Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:11 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times

Advertisements

Yep, those darn police sting operations....no one would be "busted" in their "stings" if the cashiers were doing their job and following the law...sounds like an easy fix to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 12:14 PM

239 posts, read 642,317 times
I used to deliver for Malek's in Springfield (great place to work). On just about the busiest night of the year, during the busiest time, ABC sent a 20 yo, disguised as a 30 yo to buy a beer. She served him a bottle of Budweiser, and was promptly arrested. She was an older woman of about 50, and was just devastated. She faced a 2500 Dollar fine. A customer of hers was an attorney, and represented her for free. She still got 100 hours of community service. They didn't seem to care about the 400 illegals that live in those apartments behind there, and the one time in a year that we actually needed a cop, they didn't even come, even though the dispatcher could hear the guy screaming at his GF in the restaurant and making threats.

At first, I was shocked to see the people wearing those T-Shirts that say *&^% The POLICE, on the front. But, incidents like this that make me understand and agree.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:16 PM

239 posts, read 642,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinDogs74 View Post
Totally disagree with you. Cashiers do NOT get paid that much. If they did, I'd work there in a heartbeat! If the cashier did their job correctly and CARDED the person, they should still keep their job. If they give them alcohol without asking for ID, they deserve to be fired. Betcha they won't do THAT again!
There is a registered sex offender working at the Giant in Manassas. Need help getting out to your car? LOL.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:45 PM

257 posts, read 565,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunespinoza View Post
At first, I was shocked to see the people wearing those T-Shirts that say *&^% The POLICE, on the front. But, incidents like this that make me understand and agree.
All I see the FCPD doing in my neighborhood is traffic stops. I don't think I've ever seen one go lights & sirens on a true emergency run.

And then there's MWAA PD who has nothing better to do than write traffic tickets on the toll road.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:58 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,216 times
ehhhh. This is part of the job of being a cashier and if they messed up, they know that being fired is possible. The police record is a bit harsh to me though to be caught in a sting operation. The store should also be punished because it is their responsibility to ensure that their cashier cards everyone. If they enforce there own spot checks, then there would be a reduction of cases like this. I hate to be the meany, but everyone needs a firm punishment for this slip up.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:07 PM

608 posts, read 1,708,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlumpen View Post
I'm sure that others will disagree, but I just find this wrong. Police arrested a grocery cashier for selling beer or wine to a minor. I'm against underage drinking, but now the $15/hour employee will probably get fired and then have a police record. If it doesn't ruin this person's life, at least they will have a hard time finding work in their line of work. It just has to be difficult to keep up with "carding" with the volume that these folks have. The store should be fined instead.

Alcohol Sting/Shoulder Tap*- Fairfax County, Virginia
This is ridiculous.

Drunk driving is bad, but setting ridiculously heavy-handed standards to try to force prohibition on people is not effective at curtailing drunk driving. MADD and a lot of organizations don't seem to grasp this.

This is a draconian law if I ever saw one. It doesn't stop drunk driving. All it does is ruin some low-level clerk's life for making a very minor mistake. All common sense has been taken out of policy these days. A small $50 fine on the employee or a $500 fine on the market would be more than adequate.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:17 PM

608 posts, read 1,708,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinDogs74 View Post
Totally disagree with you. Cashiers do NOT get paid that much. If they did, I'd work there in a heartbeat! If the cashier did their job correctly and CARDED the person, they should still keep their job. If they give them alcohol without asking for ID, they deserve to be fired. Betcha they won't do THAT again!
Yeah ... betcha he won't because he'll probably never be able to land a reasonable job in his life now. And hey ... you never know ... that might help led him down the path to ... oh, I don't know ... maybe alcoholism or drug addiction. Maybe he'll even get on the road one day and kill a few kids while drunk. Great job! Mission accomplished! Draconian legislation at its finest!

Of course, I'm exaggerating here, but I do find the reasoning behind cheering this one to be extremely flawed. I also find it very tasteless that people cheer this on like it's some great drunk driving deterrence mechanism. Yeah ... nothing deters people from driving while drunk like arresting completely unrelated parties for forgetting to card someone attempting to buy alcohol.

When I was 17, you know what I did? I found a friend over 21 and they bought alcohol for me. Notice here how the act of buying alcohol has absolutely nothing to do with the act of driving.

(And btw, I would never drive drunk --- not now and especially not when I was under 21!!!)

I don't have a problem with laws that require carding, but ruining some clerk's life is not the solution to the problems here. Just slap a small $50 fine on him and I guarantee you he won't do it again anyway.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:33 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flrnova View Post
This poor young cashier at Trader Joe's got nailed in one of these Police State operations a year or two ago. Part of his "punishment" was that he had to card everyone; I was rather surprised that he asked me since this normally doesn't happen at TJs. At least he didn't lose his job.

In these stings the police are known to use "freaks of nature" like balding or greying 20 year olds and/or they will sport a heavy beard to make them look older. Thus it is clear entrapment.
You couldn't be any more misinformed if you tried. The underage people the police use ALL look underage. This is what makes it more obvious that the businesses/cashiers are not doing their jobs. Where the heck did you get your info?

Old 10-19-2009, 03:06 PM

318 posts, read 467,344 times
All those holier than thou folks who responded to this thread... Did YOU ever forget to do something at work one day? Maybe the clerk was busy and it slipped his mind! Well guess what, if a minor wants booze he's gonna find a way to get it! A clerk who cards is only going to deter him a bit. Firing the clerk was ridiculous and a gross over reaction.

To those who are busy being their righteous selves, talking about drunk driver stats: that was not the issue at hand here in this thread. Under age purchase of alcohol was the issue. Your kind never misses an opportunity to spout off.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:11 PM

53 posts, read 143,507 times
very harsh punishment for the cashiers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia