Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
North Arlington is not "the middle." It's arguably a part of the core. I would actually put Great Falls as a part of the middle today.

While both relative affordability and cultural selection play important roles in the massive movement toward exurbs and outer suburbs (here and elsewhere), what also plays a strong role is the relocation of work places to those areas. And, in what would undoubtedly hearten another poster here, the importation of "new urbanist" aesthetic and style and even conveniences to the exurbs has made the latter much more attractive to todays Bohemian-Bourgeoisie upper middle class families. If affordability alone were the dominant factor, areas to the south of DC would have seen a lot more growth than the western exurbs/outer suburbs.
OK - we can certainly define the "urban core" more broadly to include close-in suburbs, but I thought your point was that the urban core attracted the single and childless, and not Boho families. North Arlington and other close-in suburbs are attracting plenty of the latter as well, a reflection of the strong job markets in places like DC and Tysons.

Quote:
Sure, of course. But let's be realistic here. No one is chasing the down market Hispanic residents. Everyone -- businesses, tax collectors, etc. -- wants the affluent, well-educated residents. That's just the reality of life. As for Korean merchants, I already noticed that quite a few have relocated to Centreville. It's been a trickle so far, but I suspect the flow will grow stronger in the next several years.
I actually have no sense as to whether Korean businesses in Annandale have moved to Centreville, or whether there are new and different businesses. It does make sense that, over time, more of these businesses would be located closer to where most area Koreans live, but it's not like all the Koreans in the region live in Centreville.

As I mentioned, I'd seen a recent indication that the three-year RE appreciation in Annandale outpaced many other parts of NoVa. There are reasons for this - it may have been harder hit than other areas post-2008, and therefore had more room to go up in recent years as people flocked to the DC area, but the appreciation seems to suggest that its central location remains a strength that compensates to some degree for its lack of obvious Boho amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 07:16 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
A. There are lots of folks in annandale who are neither asians nor hispanics. According to this

Annandale, VA Population - Census 2010 and 2000 Interactive Map, Demographics, Statistics, Quick Facts - CensusViewer

as of 2010 Annandale was 50% white. That includes a significant and growing population of middle easterners.

B. For folks who like to drive, Mosaic now gives Annandale relatively good proximity to some 'hip" businesses.

C. The schools are still FCPS - for those to whom the resources of the school district are more important than the statistics of the student body, that's still an advantage - especially over the district, and PG county, and perhaps for some over City of Alex and PWC.

D. I do not have figures on beltway congestion since the HOT lanes opened, but my sense is that the improved alternatives for access to Tysons have helped Annandale. Perhaps more the areas close to Braddock, which has a HOT lane access ramp.

E. Annandale is particularly convenient for folks commuting to parts of Alexandria and Arlington where parking is relatively easy/cheap - there its inside the beltway location is not offset by its disadvantages of transit access to DC (which is doable, but not as good as metrorail)

F. There is a hardy contingent of lycra clad cyclists in the area. Not a lot, but given the stereotypes, you wouldnt expect any, would you?

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 03-28-2013 at 07:27 AM..

Old 03-28-2013, 07:22 AM

136 posts, read 222,805 times
Quote:
Why play it down? You can read the Pew Survey -- the numbers are what they are. By and large, they have thrived here in this country, outpacing native whites by many metrices. That goes for double here in NoVA which has fewer "fresh-off-the-boat" types and more doctor, lawyer, engineer types. Of course, no one is suggesting they are ALL like that, but by all statistical measure our area has attracted a fairly accomplished lot.
At face value, being a part of the model minority group would seem like a great compliment. But I'm concerned about equality in the sense of equal expectations and opportunities. It seems like you've studied this issue so I'm sure you're familiar with the Jewish experience in the Ivy League in the early part of the 20th century. Basically, they were seen as the model minority and there was a quota to limit the number of Jews that could enter the Ivy League for fear that the schools would be swamped with them.

I see some parallels with Asian Americans now. I think it's harder for an Asian American student to get into an Ivy League (or parallel such as Stanford or MIT) school than for students of other ethnic backgrounds. Asian students need higher SAT scores and GPAs than other students. I'm not saying there is a quota system in place, but it appears that if you're Asian, higher expectations are placed on you. It's assumed that your parents sacrificed everything for your education and that even if you didn't get into a certain school, you won't suffer because your parents are wealthy enough to take care of you. Put simply, I think you have to meet higher expectations in order to gain the same rewards.

The data will also show that Asians have a high median income. But what's less apparent is the fact that Asians also have higher educational backgrounds. If educational background is controlled, Asians have a lower income than would be expected. Again, higher expectations for the same reward.

I just think that everyone should be evaluated on their individual merits and the model minority perception hurts Asians in that regard.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
A. There are lots of folks in annandale who are neither asians nor hispanics. According to this

Annandale, VA Population - Census 2010 and 2000 Interactive Map, Demographics, Statistics, Quick Facts - CensusViewer

as of 2010 Annandale was 50% white. That includes a significant and growing population of middle easterners.

B. For folks who like to drive, Mosaic now gives Annandale relatively good proximity to some 'hip" businesses.

C. The schools are still FCPS - for those to whom the resources of the school district are more important than the statistics of the student body, that's still an advantage - especially over the district, and PG county, and perhaps for some over City of Alex and PWC.

D. I do not have figures on beltway congestion since the HOT lanes opened, but my sense is that the improved alternatives for access to Tysons have helped Annandale. Perhaps more the areas close to Braddock, which has a HOT lane access ramp.

E. Annandale is particularly convenient for folks commuting to parts of Alexandria and Arlington where parking is relatively easy/cheap - there its inside the beltway location is not offset by its disadvantages of transit access to DC (which is doable, but not as good as metrorail)

F. There is a hardy contingent of lycra clad cyclists in the area. Not a lot, but given the stereotypes, you wouldnt expect any, would you?
I think you're kind of pointing out the reasons why people (and on this topic, Asians or Koreans) aren't as attracted to Annandale. Your points for what makes Annandale attractive seem to say, "Hey, we're pretty close to places where you actually want to be!" So it's basically conceding that people would rather be in the Mosaic area, Tysons, Alexandria, or Arlington.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:42 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Merrifield View Post
I think you're kind of pointing out the reasons why people (and on this topic, Asians or Koreans) aren't as attracted to Annandale. Your points for what makes Annandale attractive seem to say, "Hey, we're pretty close to places where you actually want to be!" So it's basically conceding that people would rather be in the Mosaic area, Tysons, Alexandria, or Arlington.

Annandale isn't a huge employment center. Its well located between several other employment centers. Thats its niche, such as it is. For folks for whom accessing things by car is part of their lifestyle, but want SHORT trips by car, its really fairly well located.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 AM

274 posts, read 704,817 times
Just didn't have enough time to follow all the postings here, but as a Korean-American, this is an interesting thread to me. Still as a newbie to this area, Annandale feels very much like Koreatown in LA. Yes, everything looks kind of "run-down" except for a few Korean businesses decorating to attract people. But there are a ton of great Korean restaurants (I would say better than restaurants in Korea!) and Korean shops. And, funny enough, Koreans don't necessarily live there.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:29 PM

258 posts, read 533,506 times
On a tangent, I grew up in Annandale in the 80's.

It was probably 90% upper middle class white. There were hardly any asians.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:51 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Annandale hits me JUST right....love all the Korean businesses everywhere.

My only concern with the area is IF the Korean businesses did actually leave and went towards Centreville instead...but as long as all the Korean stuff is there, it's a desireable area to me. It might actually be one of my most preferred areas of the NOVA region. Still within the Beltway as well.

My only concern would be if the Korean businesses did actually leave...I wonder if there is any movement to label the area a 'KoreaTown' area, which might retain it more.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
My only concern would be if the Korean businesses did actually leave...I wonder if there is any movement to label the area a 'KoreaTown' area, which might retain it more.
Interesting idea. Like DC's Chinatown, which actually has few Chinese residents. Korean merchants would commute every day from Centreville to cater to the tourists flocking to Annandale for a Korean shopping and dining experience.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Interesting idea. Like DC's Chinatown, which actually has few Chinese residents. Korean merchants would commute every day from Centreville to cater to the tourists flocking to Annandale for a Korean shopping and dining experience.
I think there actually was such a movement a while ago, but it was turned down. I'm not sure if you're kidding (it's hard to tell on boards sometimes), but I don't think Annandale would ever become a tourist destination. Chinatowns (including DC's) are generally located in the city near other tourist attractions whereas Annandale is located near . . . well, I'm not sure, but it's not close to other tourist attractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia