Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:06 PM

509 posts, read 975,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Y
The primary reason we bought a Prius is that we liked it better than the other hybrids that were available at that time ... and the big tax credit didn't hurt! At this point, I like the Prius better than any other car that I've owned over the years.

When the HOV lanes officially morph into HOT lanes, the "hybrid exemption" will be eliminated.
Will hybrids be allowed to travel free in the lanes?
Per Virginia law, hybrid drivers will not travel free in the lanes. Like all drivers, hybrid drivers may choose to pay a toll to access the free-flowing HOT lanes or use the regular lanes for free.
Virginia HOT Lanes

If you use your Prius in a carpool (3 or more occupants) then the HOT lanes are free.
I agree, that tax credit was fantastic! Also, I like my Prius better than any of the other cars I've owned previously - which tended to be sporty looking cars - but not really "sports cars".

I didn't know about how the HOV lane exemption won't be carried over to the HOT lanes, but that kind of makes sense to me. I also know, a lot of non-hybrid owners who drive the HOV lanes don't really like the hybrid exemption. As I said, to me it is a non-issue since I don't drive any roads with HOV lanes on my commute to work. Of course, regarding HOV lane to HOT lane issues - that still leaves roads with HOV lanes such as I-66 - which I've heard they may not really continue to renew the hybrid exemption for it. I think initially the idea was to encourage people in Northern VA to buy hybrids - and now that it has actually worked they may not feel the need to grant the exemption anymore.

Actually, I suppose this is straying off topic, so I don't want to belabor this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
That's interesting--I didn't know that! I'm glad VA is still encouraging carpooling this way.

(LOL, if accelerating to 90 mph really is a problem, it could give a whole new definition to HOT lane...)
It would be more like the death lane, if that happened often...

Old 03-11-2010, 06:29 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,434,396 times
Actually, we could just change one letter from the HOT lane to the WOT lane (wide open throttle). My friend who has a Gen III Prius that's now parked for the time being, was saying that she'd be much more confident if Toyota put a kill switch into the redesign, so that if something untoward were to happen, there's an emergency procedure (without holding down a button) to get the car to immediately respond. I jokingly told her that she needs a parachute, as some race cars have, so that she can deploy it when using her kill switch. That would be an interesting sight in the WOT lanes around Tyson's Corner each morning, though it could cause a delay to repack the chute.

Interestingly, I have noticed the same thing as many in this area, that we tend to have a large number of hybrids on the road. Some of them don't make me feel as unsafe as I do in a Prius on The Beltway.

I wonder if the HOV exemptions will be renewed on I-66 since it will not have HOT lanes. Then again, I guess that depends upon the number of hybrids since a critical mass of single-occupant hybrids defeats the HOV purpose of 66.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-12-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Actually, we could just change one letter from the HOT lane to the WOT lane (wide open throttle). My friend who has a Gen III Prius that's now parked for the time being, was saying that she'd be much more confident if Toyota put a kill switch into the redesign, so that if something untoward were to happen, there's an emergency procedure (without holding down a button) to get the car to immediately respond. I jokingly told her that she needs a parachute, as some race cars have, so that she can deploy it when using her kill switch. That would be an interesting sight in the WOT lanes around Tyson's Corner each morning, though it could cause a delay to repack the chute.

Interestingly, I have noticed the same thing as many in this area, that we tend to have a large number of hybrids on the road. Some of them don't make me feel as unsafe as I do in a Prius on The Beltway.

I wonder if the HOV exemptions will be renewed on I-66 since it will not have HOT lanes. Then again, I guess that depends upon the number of hybrids since a critical mass of single-occupant hybrids defeats the HOV purpose of 66.
When the Prius starts coming with an ejection seats/parachutes for the driver and passengers - you can really start getting worried... I wonder what Toyota would want to charge for the optional accessory!

I too am just curious about whether the HOV exemptions on I-66 will be renewed since it won't be getting HOT lanes.

I agree - at some point there will be too many hybrids clogging the HOV lanes (if there aren't already) and it will defeat the purpose of the HOV lanes.

I think originally the idea was to encourage people to buy hybrids who commute to DC and the idea of being able to drive in the HOV lane with one driver would get people to buy hybrids. Well, it seems to have worked, and one could argue no one needs that encouragement anymore. Also, if there's so many hybrids in the HOV lanes in addition to other HOV drivers - that the HOV lanes are just as crowded as other lanes - it pretty much defeats the purpose of the HOV lanes.

So, I can forsee a time (maybe soon) where they would want to repeal the law (or let it expire) that permits hybrids to use the HOV lanes.

As I don't drive I-66 (or any other road with HOV lanes during commuter hours) I don't know how the HOV lanes look as far as number of cars, compared to other lanes - and what the proportion of HOV drivers are that are driving by themselves in a hybrid vehicle. I bet there's some estimate of that out there somewhere - those statistics would be interesting to see.

I know this would disappoint a lot of hybrid owners if that law is changed - but I can see it happening at some point in the not-to-distant future. I know it was rather controversial when put in place - or has become more controversial as the number of hybrid drivers in HOV lanes goes up.

Personally, I might now be afraid of driving in an HOV lane as I've heard stories from some hybrid owners of having someone behind them honking their horn, or flashing the lights, or otherwise doing something even more crazy - who either don't understand the law about hybrids in HOV lanes, or else dislike it and are just expressing their anger. I'd just be afraid of encountering some crazy road rage person who'd not be happy that I was by myself in a hybrid in the HOV lane. I've just heard 2 or 3 stories (or read them on the internet) of some really crazy behavior in that regard, on either I-66 or another local highway with HOV lanes, by some hybrid owner who was nearly run off the road by some angry driver who didn't think the hybrid owner belonged in the HOV lane.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:39 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,979,649 times
Quote:
I jokingly told her that she needs a parachute, as some race cars have, so that she can deploy it when using her kill switch. That would be an interesting sight in the WOT lanes around Tyson's Corner each morning, though it could cause a delay to repack the chute.
LOL, a parachute would be a fun accessory to have. It'd be like driving the batmobile!

I think you're right, though, as far as the traffic backup it would cause... just imagine the traffic report in the morning. "Father Hurley Blvd is backed up once again because some fool deliberately ejected his parachute while singing da-da-da-da-da-BATMAN!"

Old 03-12-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
I've just heard 2 or 3 stories (or read them on the internet) of some really crazy behavior in that regard, on either I-66 or another local highway with HOV lanes, by some hybrid owner who was nearly run off the road by some angry driver who didn't think the hybrid owner belonged in the HOV lane.
Really? I hadn't heard that, but I find it interesting. Are they local stories? Do you have links?

The way I see it, it's yet another reason to get rid of the HOV lanes. They haven't really accomplished their purpose (IMO). What I mean is, the lanes have not really encouraged people to carpool. IMO, just as many people will carpool with or without the lanes. And if these accounts are true, apparently the HOV lanes aggravate people to point of causing dangerous driving. So let's be done with them. I like the HOT lane idea better. Free for carpools, but anyone else can use them too if they're willing to pay.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:50 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,456,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
I too am just curious about whether the HOV exemptions on I-66 will be renewed since it won't be getting HOT lanes.

I agree - at some point there will be too many hybrids clogging the HOV lanes (if there aren't already) and it will defeat the purpose of the HOV lanes.
I don't know much about 66 - I think I've been on the road less than a dozen times in all. But 95? Only 28 years of commuting up and down 95/395. One of the very best things about retirement is not facing that chore twice a day!

Hybrid exemption: "Hybrid vehicles with the required clean fuel license plates will continue to be able to use the I-95/395, I-66 and Dulles Toll Road high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes until June 30, 2010, or as long as federal rules allow, according to the Virginia Department of Transportation." This exemption has been approved from one year to the next for many years. I don't have a clue whether it will be extended again.

But the HOV rules for 95 are different. They changed in 2006 - just a couple of months after I bought my Prius. From the same link: "Only hybrid vehicles with clean fuel plates issued before July 1, 2006 can use the I-95/395 HOV lanes during rush hours. All hybrid vehicles with clean fuel plates can use all other HOV lanes in Virginia during HOV hours, including I-66 and the Dulles Toll Road in Northern Virginia."

So the number of hybrids using the "hybrid exemption" (i.e., using the HOV lanes without 3 or more occupants) on 95 was capped almost four years ago. Someone buying a hybrid today cannot get a clean fuel plate issued before 7/1/06 (unless they trade in an old hybrid for a new one, and transfer the tags), so over time, with people moving out of the area - or people like me, retiring & no longer using the HOV lanes - the number of non-HOV3 hybrids in the 95/395 HOV lanes will decrease.

And the HOT lanes will REALLY decrease the number. "Hybrid vehicles will not be able to use the I-495 High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes for free when they are completed. Nor would they be permitted to use the proposed I-95/395 HOT lanes at no charge."

Old 03-12-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Personally, I hope not. It was a good idea as a way to get people to make the paradigm shift to hybrid vehicles. Now that we have so many hybrid vehicles, I don't think it needs to be continued. OTOH, if other drivers do become scared of seeing Toyotas on the road, maybe they would prefer having them relegated to a particular lane.

BTW, this is now my third day of paying attention and seeing if this story has affected local traffic. I drove from Loudoun to Tysons this morning. Nobody seemed alarmed by my Prius. Saw the usual number on the road. So the scaredy-cat who got out of my way two days ago was definitely not the beginning of a trend.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:21 AM

4,453 posts, read 8,149,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Really? I hadn't heard that, but I find it interesting. Are they local stories? Do you have links?

The way I see it, it's yet another reason to get rid of the HOV lanes. They haven't really accomplished their purpose (IMO). What I mean is, the lanes have not really encouraged people to carpool. IMO, just as many people will carpool with or without the lanes. And if these accounts are true, apparently the HOV lanes aggravate people to point of causing dangerous driving. So let's be done with them. I like the HOT lane idea better. Free for carpools, but anyone else can use them too if they're willing to pay.
Haven't encouraged people to carpool? Hmmm, I guess all those sluggers don't count? If the HOV wasn't there, do you think people would just decide to hitch hike into the city with a group of strangers for the fun of it? I don't think so...

Maybe those honking and flashing lights at a hybrid were so they could get out of the fast lane instead of driving 55mph so they can get the best gas mileage... I know that's a big pet peeve of mine.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Maybe those honking and flashing lights at a hybrid were so they could get out of the fast lane instead of driving 55mph so they can get the best gas mileage... I know that's a big pet peeve of mine.
Honking and flashing lights is one thing. I haven't heard of people being deliberately driven off the road, though. That sounds like the kind of thing that used to happen in southern California, it would be very sad if that kind of dangerous stunt was now popping up around here.

My personal experience with Nova drivers is people here are aggressive drivers, but not road rage idiots. Maybe it's because we're just too busy to waste time on road rage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia