U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM
 
281 posts, read 632,341 times
Reputation: 364

Advertisements

In my travels in Northern VA I just notice something different than typical areas in the Midwest or the South. It's the people. I think the demographic make up of the people make Northern VA the model for America. First, there are an incredible number of highly educated and talented people, likely more than any place in America. But perhaps most important is the incredible ethnic and cultural diversity in Northern VA. It has got to the point that white American born folks are now a minority. Most people are ethnic minorities from all over the world. This makes the area more dynamic and interesting and productive than boring Old American towns like Pittsburgh and Memphis or Little Rock etc.

Do you think that Northern VA is the model for the NEW AMERICA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 PM
 
1,998 posts, read 2,934,174 times
Reputation: 2150
(Y)ou could have done a quick Google search to find out that your assumption is wrong. White people are 55% of Northern Virginia. That's a MAJORITY.

Northern Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-23-2013 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: report post and/or contact a moderator with concerns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 02:56 PM
 
281 posts, read 632,341 times
Reputation: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I'm 90% sure this is a troll post, but anyway, you could have done a quick Google search to find out that your assumption is wrong. White people are 55% of Northern Virginia. That's a MAJORITY.

Northern Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Just because they are white in the census does not mean they did not come from an immigrant background from places like Russia, The Middle East, South America and Eastern Europe. People in Northern VA are not the typical White American Born 6th Generation folks you will see in Omaha.

Here is more information on the demographics of the area. 29% of the people in Fairfax County are foreign born and that does not include the large number of kids who grew up in America but whose parents are foreign born and speak a language other than English at home.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/51/51059.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 02:58 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,223 posts, read 17,966,293 times
Reputation: 14668
The demographics might, but the psychographics sure as hell don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 03:26 PM
 
1,998 posts, read 2,934,174 times
Reputation: 2150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
Just because they are white in the census does not mean they did not come from an immigrant background from places like Russia, The Middle East, South America and Eastern Europe. People in Northern VA are not the typical White American Born 6th Generation folks you will see in Omaha.

Here is more information on the demographics of the area. 29% of the people in Fairfax County are foreign born and that does not include the large number of kids who grew up in America but whose parents are foreign born and speak a language other than English at home.

Fairfax County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
You wrote "most are ethnic minorities from around the world." You're wrong. 55% of Northern Virginia is white, which by definition means they can't be an "ethnic minority," regardless of where in the world they are born.

Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-23-2013 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: report post or contact moderator with concerns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 03:31 PM
 
281 posts, read 632,341 times
Reputation: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
You wrote "most are ethnic minorities from around the world." You're wrong. 55% of Northern Virginia is white, which by definition means they can't be an "ethnic minority," regardless of where in the world they are born.
...
OK from a truely technical definiton of white maybe you are right. But you miss my point. I am saying the ethnic and immigrant experience of the ever increasing number of people who live in Northern VA make it unique. Even though someone who came here from South America may be considered offically white in the census, their lifestyle and culture as a first or second generation immigrant is not the same as someone from Omaha who comes from a family that has been here for 6 generations. That is the difference between Northern VA and the rest of the country.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-23-2013 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: updated previous edited portion of quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 04:56 PM
 
270 posts, read 803,715 times
Reputation: 172
The elementary schools in Fairfax County are already majority-minority already, so the times they are a changin. And yes, this is what the future looks like. On the other hand, DC will probably always have a more highly educated population than most cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 05:17 PM
 
5,071 posts, read 8,642,263 times
Reputation: 2722
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbros View Post
The elementary schools in Fairfax County are already majority-minority already, so the times they are a changin. And yes, this is what the future looks like. On the other hand, DC will probably always have a more highly educated population than most cities.
There are many individual schools within FCPS that are majority white, but in the aggregate the county's elementary, middle and high schools are all majority-minority now (below 50% white).

Old Tired Man has written a Tired Old Post, I think. None of this is a big surprise to anyone who's kept up with the trends in the county and region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 07:12 AM
 
2,462 posts, read 8,057,112 times
Reputation: 995
"Do you think that Northern VA is the model for the NEW AMERICA?"

No. It's an outlier because of its disproportionate number of highly educated and well-compensated residents. The New America, like the Old America, will contain plenty of people who didn't go to college and whose earnings fall below the median.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 AM
 
281 posts, read 632,341 times
Reputation: 364
I think everyone is getting caught up on the definition of who is WHITE vs the HUGE difference in demographics of Northern VA and MOST of America.

Check out the census page at www.census.gov and you will see there are few Metro areas with such a large number of people with a college education as in Northern VA. Also, we have almost a majority of people who are either "people of color," or come from a recent immigrant background. It is a true United Nations here with kids and adults from pretty much every country in the world completely overwhelming the ever decreasing number of white American Born residents. It seems like about half the people I interact with here in Northern VA has an accent and are from countries I have never heard of.

Yes, the demographics of America is changing, but a long cross country drive across America showed that OUTSIDE of the DC and NY areas most of America is still white dominated. Outside of maybe a few big cities like New York and LA, the level of ethnic diversity of the DC area is unique, even in a changing America.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
There are many individual schools within FCPS that are majority white, but in the aggregate the county's elementary, middle and high schools are all majority-minority now (below 50% white).

Old Tired Man has written a Tired Old Post, I think. None of this is a big surprise to anyone who's kept up with the trends in the county and region.

Last edited by Old Tired Man; 01-24-2013 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top