Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 03:47 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I would generally agree with you--except that in VA (as you probably know) the interstate has a 55-mph speed limit. Which is laughably unrealistic and routinely ignored. Anyone who tries doing 55 on I-95 risks getting rear-ended. Lately I've been sticking to 65 mph on it, and even then there are people passing me right and left. The state really needs to raise the speed limit on major roads to at least 65.

Move out to where I am. They are all 70. Not that I'm rubbing it in or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 04:15 AM

179 posts, read 298,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I would generally agree with you--except that in VA (as you probably know) the interstate has a 55-mph speed limit. Which is laughably unrealistic and routinely ignored. Anyone who tries doing 55 on I-95 risks getting rear-ended. Lately I've been sticking to 65 mph on it, and even then there are people passing me right and left. The state really needs to raise the speed limit on major roads to at least 65.
Speed limits are set after doing numerous traffic studies, engineering, etc. If things are raised to 65 it will just push people to go 75/80. Relax and slow down. Limits are not arbitrarily set, especially in the dense area of northern VA.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:26 AM

39 posts, read 40,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle4Life View Post
Speed limits are set after doing numerous traffic studies, engineering, etc.
This sounds nice, but in many cases the speed limits are more of an artificial number and no studies are done. I haven't lived in Virginia for a long time - maybe they have the time & resources here to perform the numerous traffic engineering studies & analyses that it would take to post a safe & reasonable speed limit on every road & highway.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:34 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildParrot View Post
This sounds nice, but in many cases the speed limits are more of an artificial number and no studies are done. I haven't lived in Virginia for a long time - maybe they have the time & resources here to perform the numerous traffic engineering studies & analyses that it would take to post a safe & reasonable speed limit on every road & highway.
Do you have evidence of this?

Old 07-28-2016, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 961 times
Hi,

I got called into the office on Sunday to work in Herndon, VA. On my way back home I was caught going 83 in 55 on Dulles Toll Road (won't happen again). I'm a 23 male with a clean driving record since I obtained my license when I was 16. My court date is this Wednesday in Fairfax.

1. Do I need a lawyer?
2. If I do, any recommendations?

Old 07-28-2016, 07:47 AM

39 posts, read 40,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Do you have evidence of this?
Funny, I was going to ask the same thing about the claim of "numerous traffic studies, engineering, etc"

Old 07-28-2016, 10:51 AM

8 posts, read 7,841 times
I was caught driving at 82 on a 70 mph zone. I had my court date last week. I hired a lawyer (paid $500). He told me I do not need to be there. I emailed him the driver transcript record (which I obtained from DMV) which had +5 and the speedometer callibration which came to 79. He was able to get it reduced to a faulty equipment. I had to pay $120 as fine and court fees but no points. Am grateful to everyone on this forum for the information that they provided. Thank you so much

Old 08-18-2016, 03:02 AM

3 posts, read 3,249 times
Exclamation RD/ Speeding 86/70 in Mecklenburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Move out to where I am. They are all 70. Not that I'm rubbing it in or anything.

I followed the thread for days and nights, and I see you are always there.

My story is nothing special, quite the same stupid thing: on I-85, Mecklenbury, trying to pass a line of big trucks, then being pulled over by a cop, receiving a yellow-papered ticket, Reckless Driving, Speeding 86/70, told to show up on court... How sad and worried I have been for almost a month. But luckily enough I have all you guys here.

My problem is that, I am an international student here in NC, a 35-year-old PHD candidate, have exactly clean record both at home (alomst ten years driving) and here in the US. I know how foolish I was that day...

My family are just planning to see me this fall. So now I'm really worried that such a conviction could leave a criminal record in my visa so that my family couldn't get their visa to the US. If so, really disaster... God knows how much we dream to see each other.

I have talked with some local attorneys. Keep two in contact. One seems to be really confident, telling me that he is sure to reduce it to a non-moving or even dismiss it, no point. But continuance will be applied first. He asked me to finish online driving course (8 hours) and get the certificate of accomplishment. Then gain my driving record in both my homeland and here in NC. By the way, his fee is much higher. He will be on the court to represent me.

Another attorney seems to be more humble and practical. He told me he deals with couple of local RD cases there every week, and there is no possibility to dismiss it. The possible outcome might be reducing to a speeding ticket, 3 points. But the only thing he asked me to do is to get a driving record from DMV. No online courses, no other documents, no need to appear on court. His fee is much lower.

But I have seen that many of guys here have taken online courses before the hearing date. I am confused by this. What should I do ? Please help me out. Thanks! Thanks!

Last edited by Joyce1010; 08-18-2016 at 03:11 AM..

Old 08-18-2016, 04:08 AM

179 posts, read 298,931 times
Nice sob story. That whole post can be summarized in 2 sentences:

I was speeding.

How do I get out of it?

Just like everyone else here.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:12 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce1010 View Post
I followed the thread for days and nights, and I see you are always there.

My story is nothing special, quite the same stupid thing: on I-85, Mecklenbury, trying to pass a line of big trucks, then being pulled over by a cop, receiving a yellow-papered ticket, Reckless Driving, Speeding 86/70, told to show up on court... How sad and worried I have been for almost a month. But luckily enough I have all you guys here.

My problem is that, I am an international student here in NC, a 35-year-old PHD candidate, have exactly clean record both at home (alomst ten years driving) and here in the US. I know how foolish I was that day...

My family are just planning to see me this fall. So now I'm really worried that such a conviction could leave a criminal record in my visa so that my family couldn't get their visa to the US. If so, really disaster... God knows how much we dream to see each other.

I have talked with some local attorneys. Keep two in contact. One seems to be really confident, telling me that he is sure to reduce it to a non-moving or even dismiss it, no point. But continuance will be applied first. He asked me to finish online driving course (8 hours) and get the certificate of accomplishment. Then gain my driving record in both my homeland and here in NC. By the way, his fee is much higher. He will be on the court to represent me.

Another attorney seems to be more humble and practical. He told me he deals with couple of local RD cases there every week, and there is no possibility to dismiss it. The possible outcome might be reducing to a speeding ticket, 3 points. But the only thing he asked me to do is to get a driving record from DMV. No online courses, no other documents, no need to appear on court. His fee is much lower.

But I have seen that many of guys here have taken online courses before the hearing date. I am confused by this. What should I do ? Please help me out. Thanks! Thanks!
I am not Bigfoot but my son is going through this now. Same thing, same situation. He has hired an attorney, one that is a bit more expensive then others but he likes him the best so that's who is was comfortable with. The attorney will represent him in court. My son does not have to go, but the attorney thought it best for him to show up. This attorney has not promised anything and certainly not a dismissal, but he does feel that he can get the reckless reduced to a moving violation (regular speeding ticket).

His attorney did not recommend the driver course and said to wait to do it as it will most likely be part of his 'punishment.' If you do it ahead of time, they have to find a punishment for you besides that. My son was told he might have to do community service of some sort also so be prepared for that. But that's just in the area where he got is ticket so the attorney knows what this particular judge might do.

My son also talked to other attorneys who were cheaper. You use the word "humble", he would tell you that they seemed bored and disinterested. I'm sure it's any everyday thing for them but my son didn't care for that attitude.

Last edited by ChristineVA; 08-18-2016 at 05:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia