Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:40 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,319,029 times

Advertisements

Haymarket is 40 minutes from Tysons? Only if you leave at 4:30 am (and I'm not joking).

You would have to beat the crush of Gainsville/Bristow that hit I-66 around 5:30am in order to make it to Tysons in 40 minutes. That would mean you average about 60mph on I-66.

If you dont leave at 4:30 that is easily a 70-80 minute drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 07:44 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I'd think Fairfax City/Mantua is better for a commute to Tysons and Children's than Burke. 29 to Gallows to wherever beats 236 to the Beltway to wherever IMHO.

Are you OK with Annandale HS?

Definitely, but not sure it is as affordable, though it might be. I really like Fairfax City.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:46 AM

540 posts, read 791,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Chantilly might be too far -- not a bad place, just a bit far.

I'd be looking at Fairfax City and the areas N/E of there, or the parts of Falls Church south of Falls Church City proper that zone to Marshall HS.
I agree, why go further than you have to? If you want easy access to Tysons and DC via 66 (or Chain Bridge, actually) and can swing upwards of $600k, stay in the Vienna/Falls Church (north of 29) area. Some sellers are shooting for the moon right now because inventory is tight, but something like this could come down near your range: 2532 REMINGTON St, FALLS CHURCH, VA 22046 | MLS# FX8071840 | Redfin

Old 05-07-2013, 08:15 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,924,156 times
Your biggest constraint is the 30 minute commute. If you can increase that to 45, that opens up more possibilities.

Burke is a good choice, but the 30 minutes thing would be iffy, depending upon exactly where in Tyson's the job is, and your working hours. Annandale (Woodson HS) would be better. You would get more for your money in the Annandale HS portion of Annandale, but the school draws more a more diverse community and its test scores are considerably lower than Woodson.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 AM

15 posts, read 50,010 times
I dont have much idea of that area overall. Catching up..
For schools etc, I looked at the recent US News and World rankings. The Lake Braddock HS (Burke) is ranked high. Annandale HS is also up there. Offcourse all of these need to be taken with a pinch of salt but that is what i can begin with in terms of comparison.
I will check Fairfax City, Reston.
I also see the new Dulles Corridor Metrorail. How does that impact commute? Which areas will that make accessible? There is a Tysons Corner stop on it.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:44 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,093,185 times
Another possibility is to look in the section of Falls Church/22046 in Fairfax County zoned for Timber Lane ES/Longfellow MS/McLean HS. This area may be less expensive than McLean, Falls Church/22043, or the parts of Falls Church/22046 that comprise Falls Church City, because Timber Lane ES draws from a more diverse area than some of the surrounding schools. On the other hand, it feeds into Longfellow MS and McLean HS, which are very good schools (each around 40% minority), and is close to Tysons.

If you do look further from Tysons, I don't think you'd have a problem finding a house in Annandale/22003 - either the areas zoned for Frost MS/Woodson HS or the areas zoned for other schools (Annandale, Falls Church or Stuart HS).

Old 05-07-2013, 08:46 AM

15 posts, read 50,010 times
I realize that Tysons Corner is still making it difficult for folks in terms of recommendations. The job is in Capital One, the headquarters ie Capital One drive. Hope that makes recommendations easier.
Great feedback so far! Thx already!..

Old 05-07-2013, 09:22 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,319,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathakss View Post
I realize that Tysons Corner is still making it difficult for folks in terms of recommendations. The job is in Capital One, the headquarters ie Capital One drive. Hope that makes recommendations easier.
Great feedback so far! Thx already!..
Anywhere along the silver line corridor would be the easiest for commute with the metro (which will stop literally in front of Capital One). But burke would also be doable because of the HOT lanes (toll road) and bus service. You will get more in Burke than you will along the silver line unless you head out past Herndon to the Sterling/Ashburn region.

That swath all meets your needs. To the person who said burke might be pushing the commute. My father does it every day, uses 495. As long as you leave around 6:50 or earlier you are fine in 20-25minutes. If you have to leave during the 7 oclock hour, just use the toll road, its all of 2-3 bucks from Burke.

Now, that being said, Burke is a big area. Braddock Road may become your biggest constraint, so try to find something near South Hampton area. Annandale near Ravensworth would also be a good area to look into, not Annandale closer to Little River Turnpike

Just depends on your needs and wants

Silver line area is also likely to be newer construction than 495 corridor, if age of construction is of importance to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia