Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 12:02 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,306,360 times

Advertisements

hi,
interested in learning more about what's involved with becoming a police officer in northern VA.

- how long does it take to become one?
- what schooling is needed? (will a masters degree in engineering help or not matter in any way?)
- what's typically the starting pay?
- is there an advantage or disadvantage to being in your early 30s to start pursuing this?
- what's typically the hours for someone who's starting out?

any other info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 01:22 PM

687 posts, read 1,379,313 times
Because governments are cutting spending and the supply of candidates is so great it is basically impossible to get hired in the current environment without military experience. Almost everyone apply for these jobs is a veteran. Spanish fluency is also highly desirable. A masters degree will hurt you because they will feel that you are overqualified and will want to move on to something better. The easiest way to get a job in law enforcement is to get hired by a large urban department like Baltimore which has high turnover because of low moral. Or go to a tiny department were pay is really low.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:56 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,263,651 times
OP.

I disagree with Fundman. I'm retired after 30 years as a LEO in NOVA. I just saw on Facebook where PWCPD is hiring. Maybe one third of the hires at PWC are veterans but of course we have Quantico. When I retired we were seeing the command staff backing away from hiring some vets for a variety of reasons. Your age is not an issue as long as you are in good shape. We've had plenty of people start in the 30's after coming from another career. Your age could actually go in your favor for life experiences and maturity. Your Masters degree may help but this is one thing Fundman may be correct on. Will you leave for better and higher paying jobs after a while?
You will undoubtably work and evening or midnight shift to start with. Very few rookies can score the day shift when they start out. The pay is around $50 thou give or take but you can Google that for more accurate numbers.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:01 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,336,845 times
I like that show The First 48? How do you become a detective like them?

Old 03-08-2014, 10:05 PM

20 posts, read 24,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
hi,
interested in learning more about what's involved with becoming a police officer in northern VA.

- how long does it take to become one?
- what schooling is needed? (will a masters degree in engineering help or not matter in any way?)
- what's typically the starting pay?
- is there an advantage or disadvantage to being in your early 30s to start pursuing this?
- what's typically the hours for someone who's starting out?

any other info would be appreciated.
If your username is accurate, I'd say you'd be immediately precluded from their consideration! It sounds like you're a bright and motivated person, don't throw away your potential and lower yourself because it might be a quick (temporary) raise.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderPrice View Post
If your username is accurate, I'd say you'd be immediately precluded from their consideration! It sounds like you're a bright and motivated person, don't throw away your potential and lower yourself because it might be a quick (temporary) raise.
Thanks for the insult. Guess my 30 years was a waste of time? My LE career parlayed into a well paying job that couples well with my retirement. I saw and did things in my career that few people ever get to see. Most of the officers on my large department had 4 year degrees with numerous having even more. Quite a few are military vets with a number of them going the 20 years before becoming a LEO. Guess all of them wasted their time as well?

Old 03-09-2014, 05:21 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,683,268 times
My friend's son got accepted last year and is now an officer. He had a college degree (English), had worked for FEDEX and then was a teacher in Prince William County schools and decided that was definitely not for him. He had tried to apply before (to FFX County but they didn't take him for whatever reason). Prince William did. I don't know if it helped that he was already a county employee with the school system or not. He had no prior military experience.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
My friend's son got accepted last year and is now an officer. He had a college degree (English), had worked for FEDEX and then was a teacher in Prince William County schools and decided that was definitely not for him. He had tried to apply before (to FFX County but they didn't take him for whatever reason). Prince William did. I don't know if it helped that he was already a county employee with the school system or not. He had no prior military experience.
The jobs some of the officers did before coming to PWC always amazed me. Besides some fairly high ranking retired military officers (One Lt. Colonel) I saw one that was in the financial field and paid very well. One owned a const company and one was a school teacher. (Not your friend's son as this was several years)

Old 03-09-2014, 01:50 PM

5 posts, read 9,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderPrice View Post

I have to say I don't really post on here but I"m a frequent lurker. This post drew me out as I work with several retired police officers on a daily basis (3 of them from PWC) and I can say without hesitation they are highly intelligent and that I feel privileged to work with them.

I'm not sure why some people feel LEO's as a whole are not smart - from my perspective this is certainly not the case. Also, if you think the OP would be "lowering himself" by serving in a job where he keeps people safe and upholds our laws, well, that speaks for itself.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:51 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,866,598 times
Because the police forces don't want independent thinkers - they want people who will, without question, follow orders and uphold our unjust laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia