Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times

Advertisements

Is there anything I can do about it? I caught one this morning pooping on my deck and digging up my flowers to bury it. Their favorite spot as of late is my front porch, under the window, driving my poor dog insane. My yard has become their personal litterbox--it's gross There are at least 3 cats on my little block that roam the neighborhood.

These are not strays, they have collars and bells on, I just can't get close enough to figure out who they belong to. Anyone know fairfax county ordinances on this? Is it legal to let your kitty roam free? Or if I talk to the neighbors with no response, can I start catching them and turning them in? I don't want to be that neighbor, but I'd also like to be able to walk out on my deck without it being covered in cat poop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 12:46 PM

282 posts, read 873,019 times
They are trespassing! Seriously. But you'll have to figure out who the owners are:
Animal Trespass*- Fairfax County, Virginia
And you run the risk of becoming 'that neighbor'.
How about letting your dog out?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:53 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
We throw large buckets of water at them. They tend to give a wider berth afterward.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:07 PM

23 posts, read 62,464 times
As a cat owner and lover, PLEASE do not turn them into a shelter. These are beloved pets, just like your dog. If the cats have taken a liking to your porch, do something to make it unattractive to them. Or squirt them with water. It shouldn't take long for them to figure out they aren't wanted. There are also devices that will spray a puff of air at an animal if it crosses a boundary.

Talk to the neighbors. Someone will know who the cats belong to. Then talk to the owners, who probably have no idea that their cats are a nuisance. For better or worse, you can't tie up a cat (they'll strangle trying to escape), and they can't be trained. The only alternative is to keep the cats indoors, where they will probably be really unhappy if they are used to being outside.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:18 PM

696 posts, read 1,301,245 times
I knew this would be a funny thread to read the moment I read the title !!

Bookmarked.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:42 PM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxcents View Post
Then talk to the owners, who probably have no idea that their cats are a nuisance.
Owners have no idea they are a nuisance? That's ridiculous. These owners are just completely self-asorbed. I have four dogs, and absolutely know if I let them roam into other people's yards, it would be a nuisance to the neighbors. It's not only a nuisance to everyone, it's completely unsafe for the pets. They may be "beloved", but certainly not well cared for.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:50 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
I have an indoor-outdoor cat. It was not something I intended to happen - it just did. I had every intention of him being an indoor cat, but that cat was pretty insistent that he was indeed an outdoor kitty. If you'd like to come to my house at 4 in the morning and politely tell him he is actually an indoor cat, feel free.

We take good care of our cat. I don't have a lot of say in what he does outdoors, obviously. But he is well fed, has all his shots, gets all his flea and tick treatments, and is looked for when I can't find him after a couple hours.

I'd be OK if someone sprayed my cat with water or took some other non-lethal measure to keep him from taking a dump in their yard.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:01 PM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I have an indoor-outdoor cat. It was not something I intended to happen - it just did. I had every intention of him being an indoor cat, but that cat was pretty insistent that he was indeed an outdoor kitty.
Not quite sure I understand. Does he unlock the door and let himself out? Unlikely. A human in the house lets him outside. So, what happens before someone opens up the door? He gets really, really vocal (extremely loud and irritating) and that forces you to let him out? So instead of your irritation, you irritate neighbors by letting him roam the neighborhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I'd be OK if someone sprayed my cat with water or took some other non-lethal measure to keep him from taking a dump in their yard.
Be prepared, as, legally, they have the right to do much more than this. Unfortunately, it's not about what you are ok with; when you've allowed your cat on other people's property.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:29 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,081 times
Hi CaliTerp - we have two cats that are strictly indoor-only. No matter how much they want or think they want to get outside, it's not gonna happen. There are a few feral cats that roam my neighborhood but they are elusive and rarely come around so I don't have the best advice.

However I searched on the cat forum for things relating to your subject, so here goes:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...rid-feral.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...lege-park.html

Might not help all that much but there are a few good suggestions on there. Good luck. It is very frustrating to deal with. Our neighborhood also has this one dog that constantly gets out of the fence and poops in everybody's yard.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:33 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
he escaped one day and was perfectly content outside, so we have been letting him out ever since. Sure, call me selfish for not wanting to be woken up at 4 am - that's fine.

I am within my rights to let my cat outside. He spends much less time outside in this neighborhood than in our old neighborhood. He's also not the only one. From what I can tell he sticks fairly close to our house, and we have told our immediate neighbors about him so that they aren't surprised by our cat jumping over the fence into their yard. When I call for him, he seems to come running from one of 3 yards.

I have had indoor cats since I was young. This one is just different. He was a loud miserable mess until he escaped that day. I worry about him and I know the risks. But I also find it pretty miserable of someone to consider harming what is obviously a pet. There are more humane ways to deal with such things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia