Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:58 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,134,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
As for Asians, we don't have many in Woodbridge, so I just don't know.
Really? Could have fooled me... I think there is a reason that they opened up a Global Foods (Korean owned) in Woodbridge. There are a ton of Asians that shop in there as well as Hispanics, Whites etc. There is also a Filipino Grocery store (owned and operated by Filipinos of course) across the street, it's been there for years in pretty much the same location. The strip mall by the BJs has a chinese restaurant owned/operated by Chinese, video store is Korean owned, Nail shop is Vietnamese and the dry cleaners is Korean. Plenty of Asians and their businesses in the Woodbridge area

Quote:
One of the reasons that teens don't gravitate toward McDonald's is that they can be pretty brutal when it comes to hours worked per week and the times they want you to work. Most high schoolers cannot hack the hours.
When I worked at MickeyDs, about 15yrs ago, they were very flexible on the hours. Highschool kids (under 18) by Federal law can only work a certain amount of hours a day/week. My manager was very flexible when it came to my schedule. At the time, there wasn't even one Spanish person working at that location too. Matter of fact, I was the only Asian person working i, everyone else was black or white.

Interestingly enough, the Subway on Sudley road Manassas is owned and operated by Koreans. They're super efficient and if there is a line, it moves quite quickly. Now if I could only find a decent banh mi sandwich place in the area...

Old 09-26-2009, 05:13 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Really? Could have fooled me... I think there is a reason that they opened up a Global Foods (Korean owned) in Woodbridge. There are a ton of Asians that shop in there as well as Hispanics, Whites etc. There is also a Filipino Grocery store (owned and operated by Filipinos of course) across the street, it's been there for years in pretty much the same location. The strip mall by the BJs has a chinese restaurant owned/operated by Chinese, video store is Korean owned, Nail shop is Vietnamese and the dry cleaners is Korean. Plenty of Asians and their businesses in the Woodbridge area

When I worked at MickeyDs, about 15yrs ago, they were very flexible on the hours. Highschool kids (under 18) by Federal law can only work a certain amount of hours a day/week. My manager was very flexible when it came to my schedule. At the time, there wasn't even one Spanish person working at that location too. Matter of fact, I was the only Asian person working i, everyone else was black or white.

Interestingly enough, the Subway on Sudley road Manassas is owned and operated by Koreans. They're super efficient and if there is a line, it moves quite quickly. Now if I could only find a decent banh mi sandwich place in the area...
Well, I guess I should be better in qualifying my statements. In my opinion, there aren't a lot of Asians in Woodbridge. Not in comparison to when I go into Fairfax County and it's full of Asians. Especially over in the area of Centerville where I go to Dinner Done. The Burger King there was FULL of Asians--dining and working. In Woodbridge, I really only notice them when I go to business establishments that are owned/operated by them. I just hardly *see* the amount that I see in other localities in the NOVA area. My experience in Global Foods in Woodbridge is that on any given day, the clienele in there appears to be mainly Hispanic even though I know it is an Asian grocery store.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:34 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
This thread is wildly disturbing.

Why does any of this matter? Being concerned about or interested in the racial/ethnic makeup of area McDonald's seems quite trivial.

Surely there are more pressing issues/concerns in NoVA.....

Old 09-26-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post

Why does any of this matter? Being concerned about or interested in the racial/ethnic makeup of area McDonald's seems quite trivial.

Well, it is an internet message board and we ponder all sorts of things here. Some things that are really profound and some things just on the more, oh, pondering level I guess? And that's how I took this thread. The OP has noticed a change in the ethnicity of teenagers working in fast foods joints (specifically McDonalds) from when he/she was younger. I don't think it's odd to talk about it. There has been a real shift in who is working in fast foods--not only in ethnicity but in age also. Personally, I think there are less "really young" people working in fast food and more 20-somethings and above.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:06 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:

You can play the game that skin color doesn't matter. As a black man in the DC area, I know better.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Well, it is an internet message board and we ponder all sorts of things here. Some things that are really profound and some things just on the more, oh, pondering level I guess? And that's how I took this thread. The OP has noticed a change in the ethnicity of teenagers working in fast foods joints (specifically McDonalds) from when he/she was younger. I don't think it's odd to talk about it. There has been a real shift in who is working in fast foods--not only in ethnicity but in age also. Personally, I think there are less "really young" people working in fast food and more 20-somethings and above.
This whole back-and-forth regarding which ethnicity works where, is just extremely petty. As if all people of a particular ethnicity fall under the same umbrella.

If anything, what determines who works at a fast-food joint in an area is socio-economics, not ethnicity. NoVA as a whole is rather affluent, no? Perhaps teenagers or young adults of other backgrounds don't have to work at McDonald's -- they might be too busy with school or other obligations, maybe mommy and daddy don't make them work, or their families are well-off enough that they don't need to work, or maybe they just aren't applying for jobs at McDonald's.

It really could be anything. But, who cares? We could 'ponder' this until we're blue in the face, or until somebody goes undercover and finds out 'exactly why there are so many McDonald's workers who are Hispanic'. Me, I'd just rather grab my McDouble and go on with my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
You can play the game that skin color doesn't matter. As a black man in the DC area, I know better.
Do tell. I would be very interested in hearing your experiences.

I don't spend my life trying to live up to or down to a label. I'm not going to act or do things expected of a stereotypical mixed white/latino. I am the person I am, and I let others have their prejudices and prejudgments.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
It really could be anything. But, who cares? We could 'ponder' this until we're blue in the face, or until somebody goes undercover and finds out 'exactly why there are so many McDonald's workers who are Hispanic'. Me, I'd just rather grab my McDouble and go on with my life.

The point is that some people do care and like to talk about various issues. They might not be interesting to you and you may actually find them offensive, but on a board such as this, there's going to be various levels of interest. I mean, I could pick at least 5 topics on the first page of this board that totally bore me and I can't understand why people will go on and on about them, for PAGES. I just wouldn't go on to that thread and try to question why they would even discuss it or find it interesting. Different strokes, you know?

For the record, I don't really think the fast-food issue and teens is really about race as much as, like you said, socio-economics. But I do like a good "hash out" of a topic now and then.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:06 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,685,694 times
I do agree with you that this is more a matter of socio-economics rather than race. It just happens that this area has a lot of lower-income Latinos. It also has a very high number of educated, professional Latinos (and all other backgrounds). So you're right, we should make that clear IF and WHEN we are discussing any such topic, and recognize that is is a sensitive topic, especially if it appears like stereotyping.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
The point is that some people do care and like to talk about various issues. They might not be interesting to you and you may actually find them offensive, but on a board such as this, there's going to be various levels of interest. I mean, I could pick at least 5 topics on the first page of this board that totally bore me and I can't understand why people will go on and on about them, for PAGES. I just wouldn't go on to that thread and try to question why they would even discuss it or find it interesting. Different strokes, you know?

For the record, I don't really think the fast-food issue and teens is really about race as much as, like you said, socio-economics. But I do like a good "hash out" of a topic now and then.
You're right.

I was interested in this topic when I clicked on the thread, dumbfounded as to why somebody would start a thread like this. I am going to discuss it and question it, to try and prove its merit. We are talking about people here, not brands of toilet paper or colors of shoes, people.

Hispanics work at McDonald's in my area as well, should I or somebody else go start a thread on my home forum asking why? The reasons for such should be obvious, or at worst, easily investigable.

I recently lived in an area where there were virtually no Hispanics (or any minorities for that matter) working at fast-food joints. I would have felt like an idiot for starting a thread asking why that was the case.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Is there something wrong with me if I'm not concerned about it?

These are the answers I'm trying to get from this thread.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:41 PM

Admittedly, I think the subject line of this thread is a bit insensitive. As I read on through the post though, I picked up more that the poster was wondering why whites or blacks, specifically teens, no longer worked at McDonalds as they used to. See below statements:

Quote:
I don't get it. Where do all the whites/black kids now work? Or adults of the same colors who would normally work at McDonalds?

Has anyone else been through a drive-thru lately or inside of a McDonalds in the NOVA area and spotted white or black employees?? Just wondering.
To be honest, I too wonder where the "change" has come from with some of the teens. I don't think it's racial. I just don't think it's "cool" to work at McDonalds for teens. It's the last thing they want to do. Doesn't matter what color they are. Most teens around here aren't poor enough to want to take that job. They want to work at Abercrombie, American Eagle, or some such place. I agree that it is an economic issue and, at this time, the Hispanics that are working there are probably the largest population at the bottom of that ladder and, therefore, more willing/needing to take an "uncool" job.

As far as the original poster's observation that he/she felt discriminated against when trying to get a job at a buffet that was dominated by Hispanic workers. He/she probably didn't imagine it. Discrimination goes in all directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia