Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 AM

14 posts, read 44,219 times

Advertisements

Looking at relocating our family to northern VA. My husband would be flying a lot out of Dulles--so looking at living somewhere on the west side of Dulles. We like the suburbs, but not the crazy busy ones that seem to be on the east of Dulles. We would like to spend no more than about $450k--good schools, nice community for families, conveniences for shopping etc. Are we looking in the right area by checking into Purcellville/Leesburg? Are there other areas that we should be considering? We like the idea that those areas are outside of the crazy busy side of NOVA, but still growing and close to things. Any thoughts? We like to play outside, so a house (even in a neighborhood) with a lot size of 1/3 acre or more would be great. Thanks for your tips, ideas and opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 AM

488 posts, read 1,746,244 times
Leesburg should work for you.
If you are looking for shopping, Dulles Town Center and Leesburg Outlets are all within reach.

It gets busy once you cross 28

Old 02-04-2009, 11:32 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Both would be very good. Plus when you want it's an esy Sat or sun day trip into DC to hit the sites etc...

Purceville is smaller and still has a more rural feel. Small little downtown area etc...

I loved living in Leesburg (even though I didn't really love our neighborhood...too cookie cutter etc...) BUT loved being close to the historic downtown and bike along the WO&D etc...
Leesburg has ALL the big box shopes like Costco, Target etc...and a new Wegmans etc...

Both areas are in Loudoun county school system and we found the schools very good.

When the new HS is built the Purceville kids will more than likly attend there.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:35 AM

is it rolling hills? lots of trees or mainly fields? i can't wait to get out there to start looking!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:43 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
not to many hills in town (lessburg) but just go a bit west on rt7. Purceville is hillier than leesburg.

tons of trees, the catoctin mtns are just north so in the fall...BEAUTIFUL!
lots of farm fileds all around and horse farms etc...

if you want more rural feel...Purceville would probably be perfect since it's smaller etc and still has more farms.

Luckettes just north still has loads of farms and wineries they are fun...(but not the greatest wines!)

use google map to and street view and look around etc...

Old 02-04-2009, 11:43 AM

106 posts, read 490,257 times
Leesburg would be too far! i used to travel ALOT as well....we were living in Sterling, VA. I would really look into it.
Great schools also (dominion High school).

Good luck.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:25 PM

I guess the "crazy busy" I am referring to is all the traffic that I keep hearing about. I know there will be some--we live in Kansas City now-- I am not from a rural area, but I would not like to have to face so much traffic just to pick kids up from school, go to the grocery, etc. I just like a little more space around...I am not naive to think that it is a lot to ask for---I am just looking for the area that seems to be the best fit. So far, it seems like Purcellville is a good match. How far of a drive is it to Dulles from there? Anyone know? Also, are there any other little towns like Purcellville that we should consider? Thanks so much for your input all!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:18 PM

488 posts, read 1,746,244 times
purceville is about 25 miles
there is also hamilton and round hill, another small towns, along rt 7

if you want a short drive to Dulles Airport, stick to Sterling, Centreville, South Riding, Herndon and Ashburn.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:47 PM

179 posts, read 459,412 times
My husband and I looked at Leesburg, Hamilton, Purcellville, and Round Hill pretty extensively in September and October and LOVED those areas. It turned out that we bought a house out in Haymarket (south of Leesburg by a good stretch) but, there were many homes to choose from in your price range. Hamilton and Purcellville, to me, are quintessential small town America; beautiful, scenic, with a mix of charming older homes as well as the newer construction. Leesburg also seemed like a fantastic place to live; we just didn't find the house that was the right fit for us there at the time we were looking. I don't think you can go wrong in any of those communities and suspect that you'll find much if not all of what you're looking for.

Happy hunting; there is a lot to choose from!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:08 PM

989 posts, read 2,854,446 times
Prices really have come down alot, so 450K isn't that unreasonable these days. I know you are looking for Leesburh or Purcellville, but if you wanted to consider Ashburn, there is a house in Ashburn Farm for 435K (LO6964941 on FranklyMLS.com $435,000 21279 IRONGATE WAY, ASHBURN VA in ASHBURN FARM Home For Sale). I personally really like the area. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia