Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:49 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Isn't that the one where you can go with a group of friends and brew your own batch? Using their ingredients. And then you come back when it's done and bottle it and take it home. I haven't tried their beer but know friends who have done that and thought it was fun.
That sounds like Shenandoah Brewing. They've been closed for a long time though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 10:09 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,880,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Dominion is now brewed in Delaware, despite it originally being from VA.
I didn't know that. Strike it from the list.

I think in the future VA will have a good scene. DC is a city that loves good beer and while the area is behindany other states it will grow.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:05 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I think in the future VA will have a good scene. DC is a city that loves good beer and while the area is behindany other states it will grow.
Yeah I'm not too worried about it. We have a few good brewpubs and beer-focused bars, a brewery scene that is growing, and great access to most of the best beers in this country. Good prices too, and no backwards laws restricting who can and can't sell beer like in some states (ahem... PA). The fact that few of the nation's best breweries are based in VA doesn't really concern me.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:38 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Good prices too, and no backwards laws restricting who can and can't sell beer like in some states (ahem... PA).
This is not entirely accurate. The VA laws regarding who can brew and sell are somewhat restrictive. While Sweetwater Tavern can brew their own beer (in Sterling), they cannot sell this beer in the Merrifield location. All beer must be brewed on site. In order to sell it from another site (even within your own restaurant chain), you must first sell it to a distributer who will then sell it back to you for your other site.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah I'm not too worried about it. We have a few good brewpubs and beer-focused bars, a brewery scene that is growing, and great access to most of the best beers in this country. Good prices too, and no backwards laws restricting who can and can't sell beer like in some states (ahem... PA). The fact that few of the nation's best breweries are based in VA doesn't really concern me.
Good beer is pretty national these days. Granted you can't get everything in every state but the BIG companies now often own stakes in micro and craft breweries.

The selection in Moco and DC is much better than WV but even WV has a decent selection. When I was in Texas the selection was kinda poor. I think Southern states tend to not be as good.

There was a time when craft were mainly in the west, especially the PNW and Colorado. Now they are appearing everywhere.

American beer was once known for being awful. These days it is the best in the world.

I look forward to the next 10 years.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:08 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,839 times
The only decent microbrews in WV are from out of state. I'm speaking from personal experience here. Even in college towns like Morgantown, the beer they sell at the Brew Pup (which may be closed these days for all I know) or the new Mountaineer Brewing Company are laughably bad representations of good beer. Much like the wine, the industry in WV has a lot of catching up to do. I remember when they allowed Yuengling in about 5-7 years ago. People thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, but Yuengling is only a small step above budweiser.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
The only decent microbrews in WV are from out of state. I'm speaking from personal experience here. Even in college towns like Morgantown, the beer they sell at the Brew Pup (which may be closed these days for all I know) or the new Mountaineer Brewing Company are laughably bad representations of good beer. Much like the wine, the industry in WV has a lot of catching up to do. I remember when they allowed Yuengling in about 5-7 years ago. People thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, but Yuengling is only a small step above budweiser.
WV has terrible locally made microbrews. I was referring to the microbrews you could buy at beer stores.

Brewpub is good. Nothing great.

Yuengling is not bad for a cheap beer. It is my go to cheapo beer.

VA certainly has more microbrews than WV, but none of them are that great. What is the most successful now, Star Hill? Only so-so.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:58 PM

799 posts, read 1,290,424 times
West Virginia Brewing Company (Morgantown) made very good beer before going belly up. I heard that some of the principles for that venture our involved in Morgantown Brewing Company. I've yet to try it. I was a big fan of WV Brewing. Served it at my wedding reception.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:06 PM

799 posts, read 1,290,424 times
For any other beer geeks out there, a link to a handy map:

Baltimore/Washington DC Beer Map | The Beer Mapping Project

Old 03-18-2013, 07:03 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
For any other beer geeks out there, a link to a handy map:

Baltimore/Washington DC Beer Map | The Beer Mapping Project
This map shows 7 breweries in the NoVa area, and 9 in the MD/Baltimore area.

As for Crying continuing to state that VA can't stack up, these sites would claim otherwise:
United States breweries by state -Learn how to home brew, rate the best beers and share beer recipes with enthusiasts on the Beer Wiki! - shows 10 in MD, 11 in VA

Brewers Association | Find US Brewery - shows 103 in Va, 49 in MD

Beer Me! — The most complete source of brewery information worldwide. - shows MD only contains about 60% as many breweries.

As for just ease of access to beers, I would put Total Wine up against any store I've ever run across in Maryland, and it's basically the size of a kmart (I assume Total Wines just took over Kmart spaces as they closed down over the years). Of course, they both suck when you look at places like the Liquor Barn in Kentucky.

Schooled again Cry. But just like those budgetary numbers on the WV forum, you can choose to just ignore the raw numbers and just repeat your opinions over and over until you believe them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia