Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 03:41 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
IMO Tysons Corner is urban in the way that much of, say, Houston and Los Angeles are urban: that is, high density without the walkability. Given that the proximity to the myriad of office parks and retail, and now the Silver Line as well, I don't think the premium rates at Tysons would be worth it for the OP since he may likely be driving.

I co-sign with the Reston Town Center and Fair Oaks suggestions, favoring RTC. I don't know enough about the Mosaic District to comment.
You can say that again!

I had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the newer parts of Tysons must be more pedestrian-friendly than the older parts I'm familiar with.

I think the reason some people don't consider Mosaic to be truly urban is that it's so small. I like the place--in big part because of its free parking. It does seem urban in that it has tall buildings, and some of them are residential. But Mosaic is an island next to a couple of highways. I'm not saying it's not a nice place to live or that it shouldn't be on Rocketman's short list; I think it should be. But to equate it to a larger, busier mixed-use area like Clarendon I don't think is accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 04:08 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
You can say that again!

I had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the newer parts of Tysons must be more pedestrian-friendly than the older parts I'm familiar with.

I think the reason some people don't consider Mosaic to be truly urban is that it's so small. I like the place--in big part because of its free parking. It does seem urban in that it has tall buildings, and some of them are residential. But Mosaic is an island next to a couple of highways. I'm not saying it's not a nice place to live or that it shouldn't be on Rocketman's short list; I think it should be. But to equate it to a larger, busier mixed-use area like Clarendon I don't think is accurate.
Who "equated" Mosaic with Clarendon? I didn't see that, just a few suggestions that it offered some urbanity and walkability (currently, within its confines and, eventually, along the longer stretch of Gallows Road up to the Dunn Loring Metro) at a lower price point than Arlington. If someone working in Chantilly looks to rent in Arlington, they'll be competing with more high-salaried young professionals working in DC, so it does tend to bring into focus how important the street life along the Orange Line corridor may be to one's sense of well-being, compared to potentially saving more money by living in a place like Mosaic or RTC. But, no doubt, they are different experiences.

And what does it mean to be "truly urban"? Does that have specific attributes (residential population density, building height, WalkScore, etc.)? Sometimes I think it's just a club that people from Arlington and Alexandria have decided no part of Fairfax can be allowed to join, even though it's the most populous jurisdiction in the region.

Last edited by JD984; 09-18-2014 at 04:46 PM..

Old 09-18-2014, 05:57 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Well, OK, I guess no one equated Mosaic to Clarendon, so I could've chosen a better word. But it seems there are two schools of thought in this thread: that Mosaic is an exciting mixed-use area and therefore qualifies as urban--and that it's a small, relatively quiet island of mixed use and thus is not urban. ("Urban" really just means "city," so the way we're using it here, it's fraught with subjectivity.)

In the context of the question the OP asked, I took it that by "city living"--I realize now he said this instead of "urban"--he meant he's looking for lots of street activity, even into the night; numerous and varied streetfront businesses; a wide variety of readily available, nearby public transit; and cultural attractions, like ethnic restaurants and movies. Mosaic, from what I can tell in the handful of times I've visited, seems to have some of these but not all (particularly regarding nightlife and transit) and not in as great a degree as he may be desiring. I do think it's an option he should consider, given the proximity to his job and the fact that he would be paying so much less in rent for what is arguably only a little less "urban" a lifestyle.

Some people--not I--would add to the definition that "urban" requires a certain degree of "grit"--by which they mean (as best I can tell) some older buildings; various "characters" on the sidewalks; lots of demonstrations and/or streetside performance art; and cranky working-class residents who have lived there a long time. I think the lack of these things is what leads the hard-core DC types to scoff that nothing in NoVA or Maryland is truly urban--because it's all too new, too corporate, too sanitized. Of course, everyone in NYC and Chicago would laugh that DC considers itself a city. (I don't agree; after all, most of Berlin was built post-1945, and I've heard Geneva and Stockholm are spotless. Yet no one would say those cities aren't urban.)

So it's all in the personal lexicon and ego of the beholder, I guess.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 09-18-2014 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia