Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 05:51 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
On the other hand, there's more guys in jail than girls and there's more guys than girls who do the stereotypical mother's basement thing, so I don't know how to account for that.
LOL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 06:32 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I looked up statistics by zip code of DC, to see where it is most lopsided with more women. Almost entirely on the eastern side of DC.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 PM

18 posts, read 35,567 times
I believe this ratio holds true.

Anecdotally, I know a few women who either left DC bc they couldn't find a guy or "imported" a BF from another city (guy moved to area to be with girl.) On the other hand, I know some great guys who have dated many women, are interested in getting serious, but found many women constantly looking to be "entertained" and or scanning for the BBD (Bigger and Better Deal). Anyone have any experiences to confirm or refute this?

For causes, a few of my colleagues think that the region's offerings of internships and jobs in the non-profit sector (which perhaps are less likely to draw alpha-male types) account for some of the bump in women.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qasim75 View Post
On the other hand, I know some great guys who have dated many women, are interested in getting serious, but found many women constantly looking to be "entertained" and or scanning for the BBD (Bigger and Better Deal). Anyone have any experiences to confirm or refute this?
In my observation, the guys who have this experience create their own problem because they only consider women who fit the trophy wife cliche.

The last time I saw stats on the percentage of men v. women was a decade ago, so I don't know what the balance is these days. It feels like more single men than single women have been moving here lately, but that may just be in my field (bioengineering and medical research).

Old 11-03-2010, 07:23 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I looked up statistics by zip code of DC, to see where it is most lopsided with more women. Almost entirely on the eastern side of DC.
Interesting. How do the stats look for Nova?

Old 11-03-2010, 07:29 AM

617 posts, read 1,355,752 times
Not sure, I dated a bunch of girls in college (more rural area) but wound up marrying the last one, so I've never done the young, single in D.C. thing. I'm not sure it would be much fun though. I work in D.C., and one thing I've observed about the younger women downtown...they have some of the most unapproachable looks on their faces.

Being married, it doesn't mean much to me, but I'll smile at cute women and make eye contact. Usually they've got some sort of grimace on their face, or they're so involved with their IPOD's or Blackberry's that they don't even notice. Rarely ever do they smile back. The country girls I went to college with were a lot warmer.

I guess this is one reason why online dating has become so popular...and let me tell you, that's a whole new variable that's hard to fathom. I mean, I'm only 30, but the idea of just accessing a list of women with pictures, likes, dislikes, etc...was really in its infancy when I went off the market permanantly. I don't even know how I'd operate in that sort of medium, I only remember having to actually approach and talk to people.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:40 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
Not sure, I dated a bunch of girls in college (more rural area) but wound up marrying the last one, so I've never done the young, single in D.C. thing. I'm not sure it would be much fun though. I work in D.C., and one thing I've observed about the younger women downtown...they have some of the most unapproachable looks on their faces.

Being married, it doesn't mean much to me, but I'll smile at cute women and make eye contact. Usually they've got some sort of grimace on their face, or they're so involved with their IPOD's or Blackberry's that they don't even notice. Rarely ever do they smile back. The country girls I went to college with were a lot warmer.

I guess this is one reason why online dating has become so popular...and let me tell you, that's a whole new variable that's hard to fathom. I mean, I'm only 30, but the idea of just accessing a list of women with pictures, likes, dislikes, etc...was really in its infancy when I went off the market permanantly. I don't even know how I'd operate in that sort of medium, I only remember having to actually approach and talk to people.
Well -- problem is if you're a cute woman, you're having dozens if not 100s of guys smiling at you, etc., and you're just trying to get through your life. I guess it can get annoying and old after a while.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:58 AM

461 posts, read 909,333 times
Quote:
Well -- problem is if you're a cute woman, you're having dozens if not 100s of guys smiling at you, etc., and you're just trying to get through your life. I guess it can get annoying and old after a while.
Yeah, it's disgusting. In NOVA if a woman is average or less, she thinks that half the guys exist just to flirt with her, and they're right. No offense but there are so many ugly people out here is the reason. In DC the standards are higher.

Just the same, so many guys are out there just for some action and nothing more. The women easily give them what they want, and then are puzzled why one one wants to marry. This is part of the reason why indigenous Americans are dying off. So few people out there wanting to have lasting relationships.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:02 AM

617 posts, read 1,355,752 times
Quote:
Maybe I should clarify...by cute, I mean I'll pretty much smile at anyone if they appear to have some redeeming quality, but I'm just friendly by nature. However, the IPOD/Blackberry thing doesn't apply to just the cute ones, nor does it apply to just women. It seems like everyone is buried in their own little world here, and I have to believe it's discouraging and makes it harder to meet people. Hence the rise in online dating.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:06 AM

461 posts, read 909,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
Maybe I should clarify...by cute, I mean I'll pretty much smile at anyone if they appear to have some redeeming quality, but I'm just friendly by nature. However, the IPOD/Blackberry thing doesn't apply to just the cute ones, nor does it apply to just women. It seems like everyone is buried in their own little world here, and I have to believe it's discouraging and makes it harder to meet people. Hence the rise in online dating.
Oh yeah. You'll walk out of a meeting and start to talk to someone then realize that you're rudely interrupting a frantic Blackberry type session. People are socially unskilled and often scared of even a phone call, let alone a scary guy talking to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia