Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:27 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times

Advertisements

As you know we are moving temporarily to NOVA in 3 wks. When does it begin to get cooler there? Here we don't really have cool weather until November.

The reason I ask is that we are unable to bring 2 seasons worth of clothes with us in our vehicle so I am going to box up our cooler weather clothes and have our 21 yr old ship them to us later. Will we be okay with short sleeves and shorts until mid Sept? I have never lived on the east coast and am not used to cool weather any earlier than Nov.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:44 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
As you know we are moving temporarily to NOVA in 3 wks. When does it begin to get cooler there? Here we don't really have cool weather until November.

The reason I ask is that we are unable to bring 2 seasons worth of clothes with us in our vehicle so I am going to box up our cooler weather clothes and have our 21 yr old ship them to us later. Will we be okay with short sleeves and shorts until mid Sept? I have never lived on the east coast and am not used to cool weather any earlier than Nov.

No problem....it's still Summer in mid-September.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:04 PM

660 posts, read 1,704,676 times
Yeah, it'll still be 80 or so during the day in mid-September. You'll be fine with short sleeves til then, if not longer.

Actually, mid-September is when things actually get pleasant around here. We never get the heat that you're used to in the Southwest, but the humidity can be pretty brutal.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:00 AM

361 posts, read 737,111 times
Just bring light jackets or sweatshirts in case of cool nights.
Warm days and cooler nights into October...

Old 07-26-2009, 12:04 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
Actually, mid-September is when things actually get pleasant around here.
Yup, autumn's my favorite time of year. Perfect temperatures, the humidity goes away, and the fall leaves around here are usually gorgeous. We have this one bush known as a Burning Bush. They turn a brilliant red, by mid October they look like giant cranberries. The trees are pretty vibrant, too, (as you can see below) but it's those bushes that really make me feel autumn's arrived.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:55 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Yup, autumn's my favorite time of year. Perfect temperatures, the humidity goes away, and the fall leaves around here are usually gorgeous. We have this one bush known as a Burning Bush. They turn a brilliant red, by mid October they look like giant cranberries. The trees are pretty vibrant, too, (as you can see below) but it's those bushes that really make me feel autumn's arrived.

Oh Normie, I can hardly wait, I have never seen the leaves change. In Texas where I am from the only kind of trees we had were pecan and mesquite. Here in NM we have mulberry and of course tons of pine trees but they don't really change colors like it does back east.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:30 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I suggest bringing at least a pair of jeans/khaki's, etc. (you can't wear shorts everywhere). Or a skirt maybe? I agree about bring somethings you can layer if it turns chilly (Sept. can bring hurricane "stuff").

Welcome and enjoy

Old 07-26-2009, 04:50 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
(Sept. can bring hurricane "stuff").

Welcome and enjoy
Good point, we haven't had a hurricane brush by in a long time (last one was Isabel). We don't take direct hits from them but it can get breezy for a day or two. To tell the truth, I rather enjoyed Isabel. Didn't do much damage, just blew right through and left me feeling energized.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:09 PM

172 posts, read 563,803 times
So when does it usually start snowing? My 7 yr old can hardly wait for the first snow. We're going to have to buy some winter gear, as this past year we rarely needed our coats, and wore shorts for much of our "winter". I must admit, I'm really looking forward to experiencing actual seasons.

Last edited by Fleur~de~lis; 07-26-2009 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-26-2009, 06:19 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur~de~lis View Post
So when does it usually start snowing? My 7 yr old can hardly wait for the first snow. We're going to have to buy some winter gear, as this past year we rarely needed our coats, and wore shorts for much of our "winter". I must admit, I'm really looking forward to experiencing actual seasons.
Maybe December, but I doubt it. January would be my bet for at least some type of snowfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia