Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:22 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,524 times

Advertisements

growing up, i remember how nice this area was. now its simply clogged with traffic. im amazed how friends in PA and in san diego complain about traffic. when i went there and saw their issues, i simply laughed and told them that was nothing.

traffic and the bad drivers are the things that i dislike about this area, though peoples attitude is also way up there.

how about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 04:47 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
People who complain and don't realize how nice it is here.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:13 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,488 times
Expanding on CAVA1990's post... People who move here from elsewhere and complain incessantly about how [blank] (fill in: pizza, bagels, Mexican food, weather, traffic, bookstores, vehicle registration) is so horrible and inferior to [blank] back home. Chain fast casual restaurants notwithstanding, many areas of the United States *are* culturally different (see: history of settlement, immigration patterns, proximity of other nations, states' rights, etc.) and to think that the DC Metro area is some sort of catch-all or blank slate just because it's the nation's capital region is naive and bound to disappoint. Especially since we do have so many things you couldn't get "back home" and, thanks to regionally-based stores like Wegmans and Harris Teeter, many people can find some of their favorite home items here (Cheerwine! Tomato pie! The Daily News! Irish bacon!) and you'd have a hard time finding them if you relocated somewhere else.

I moved here long ago from a small southern town where the produce manager at the local grocery store didn't know what an avocado was. Instead of complaining about how I can't get decent sweet tea here, I'd rather have a delicious Thai iced tea and make my own sweet tea at home. (Or shh, get it at McDonalds, just don't tell my mama.). Most of the things I care about are much better here than where I came from. That's why I'm still here after 21 years and I'll never ever move back.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:10 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times
I think NOVA has a lot of pros and cons just like every other place. I don't prefer it here, but I don't absolutely hate it. I think if I didn't have a crummy commute every day....it would make a difference. So, my gripe is too many people doing everything else in their cars except focusing on driving. It drives me bonkers! Stoplights and slow traffic is taken as an opportunity to text or do whatever it is people are doing on their phones in their cars. Traffic will always be congested because of lack of planning....but people could help a little with actually driving instead of looking at their phones.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:24 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
I just hate that we can't go anyplace without a million other people wanting to be there at the same time. It's not the traffic, it's the crowds everywhere that make everything less fun. I dread the day when my child will be in school and we won't be able to take advantage of the quiet times before school gets out.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:34 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,329,220 times
Ashburn upsets me the most. They have roads that are 4 lane, then suddenly 2 lane in disorderly way. There also seems to be roads that just suddenly die, some neighborhoods that were developed 10 years ago that look run down.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:50 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Traffic and cost of housing. Otherwise it ain't a bad place to be.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:54 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,753 times
Bad driving habits make traffic a lot worse than it should be. Unfortunately nobody cares to do anything about it.

Bland cookie cutter style homes.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:06 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
traffic, weather, work hours, grade a douche bags

other than that its a nice place

Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,912 times
Mainly just traffic. Housing cost can be tough but I think it's fairly relative e.g. I'll make alot more money in this area in my career than elsewhere thanks to the great job market to offset it. And if I'm still here in 30 years with my house paid off I'll have a hell of alot more assets on my personal balance sheet than if I lived in a small town my whole life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia