Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 02:01 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Really? I pointed it out that NoVA drivers were generally speaking VERY skilled. Many were using their turn signals, and even on heinous Route 7 as soon as we flipped on our blinker it wouldn't take someone long to leave a large enough break in traffic for someone to let us merge in (perhaps they were just thinking "Uh oh. Those Pennsylvanians don't know how to drive so I better get out of their way?!") LOL!
You're from Pennsylvania, the drivers there pretty much suck (I'm reminded every time I go visit my parents). In Virginia they're slightly more courteous with the blinker, and it increases as you get further south. Many of the bad drivers I've encountered in the area have out-of-state plates (or they're senators).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 02:34 PM

241 posts, read 987,604 times
Quote:
Really? I pointed it out that NoVA drivers were generally speaking VERY skilled. Many were using their turn signals, and even on heinous Route 7 as soon as we flipped on our blinker it wouldn't take someone long to leave a large enough break in traffic for someone to let us merge in (perhaps they were just thinking "Uh oh. Those Pennsylvanians don't know how to drive so I better get out of their way?!") LOL!
Its great that you had a good experience. We usually don't come across such courtesies, especially on the toll road (267) in the morning.... where my husband has to switch from the HOV lane to take the Reston exit.... most people just don't give way despite the blinker and then have the audacity to give us a dirty look while passing by. Are we supposed to fly over them to take the exit or just stay in the right-most lane all the way starting from greenway?

Oh and this morning, my husband spotted a police car when we were on a ramp to get on the greenway and so he slowed down, the lady behind us in a mini-van actually showed him the finger when we finally got onto the greenway .

Old 05-11-2009, 04:02 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
I don't like hearing people on cell phones. Movie theaters, hiking trails, church--these are not good places for chattering loudly on a phone.

Not using a turn signal is rude. And dangerous. Cutting people off in traffic can be very rude, but you get used to it around here, LOL. One good thing I'll say, people don't flip the bird much here. Nor do I see people screaming obscenities as they drive by. So in that way I think driving here is more pleasant than many other cities.

I liked the question about waving. I tend to wave to everyone I see when they pass by, and waving is very common in my neck of the woods. But, I don't think the ones who don't wave are rude, I just figure they have different customs.

The same goes for talking to people while waiting in line. It isn't a matter of being rude or not rude, just people have different ways. I don't tend to talk with people while I'm in line, because I'm often thinking about something. But speaking about lines: cutting in front of people is definitely rude. People who think they have special privileges are rude (most of the time, unless they have a really good excuse).

People who think rules don't apply to them are rude, IMO. For example, smokers who light up in an area posted "non smoking" are rude.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:24 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,867 times
There was one in Barnes & Noble yesterday, Normie - she was clearly having an argument with a customer service rep. about something, and it was very loud. It really set my teeth on edge. Earlier in the week I had to listen to someone else's conversation through my entire lunch. He was a lawyer and it sounded important, but I still didn't want to hear it. This isn't an exclusively NoVA phenomenon, of course, but I think...the big careers people have around here sometimes invite cell phone abuse.

People talk to me a lot in lines lately, because I'm pregnant and that tends to spark conversation. I don't mind and I'm always friendly back, but like Normie I've usually got something on my mind and almost never initiate the discussion.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:35 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
People talk to me a lot in lines lately, because I'm pregnant and that tends to spark conversation. I don't mind and I'm always friendly back, but like Normie I've usually got something on my mind and almost never initiate the discussion.
You mean total strangers are forward enough to ask about your due date, ask to feel your tummy, etc.? How do they know you're not just....ummm..."fluffy?"

Old 05-11-2009, 06:09 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I have experienced some rude behavior: I hold the door open for someone, get no thanks or acknowledgment whatsoever (as if it was Owed them), someone (usually another culture), decides that they can step in front of me in line

I still wouldn't say this area is "rude" as I've stated to many others - such things would and probably do happen everywhere across the U.S.

I agree about the cellphone users though - 99.9% of them can't drive well w/one hand and phone up to an ear, shouldn't walk through stores while shopping and chatting - let alone go through check-out and never acknowledge the person who is HELPING you.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:24 PM

428 posts, read 1,115,306 times
Quote:
You mean total strangers are forward enough to ask about your due date, ask to feel your tummy, etc.? How do they know you're not just....ummm..."fluffy?"
Total strangers are indeed that forward and then some. Last time I was pregnant, someone asked me if the baby was planned! Um, yes, but that's none of your business. I also had people ask my due date, then make kinda horrified faces when I told them I had a couple more months to go (and I wasn't that big!); ask the gender, then tell me I was crazy for not finding out prior to the birth; and yes, total strangers sometimes felt my tummy. They did not always ask first. Weird, weird stuff.

This isn't unique to the DC area, though. It's just unique to being pregnant. It's like once you're expecting, some people think you're a sideshow attraction or something.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:46 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
- Cutting people off. (Got cut off last night at the Springfield mixing bowl by an idiot MD driver.)
- Suddenly speaking another language when someone approaches.
- NOT using turn signals (and illegal to boot.)
- Talking on a phone while getting customer service.
- Keeping your phone on ring while in church.
- Coming to a counter asking if someone speaks spanish.
- Using an elevator to go two floors.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:49 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Samara - nothing you described is rude.

Rude is when a little 5 yr. old says Hi! and you just ignore him.
Rude is when someone holds the door open for you and you pass through without a word.
Rude is when your child has given a gift at a party and no Thank You note is mailed.
Rude is when the check out person does not thank you for your business.
Rude is when the salesperson keeps talking to their friend as you stand there waiting for help.

Last edited by Nancy in Nokomis; 05-11-2009 at 07:39 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 07:09 PM

385 posts, read 1,260,988 times
changing your toddler's clothes at the poolside, even though restroom is 20 feet away.

checkers engaging in a conversation with someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia