Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:04 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I have a jigsaw puzzle that has a map of the US with various iconic symbols for each state. Washington D.C. has the White House. Maryland has a crab. Virginia has a "Virginia is for Lovers" pin. So maybe it has become iconic.
That has me wondering, what other "iconic" choices for Virginia could there have been? A ham? A tobacco leaf? Perhaps George Washington or Mt Vernon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 07:47 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
That has me wondering, what other "iconic" choices for Virginia could there have been? A ham? A tobacco leaf? Perhaps George Washington or Mt Vernon?
Maybe the Pentagon or Dulles Airport? Those are both well known buildings. I'd rather be represented a picture of Great Falls, but not that many people outside the region would recognize it.

I think a slogan can become iconic. After all, the Hollywood Sign started off as nothing more than a billboard for a real estate development. When you get to a point where people across the country recognize it, it becomes iconic no matter how humble the beginnings.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:08 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Virginia ham. Good suggestion!

I've always associated Virginia with horses/horse farms. And it seems like there are many kind people here who volunteer with animal rescue programs. How about do a spin off of "Virginia is for lovers" with Virginia is for:
horse lovers
wine lovers
dog lovers
Mercedes lovers
etc.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:53 AM

Horses! Yes, of course. That was a good answer. I think a lot of people around the country think of horses when they think of VA.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:57 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Virginia ham. Good suggestion!

I've always associated Virginia with horses/horse farms. And it seems like there are many kind people here who volunteer with animal rescue programs. How about do a spin off of "Virginia is for lovers" with Virginia is for:
horse lovers
wine lovers
dog lovers
Mercedes lovers
etc.
Horses usually get associated with Kentucky because of the Derby.

My curiosity drove me to search for images of puzzle maps of the US (I had one as a kid, and my kids had one, but I can't recall the pictures on the states).

Virginia gets (on different puzzles): Monticello, tobacco in south and apples in north, the US Capitol (put up in the corner, with no other picture for Virginia), and a pig. Let's not change to "Virginia is for pigs"! (although "Virginia is for hams" is kind of cute).

And Kentucky has a horse on all the examples I found (with one puzzle having an additional picture of a hillbilly with a pipe!).

Old 04-27-2011, 10:07 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
horse lovers
wine lovers
dog lovers
Mercedes lovers
etc.
That's actually where VIFL came from. The original campaign design was for multiple spots. Virginia is for history lovers. Virginia is for mountain lovers. Virginia is for beach lovers. And so on. The principles at the agency thought it was on the clunky side. They scribbled out all the nouns, and Virginia Is for Lovers was born. The rest is history.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:09 AM

Pigs? Not too many pig farms around here AFAIK, although I guess we do have our share of Capitalist Pigs.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:10 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Pigs? Not too many pig farms around here AFAIK, although I guess we do have our share of Capitalist Pigs.
The worst kind... :-)

Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
That's actually where VIFL came from. The original campaign design was for multiple spots. Virginia is for history lovers. Virginia is for mountain lovers. Virginia is for beach lovers. And so on. The principles at the agency thought it was on the clunky side. They scribbled out all the nouns, and Virginia Is for Lovers was born. The rest is history.
Ah...what a shame that they sacked the best part of the idea. It would be more charming (to me) by keeping the different interests as part of the theme.

"Virginia is for lovers" on its own seems a little bland and tired (not torrid or provocative). 'Cause plenty of people around here are probably NOT engaging in ardent love affairs, judging by the behaviors of some folks.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
'Cause plenty of people around here are probably NOT engaging in ardent love affairs, judging by the behaviors of some folks.
LOL, hey maybe that should be the new campaign. It might solve a few problems if a few people I know here got . Virginia is for Lovers, Y'All, So Get Busy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia