Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 07:08 AM

38 posts, read 48,198 times

Advertisements

I work in fairfax but live in Alexandria. I live right off of Duke street, and instead of taking 495, I've been taking the back roads. The place I work is on Lee Highway...by Nutley. I have been Going through Annandale Road and Columbia Pile and Gallows. It's smooth sailing until I turn into Gallows and Annandale Road. Does anyone know another alternative way that's faster? Or can one only hope?
It gets bad because I have to take the exit to get to Lee highway and that's where alll the tysons traffic is.

Was wondering if there is another way. I was hoping back roads would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 07:24 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,603 times
The beltway is fastest. You could try going up to 66 west and then Nutley down...or the HOT lanes if you have money to burn.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:39 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
That's a tough route, and any alternate back road route you take is going to be painful since everyone is trying to find the best route as well. Have you tried Waze? I use it (I have a reverse commute to yours) and it's helpful for up to date traffic changes. I take 495 but am going the opposite way that you are, and it's not nearly has bad as what you have to endure as I've witnessed during my commute.

Obviously, the 495 HOT lanes would be the best. I commuted on a motorcycle for three years and used the HOT lanes for free. Not many people know that motorcycles are free for HOT lanes. I don't know if that's an option for you, but if I were in your shoes that's what I would do. They didn't save me much time in my commute (due to a stop light at Leesburg Pike rather than an off ramp and the fact that I couldn't flow much faster than normal traffic on 495 unless there was an accident), but for you it would be a significant advantage due to the congestion on 495 during your commute.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:22 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
I think anything other than your current route or 395 S from Duke, to 495 to Merrifield is going to be more circuitous and take longer. I used to use Lincolnia, Columbia Pike, Sleepy Hollow, Kerns Rd to get to Falls Church at 50 and Annandale Rd, and it would be possible to modify that some to take Graham Rd to 29, but like I said, quite a round-about way of doing things.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:38 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discreetthinker View Post
I work in fairfax but live in Alexandria. I live right off of Duke street, and instead of taking 495, I've been taking the back roads. The place I work is on Lee Highway...by Nutley. I have been Going through Annandale Road and Columbia Pile and Gallows. It's smooth sailing until I turn into Gallows and Annandale Road. Does anyone know another alternative way that's faster? Or can one only hope?
It gets bad because I have to take the exit to get to Lee highway and that's where alll the tysons traffic is.

Little River Turnpike/Duke Street to Prosperity Ave to Lee Hwy to Nutley

Old 04-20-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Little River Turnpike/Duke Street to Prosperity Ave to Lee Hwy to Nutley
I was thinking of trying that. I was hesitant because of the 7 mile drive through all the lights but maybe it's better than what I'm doing?

Old 04-20-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
That's a tough route, and any alternate back road route you take is going to be painful since everyone is trying to find the best route as well. Have you tried Waze? I use it (I have a reverse commute to yours) and it's helpful for up to date traffic changes. I take 495 but am going the opposite way that you are, and it's not nearly has bad as what you have to endure as I've witnessed during my commute.

Obviously, the 495 HOT lanes would be the best. I commuted on a motorcycle for three years and used the HOT lanes for free. Not many people know that motorcycles are free for HOT lanes. I don't know if that's an option for you, but if I were in your shoes that's what I would do. They didn't save me much time in my commute (due to a stop light at Leesburg Pike rather than an off ramp and the fact that I couldn't flow much faster than normal traffic on 495 unless there was an accident), but for you it would be a significant advantage due to the congestion on 495 during your commute.
Thank you! I'll look into the HOT lane thing. I haven't thought of that! I don't have a motorcycle though haha.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:29 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
West on Little River Turnpike.

Right at Pickett Road (across from Woodson High)

Go about 150 degrees around Fairfax Circle. There will be two roads (50 and Lee Hwy) heading east from the circle. Route 50 will at about 90 degrees.

Turn on to the second road heading NE to Nutley Street about two blocks down.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:22 AM

153 posts, read 173,634 times
Quote:

This is the type of commute where the Beltway might be the fastest, but there are lots of different back ways to go if there's a problem on I-495. I think Waze would be particularly beneficial to this commute, since the quickest route (both to and from Fairfax) may differ daily.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:14 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:

Make the same commute. Waze almost always says to use the Beltway. I don't even use Waze in the morning since it's become so repetitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia