theaters, hair salon, coffee, toy store, gym, doctor, dentist. I also like having sidewalks and street lights; some of the smaller communities near here (like Belle Terra, east of BRR/north of Ryan) don't have sidewalks, or have them only on one side.

Brambleton has a strong community spirit; in addition to "real life" events and interactions, there is an official intranet, an unofficial message board, and several resident-only Facebook groups (selling stuff, giving stuff away, referrals, community-owned businesses, neighborhood watch, etc.) Brambleton was a test community for FiOS, and one of its original slogans was "Connect With Life".

This map (http://www.brambleton.com/about - broken link) will show you what exactly is within Brambleton. The areas to the furthest west and south are not built yet; the area to the far southeast will be the active adult (55+) neighborhood.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:42 PM

92 posts, read 201,740 times
The real question, for people who work in Tyson's Corner, is just how painful is that commute every day? That it costs a lot and that the cost will increase is well known... the cost in daily time and aggravation is less well understood.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:23 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times
I work in Tyson's. Not bad at all. Average time to work from Brambleton is 25-35 mins. Just hop on the toll road and it's a straight shot.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:53 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,562 times
I know several Brambleton residents who take the Tysons Express bus from Broadlands and are very happy with it. $3 each way (with SmarTrip), comfy seats, free wi-fi, and a bathroom.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:55 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I work in Tyson's. Not bad at all. Average time to work from Brambleton is 25-35 mins. Just hop on the toll road and it's a straight shot.
Yep, I second that as well, except for when I get behind sonny while he's reading his blackberry and fixing his hair at the same time he's trying to merge onto the toll road. Then, it's at least 3 hours...

Factor in the toll road costs plus 50% into your budget before you buy, and it works pretty well. In my opinion, it's the cost I had to pay to acquire the lifestyle that we comfortably love.

However, I will give one word of caution about Belmont Ridge road - it is, in my opinion, a very dangerous road to travel on at night, ESPECIALLY in the rain. Painted lines have faded and are all but impossible to see. I do not use it at night. Early mornings are tricky too between Croson and the toll road, due to all the deer that cross it from the reseviour on the other side of the trees. Some of the deer I've seen, I wouldn't want to hit in anything smaller than an 18 wheeler! No way you wouldn't have one through the windshield of a regular vehicle.

Last edited by NC211; 03-20-2012 at 03:17 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 04:31 PM

My co-worker lives in Brambleton, south on Belmont ridge road after the intersection of Ryan road. He tells me it is less than 45mins door-to-door via commuter bus.

I think in this part of the country, that is pretty damn good..I used to spend approx 35-40min on drive from Vienna metro to Tysons last year

Old 03-20-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Yep, I second that as well, except for when I get behind sonny while he's reading his blackberry and fixing his hair at the same time he's trying to merge onto the toll road. Then, it's at least 3 hours...

Factor in the toll road costs plus 50% into your budget before you buy, and it works pretty well. In my opinion, it's the cost I had to pay to acquire the lifestyle that we comfortably love.

However, I will give one word of caution about Belmont Ridge road - it is, in my opinion, a very dangerous road to travel on at night, ESPECIALLY in the rain. Painted lines have faded and are all but impossible to see. I do not use it at night. Early mornings are tricky too between Croson and the toll road, due to all the deer that cross it from the reseviour on the other side of the trees. Some of the deer I've seen, I wouldn't want to hit in anything smaller than an 18 wheeler! No way you wouldn't have one through the windshield of a regular vehicle.

oh..boy

Thanks for the tip..I will keep in mind. I would love to find a house overlooking conservation or lush trees or reservoir itself (I know it is too much to ask for).

It has been my long standing dream to live in a house on a hill (I guess I will have to wait)

But thank you..I remember you bought a house last year. I hope you are enjoying it?

Old 03-20-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Brambleton has high HOA fees, but includes a lot - community amenities (pools, parks, trails, tennis courts, playgrounds, etc.), FiOS TV (Premier and Extreme HD) and internet (25/25), trash/recycling (including the RecycleBank rewards program), snow removal, beautiful common areas, and a full slate of activities every year. We currently pay $169.01 a month for a SFH (those with a common/private drive are a little more because the HOA maintains the private road, including snow removal).

I have lived for almost 8.5 years and have never regretted buying here. I don't know much about Loudoun Valley Estates, but it seems pretty sprawly (Brambleton will be big in area when it's built out, but most of the core is a pretty tight street grid with small lots). I love being a 10-15 minute walk from the grocery store, restaurants, movie theaters, hair salon, coffee, toy store, gym, doctor, dentist. I also like having sidewalks and street lights; some of the smaller communities near here (like Belle Terra, east of BRR/north of Ryan) don't have sidewalks, or have them only on one side.

Brambleton has a strong community spirit; in addition to "real life" events and interactions, there is an official intranet, an unofficial message board, and several resident-only Facebook groups (selling stuff, giving stuff away, referrals, community-owned businesses, neighborhood watch, etc.) Brambleton was a test community for FiOS, and one of its original slogans was "Connect With Life".

This map (http://www.brambleton.com/about - broken link) will show you what exactly is within Brambleton. The areas to the furthest west and south are not built yet; the area to the far southeast will be the active adult (55+) neighborhood.
thanks much for the useful info. I have two kids and I would love for them to be able to walk on sidewalks and play safely outside

Old 03-20-2012, 06:10 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times
The cool thing about brambleton is that I have a great view of the mountains to the west, but you can also see the Reston skyline to the east. Parts of the community is on a hill ( especially the water tower area) so the view is incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia