Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 19,718 times

Advertisements

If you are considering moving to, stopping in, or just visiting Front Royal Va, please reconsider. I have lived here for about 9 months and I am disappointed with the overall experience and appalled by town services that are paid for by resident taxes.
To begin with, it is not easy to get into Front Royal Va. During certain hours of the day there are extreme delays just to enter or leave FR due to shoddy road conditions, bottlenecks and local authority apathy.

Once in Front Royal beware speed traps that seem to be enthusiastically set up by city, county and state police who all operate in this little burg. Due to the entrance to the Skyline Drive and proximity to Interstate 66 many unsuspecting motorists travel into and through Front Royal. Speed limits go fro 45 to 25 without very clear notice and police are everywhere at all hours.
I have never been ticketed by locals but avoid driving in FR as much as possible.

Recently, I had an attack of kidney stones, and have been staying with a friend. Upon my return, I noticed that a number of items seemed to be missing off my front and back porches. I was not sure - so decided to wait until I had checked my storage and basement before filing a police report. The very next morning after noticing the items missing I went to a flea market in Front Royal and there was a man there who had a table set up with every item on it BELONGED TO ME. I called the police who came - conferred with each other and told me it was my word against the man selling my property. They then ordered me off the property - even after I told them I had pictures of all the items. I was informed that I could sue the man - I have no idea who he is or where he can be found. I suspect the fellow may be kin to the local police - probably on both sides of the family.

Avoid Front Royal Va at all costs. I am in process of leaving just as quickly as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 10:57 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times
stock up on weapons, and if you see the guy on your property, give him a nice warning "If I see you again stealing my property, I'm gonna shoot ya"

Old 07-19-2009, 11:19 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Wow, sorry to hear you're not enjoying your new town. Hope the next one works out better for you. I've been to Front Royal a few times just for the fun of exploring a quaint small town. It seemed nice to me, but sometimes the small towns that appeal to tourists turn out to be a drag to live in. Good luck with your search, maybe a town closer in might be better for you.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
stock up on weapons, and if you see the guy on your property, give him a nice warning "If I see you again stealing my property, I'm gonna shoot ya"
LOL, he's got to stock up for this warning? How many guns does a nice warning entail?

Of course, guns are so noisy. Disturbs the neighborhood if your thief chooses to strike early in the morning. So if you want a quieter route, maybe you can rig your stuff with that blue powder they use for bank robberies. Anyone who dares to touch the garden gnome or the potted plants again will get coated in a cloud of smurf-like blue.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:49 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
I'm considering purchasing a gun myself for defense. After reading in the Washington Post about all of the havoc that occurred last weekend in Leesburg with the robbery, hostage standoff, etc., etc. I really got jarred into reality. I realize that NoVA isn't immune to crime in the fashion that many would lead you to believe. It's also unsettling to have just read about the major gang issues creeping into parts of Reston now! Is no place sacred anymore?! I thought Leesburg was such a quaint small town, and I thought Reston was too "chi-chi" with its $500,000+ price tags on housing to afford the bad element a chance to pour in.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm considering purchasing a gun myself for defense. After reading in the Washington Post about all of the havoc that occurred last weekend in Leesburg with the robbery, hostage standoff, etc., etc. I really got jarred into reality.
Well, a gun is a good thing to own, IMO. Although sometimes guns make tense situations worse. That couple in Leesburg survived the experience because they didn't pull a gun. Instead they dealt with the situation by being calm and keeping their wits about them.

The woman gave the thief a sandwich. They talked with him about who they were, about how life can be a challenge. The man started to feel as though he had broken in on his grandparents, and as the hours passed he began giving them their stuff back. First the sentimental things... and then he just gave them everything.

If that elderly couple had tried to pull a gun on the robber, he might have attacked them and this story could have ended tragically.

Faith, and Friendliness, Helped in Hostage Crisis | LoudounExtra.com | The Washington Post

Old 07-19-2009, 12:06 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Well, a gun is a good thing to own, IMO. Although sometimes guns make tense situations worse. That couple in Leesburg survived the experience because they didn't pull a gun. Instead they dealt with the situaiont by being calm and keeping their wits about them.

The woman made the thief a sandwich. They talked with him about who they were, about how life can be a challenge. The man started to feel as though he had broken in on his grandparents, and as the hours passed he began giving them their stuff back. First the sentimental things... and then he just gave them everything.

If that elderly couple had pulled a gun on the robber, this story probably would have ended tragically.

Faith, and Friendliness, Helped in Hostage Crisis | LoudounExtra.com | The Washington Post (http://loudounextra.washingtonpost.com/news/2009/jul/15/faith-and-friendliness-helped-hostage-crisis/ - broken link)
That couple really warrants my credit for keeping so calm and collective in a situation like that, especially considering they were octogenarians. In the article I read they just spent that night with their son, a doctor, and then were back in their own home the next day, and everything was honky-dory. In that same article another couple who was roughed up in the same neighborhood said they were planning to move away because the wife was traumatized by the events that occurred in their home. They said they felt "violated." As someone who has been a victim of crime myself back in Pennsylvania (and hoping not to be again despite the not-so-rosy recent crime trends for my neighborhood) I can totally relate to their feeling.

I didn't read this other article, so thanks for posting it. I only buy the paper on Sundays. Drats! I wish someone would make ME a sandwich (tummy rumbling!)

P.S. Congratulations on surpassing the 2,000 mark with rep points! I know one of my "Fan Club" members (this saga is never-ending) jabbed you about that, so hopefully now that you have reached that significant milestone people will give you more respect!

Old 07-19-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I know one of my "Fan Club" members (this saga is never-ending) jabbed you about that, so hopefully now that you have reached that significant milestone people will give you more respect!
More respect??? LOL, I already get plenty, if I get much more I wouldn't be fun anymore. People have always given me respect, even when I was new and only had 20 points. Rep points are fun but they really don't mean much except that you've been around for awhile. Some of the folks I respect the most around this forum don't have a lot of rep points--but they sure have intelligent points of VIEW!

Now, getting back to the subject of Front Royal... The OP might be amused to know Front Royal was originally known as Lehewtown--but was more commonly called "Helltown", due to an abundance of alcoholics as well as rowdy mountaineers. So as rough as it seems today, it's cleaned up its act from the way it started out.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
That couple really warrants my credit for keeping so calm and collective in a situation like that, especially considering they were octogenarians.
I don't know what being octogenarians has to do with it... people who are calm and collected usually stay that way at every stage of their life.

But if you want to know another really heroic detail in this story, after a few hours into the standoff the robber offered to let the wife go free. She turned down the offer, said she loved her husband and wanted to stay with him. The police did eventually talk her into leaving. But she was against the idea. That's my idea of bravery, true love, and class.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:49 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whfrzzz View Post

If you are considering moving to, stopping in, or just visiting Front Royal Va, please reconsider. I have lived here for about 9 months and I am disappointed with the overall experience and appalled by town services that are paid for by resident taxes.
To begin with, it is not easy to get into Front Royal Va. During certain hours of the day there are extreme delays just to enter or leave FR due to shoddy road conditions, bottlenecks and local authority apathy.

Once in Front Royal beware speed traps that seem to be enthusiastically set up by city, county and state police who all operate in this little burg. Due to the entrance to the Skyline Drive and proximity to Interstate 66 many unsuspecting motorists travel into and through Front Royal. Speed limits go fro 45 to 25 without very clear notice and police are everywhere at all hours.
I have never been ticketed by locals but avoid driving in FR as much as possible.

Recently, I had an attack of kidney stones, and have been staying with a friend. Upon my return, I noticed that a number of items seemed to be missing off my front and back porches. I was not sure - so decided to wait until I had checked my storage and basement before filing a police report. The very next morning after noticing the items missing I went to a flea market in Front Royal and there was a man there who had a table set up with every item on it BELONGED TO ME. I called the police who came - conferred with each other and told me it was my word against the man selling my property. They then ordered me off the property - even after I told them I had pictures of all the items. I was informed that I could sue the man - I have no idea who he is or where he can be found. I suspect the fellow may be kin to the local police - probably on both sides of the family.

Avoid Front Royal Va at all costs. I am in process of leaving just as quickly as I can.

So, the problem with Front Royal is that the cops strictly enforce speed laws....and if you leave your stuff outside unattended, somebody might take it.

Sounds like a LOT of places to me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia